Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Boaty McBoatface

I'd accept Boaty McBoatface in a proper poll.

Internet votes count for 1000,000th of a vote where you put pen to paper.

James Hand, a former BBC Radio Jersey presenter, was behind the suggestion of Boaty McBoatface but says he has since apologised to the NERC.

"I've actually been speaking a bit to the people behind the website. I've apologised profusely.

"What I keep saying to people is, this is actually nothing to do with me. I made the suggestion but the storm that's been created, it's got legs of its own....."

Yes, I suppose he now knows how it must have felt to have proposed Jeremy Corbyn as candidate for Labour Party leader just for a laugh.....

"Vunce zer rockets are up,

Who cares ver zey come down?

Zat's not my department"

Sez Wernher von Braun....

• RMweb Premium

First decent ship to be built on the UK Mainland for so many years yet silly names are being suggested for it!  :no:

Mind you, the late Iain M Banks gave so many Culture spaceships silly names in his SF novels! One of my favourites is "Very Little Gravitas Indeed" 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series

• RMweb Premium

First decent ship to be built on the UK Mainland for so many years yet silly names are being suggested for it!  :no:

Mind you, the late Iain M Banks gave so many Culture spaceships silly names in his SF novels! One of my favourites is "Very Little Gravitas Indeed" 

I'm a little worried that someone thought it necessary to list all the ship names from the various novels. I wonder if a 'mind' called 'OCD Creates Distraction' was responsible...

I cracked up big time when I heard the Boaty Mcboatface suggestion. I still chuckle when I hear it. I doubt the powers that be will choose it but I think it's a truly brilliant name. It would make anyone take a second look. I'll vote for it online if their website starts working again (suspicious that, innit?)

Now there's a thought. I should have suggested "Another Fine Product From The Nonsense Factory" ... ;)

Seriously, though, "boaty mcboatface"? Gawd knows why that's attracted so much interest. Surely, if we want to call it something amusing, we could do better than that (yes, I know, don't call me Shirley...)

This sums up the stupid thoughtless Twatter generation currently in vogue where nothing is serious or of value anymore .............. :O 

Mind you we've got history.................... for ships involved in such a gritty situation .................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower-class_corvette#Royal_Navy

If the P2 boys get wind of all this publicity, I can see some nameplates being cast for Choo-Choo McPuff...

Or possibly add that name to the Gresley statue, instead of a duck?

• RMweb Premium

This sums up the stupid thoughtless Twatter generation currently in vogue where nothing is serious or of value anymore .............. :O

Mind you we've got history.................... for ships involved in such a gritty situation .................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower-class_corvette#Royal_Navy

Well it was suggested as a joke, it just got a lot of support. Your post perfectly sums up the overly serious and joyless generations of years gone by!

Well it was suggested as a joke, it just got a lot of support. Your post perfectly sums up the overly serious and joyless generations of years gone by!

I think you have failed to appreciate the ironic sarcasm in the post you criticise.

If the name is topping the polls maybe they should play along and name the ships tender or lifeboat "Boaty McBoatface".

Dave R.

Maybe they could name one of those massive cruise liners the RMS Sir Walter "Ooh What A Big Ship I've Got" Raleigh....

I mean, c'mon, that's never going to appear on a ship, right?

Reminds me of the early '80s telly advert which featured the naming of a vessel in the traditional manner:

"I name this ship...Good heavens. This is Mumm Cordon Rouge Champagne. That's far too good to waste on a ship. Haven't you got anything cheaper....?"

*cue shot of the bows of newly-launched ship, bearing the exact words uttered*

I think maybe you've mis-spelt 'Twitter' earlier in the thread mate :)

And in my opinion, pretty mucbh everything can and should be laughed at, especially the serious stuff. 

Funny!

(see what I did there?)

Imho, like Locomotives, Ships should have serious dignified names, unlike me!

Sir Margoyld Bumchatter Freakshow.

Archived