Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

When you know you've reached your limit with models

• RMweb Premium

Here in the US I see many modellers who just collect every loco of 'their' road. Each to his own, but I don't really understand it.

You see a version of that here as well. There are those who have every Deltic, or every Spamcan etc. Completist is the word that might be used. I sort of understand where they are coming from but it doesn't appeal to me.  

You see a version of that here as well. There are those who have every Deltic, or every Spamcan etc. Completist is the word that might be used. I sort of understand where they are coming from but it doesn't appeal to me.  

I know a lot of people don't "get" trainspotting and number-taking, but I see it as a model form of trainspotting.  You 'copped' the whole class at some point in your youth - and then you want to collect them all in model form.

I would certainly do so for certain 'pet' locos - with the Class 50's, 50003, 50014 and 50046 have particular memories for me so I've made a point of getting models of those but haven't felt the need to collect all 50 of them.

I suppose a lot of it boils down to whether you want to display them all on your layout (and you have the space to do so) or leave them in boxes in the loft.

First World problem alert! We had better be careful that it doesn't get a citation on the wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World_problem

First World problem is a slang term used to refer to issues in First World nations that are complained about only because of the absence of more pressing concerns. The term was added to the Oxford Dictionary Online in November 2012, and to the Macquarie Dictionary Online in December 2012.

Of course every problem related to model railways qualifies as one...

I know a lot of people don't "get" trainspotting and number-taking, but I see it as a model form of trainspotting.  You 'copped' the whole class at some point in your youth - and then you want to collect them all in model form.

I would certainly do so for certain 'pet' locos - with the Class 50's, 50003, 50014 and 50046 have particular memories for me so I've made a point of getting models of those but haven't felt the need to collect all 50 of them.

I suppose a lot of it boils down to whether you want to display them all on your layout (and you have the space to do so) or leave them in boxes in the loft.

I like having a lot of locos from the classes that historically would have appeared in the correct era, but not from a 'completedness of class' point of view.

I just like to think that if a particular B1 has passed east on an excursion to Skegness, the next B1 which appears is going to have a different number; and that will also be different to the one that currently languishes on shed.

My viewpoint is one of a lineside spotter, and I would not expect to have seen the same loco passing by with the same coaching stock (all carriages with identical numbers) every few minutes in real life; therefore I don't expect to see it on my layout.

My viewpoint is one of a lineside spotter, and I would not expect to have seen the same loco passing by with the same coaching stock (all carriages with identical numbers) every few minutes in real life; therefore I don't expect to see it on my layout.

But in 'compressed layout time', where something can go somewhere and come back in a fairly short period of time, plus the average exhibition viewer only being a few minutes, you can probably get away with 3 of a class rather than 30 and still run a reasonable service.

After all, unless they are distinctly different, at speed they'll all look the same anyway from about 4ft away.

But in 'compressed layout time', where something can go somewhere and come back in a fairly short period of time, plus the average exhibition viewer only being a few minutes, you can probably get away with 3 of a class rather than 30 and still run a reasonable service.

After all, unless they are distinctly different, at speed they'll all look the same anyway from about 4ft away.

Yes, most likely.

I was not referring to general exhibition layouts, although if I had one I of my own I would try to adopt the same principles.

My thoughts were purely from a personal layout point of view, where there is no compressed time element. There may be a variable clock starting point element, but for me one hour = one hour. If there is a 30 minute gap between scheduled services on the main line, then the shed pilot can always move locos around, the goods sidings can be shunted, or the station pilot can fuss around with parcels vans.

The only person to be entertained on my layout is my "virtual boyhood excited 1950s spotter" alter ego.

The only person to be entertained on my layout is my "virtual boyhood excited 1950s spotter" alter ego.

Of course - your layout, your rules :) That's the thing I love about modelling, there is no "one way" to do it right, we all have our different needs and styles.

• RMweb Premium

Wow, Reality check hits the Mainstream!!! :yes: :lol:

Despite all the propaganda that is endemic these days (not just in modelling) - happiness & contentment in the hobby is NOT dependant on the constant purchasing of new models!!!

Clue to this revelation is in the word "modelling"; opening RTR boxes has a place, but making stuff for yourself is rather more satisfying.

Like or agree seem woefully inadequate responses to a post which hits the nail so fairly and squarely on the head.

• RMweb Premium

Stopped random buiyng now as I have a huge backlog and getting older

I am working on now making actual trains from my pile of stock.

I am buying vehicles to fill in the gaps, mainly BGs.

Aiming for roughly 12 sets.

All BR

1 HST - complete

1 Mark 3 - 3/4 collected

4 aircon Mark 2, 1 set at 2/3rds, another half, both others collecting stock

3 Mark 2, 2 half done and part collected, one unstarted

2 Mark 1 large, loads of stock, need to work out rakes

1 Mark 1 GWR150 need to respray

Only 1 set is complete, 4 coming along well

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it just the law of diminishing returns? Others have written they remember the days saving their pocket money eventually getting to the stage they could afford that loco they wanted. It was something special and they remember the thrill of buying it, or receiving it as a gift. Then as you get older you can probably afford it more easily, you are acquiring things more frequently and because you've lots of them probably run them less. The whole thing is just less memorable.

