Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Cap'n moves on

I had a VIP visitor recently, and felt I had to start a topic to send best wishes to our dear Captain - Tim Maddocks who retires at the beginning of April. Tim has been in the West Country since 1992, and worked in Bristol and Swindon Control before that. He was a great Manager, and we always stayed in touch when I worked "Up Country". It was a pleasure to work with him again on my return to the Duchy from 2007 onwards, and his help and advice has been invaluable. 

It's difficult to sum up in words Tim's retirement, but I think a picture speaks volumes. All the best for the future. 

post-2613-0-82571700-1458997305_thumb.jpeg

Looks like it's dropped to wrong. Adjuster needs a couple of turns I think!

post-2613-0-06852300-1458997321_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Tim for the insights to the railway you have brought us over the years!

Happy retirement. :)

Perhaps we could have done without the updates on Pendolino toilets though!  :stinker:

• RMweb Gold

A thoroughly nice bloke, met him a couple of times, the last being in Hartlepool three years ago where surprisingly he wasn't accused as being a French spy although he did take a broadside shot from the Trincomalee.

Enjoy your retirement Tim.

One of the oldest members of RMWeb (certainly long standing and heavily posted). Always a friendly word and with a humorous tale to tell. But this is a retirement not an obituary.

Let's hope you have many years of happy retirement and even more time to post on these pages (not to mention all the extra modelling)

• RMweb Premium

As others have already said I had no idea Tim was 'of retirement age'.

I too had him down as a mere forty something.

I guess that just shows what a life on the railway does for you!

Seriously Tim, all the best for a long and happy retirement.

You deserve it.

PS: I hope this doesn't mean you're also retiring

as honorary chairman of SWAG!!!

I have known Tim for over 40 years, he was generous enough to invite me to visit boxes occasionally, here is Bradford Junction in 1988, with a younger Tim in shot.

post-7177-0-19176300-1459014416_thumb.jpg

And a very young Tim here on the West Somerset in 1975.

post-7177-0-39516800-1459014535_thumb.jpg

Happy retirement!

Well done Tim and welcome to the ranks of the Gentlemen of Leisure, no finer profession I can assure you.

May you share your wit and wisdom with us for many years to come.

• RMweb Gold

Having known Tim for around 30 years I should like to take this opportunity to welcome him (shortly) to the pension fund - and long may he partake of its benefits.  

Well said, Mike (and others). I have been a pensioner of the same august fund for more than 13 years, and can heartily recommend the lifestyle it offers. Long may Tim enjoy it!

• RMweb Premium

Great News Tim and as others have said welcome to the ranks of the very busy.  I'm no nearly 50% of the way towards my target of drawing my pension for longer than I paid it.  I hope that you have the same success in that direction.  However the number of unbuilt kits in the wardrobe has not decreased in the intervening 14 years.  You will no doubt find that you very soon don't know how you had time to go to work.  

Jamie

Now what do we do? Our oracle of railway goings on is retiring; all that inside info, pictures of possessions we could not normally see and many other examples that the good Cap'n has imparted over the years. Who can fill his place.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Who can fill his place.Brian

I fear Network Rail may be facing the same problem. My limited observation of Tim's activities suggest he has handled a huge role with considerable aplomb. Not all potential successors may be made of the same stuff. It's the sausages, of course.

• RMweb Gold

Big shoes to fill for someone obviously brilliant at his job and I wish him well in early retirement. It must be the lovely South Hams that keeps him looking so young as he doesn't look a day over 56.

• RMweb Premium

I fear Network Rail may be facing the same problem. My limited observation of Tim's activities suggest he has handled a huge role with considerable aplomb. Not all potential successors may be made of the same stuff. It's the sausages, of course.

...and the Cornish pasties.

Happy retirement, Cap'n.

I wish you also, Herr Captain, a happy and long retirement. Do go out and buy yourself a shed, a "man" cave. A place you can hide in or you will be inundated with tasks to help you pass the days away. Some people think retirees must be kept "busy". I have heard that railway modelling can be used here.

I do trust you have informed your present "lords and masters" of your intentions to retire. It saves them wondering as to your whereabouts and why you have not been seen lately. :stinker:

Archived