On my railway I've got the heritage fleet. Each loco was given to me as present and I can remember by who and when. They are something special. The ones I've bought myself are blurring into one another and are definitely not as special. I've reached saturation point , to the extent that I actually forgot I had a model of an Austerity 0-6-0 until reminded by a thread on here. Similarly with rising prices is the C2 Atlantic that I've run three times in the last year for £189 really worth it.

I think with age you just become more discerning

I know when I've reached my limit with models....

attachicon.gifPFW-2014-Endless-Photography-30-X2.jpg

some way to go yet, just hope the hairspray supply lasts

Altogether now:

"I'm too sexy for my gauge

Too sexy for my gauge

Too sexy to rage...

I'm too sexy for my rail

Too sexy for my rail

Too sexy to fail....

I've got models,

You know what I mean

And they shake their chassis down

on the trackwork,

On the trackwork,

On the trackwork, yeah,

They shake their chassis down

On the trackwork..."

:jester: 

I've always shied away from 'celebratory' locos (and stock) for a layout. e.g. If I was modelling late 70s BR blue, then all locos would be standard blue with standard yellow ends. That way its not so obvious that the same one appears on the layout multiple times in a short period of time.

I've always shied away from 'celebratory' locos (and stock) for a layout. e.g. If I was modelling late 70s BR blue, then all locos would be standard blue with standard yellow ends. That way its not so obvious that the same one appears on the layout multiple times in a short period of time.

I'm the same, specials seem appropriate only if you are either a collector or have a very large stud so it can disappear for a bit.

Although the same can apply to named locomotives - 47555 had quite a long name in a unique position as did Isambard Kingdom Brunel.  I didn't by 47408 in N because it was named and more often than not 47s didn't have names.

• RMweb Premium

Actually Neil, you're responsible for my current realisation.

I think I may be lucky that I worked out that the fun came in making, early. At primary school my best friend had a layout and a skilled and encouraging father who made sure he had tools, paint and free rein to 'customise' his trains. It was catching and before I knew it my toys came under the paintbrush and knife too. I became hooked on making long before I could afford to buy and the habit is now long established.

Having said that I found my wallet loosened by Hornby's rod coupled Sentinel and I've put my name down for a Peckett when they arrive. They are the first brand new locos I have bought for decades.

Some great points and I wish I could throw a novel point of view into the mix to add a bit to the discussion.

At present I do find myself a bit "retail therapy" deprived but for slightly different reasons.In a nutshell a planned house move with an unplanned outcome (the large four bed detached got dropped in favour of a two bed bungalow on a river side idyll), has meant that the old layout got binned and the revised new layout is waiting on a the construction of new accommodation. Even just practical modelling is a bit of an intrusion (those seven drum kits have to live somewhere you know). So a large proportion of what I would usually buy, scenics, paint and modelling materials has little requirement. So purchases of rolling stock and loco's are kind of whats left to keep my interest and being honest even though my chosen era's palette is pretty broad. I find myself waiting on the release of stuff or things to come back into stock. I'd love a couple more Hornby HST's, particularly in Fag Packet livery or better still Merlin. DMU's and EMU's in regional liveries suitable for WCML operation and lets not talk about waiting for Bachmann's much mentioned Class 90. Heljans 86's (yes yes yes I know I know) are like hens teeth in anything but Anglian livery and it doesn't look like Heljan will put there head above the wire with a release of any new ones in the foreseeable. Oh and lets not forget coaching stock for the above.

Although I'd agree we seem to be suffering from a surplus of riches across the hobby at the moment there are some glaring holes OHLE for one. Yes there is the secondhand market, but it doesn't take to long to make the most of that and when modelling capacity returns to my little stretch of the Severn Valley. I shall be engaged in building the layout, so rolling stock will be a case of a bit of strategic weathering and dealing with glaring errors rather than anything more subtle or complete resprays. 

The problem is there is some very, very, tempting stuff out there.

For example, I have just 'found' a kit for a Brighton 0-4-2 tank on the web. Withdrawn in the 1880s, and of absolutely no use to me in terms of period or company. No conceivable excuse can be drawn up. And yet I am tempted, not least because it's not impossibly expensive and it's quite lovely. 

This is in O Gauge by the way. In 4mm scale the temptation is infinitely worse. You need a really strong will never to buy anything that you don't absolutely need.

Definitely an interesting topic. My own desire has been to recreate the railway I knew in my youth, and I am trying just now to reduce this to two particular favourite periods, BR in 1972 and 1976. Over the years I have amassed far more stock than I could ever hope to operate at any one time, and despite trying to limit myself to things I actually saw I still managed to acquire some non-appropriate items such as Baby Deltics and Claytons. The range of stock that has been produced now (many thanks for this to Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby and others) naturally means that there is less left to get, causing a reduction in excitement over new items. My future purchasing is likely to be fewer but better things, and I hope not to lose the pleasure that a new model can bring.  

I'd say that finding space for seven drum kits was DEFINITELY a "First World Problem".... I had a "purge" on musical instruments over the winter, I was at home for over four months and all the banjos I have scattered about came home to roost as projects ended, and containers were emptied. Sold four...

When did the term "First World" come into use? I'd always understood the definition to be Old World (Europe, European Russia and the Near Eastern Ottoman Empire), New World (The Americas and Australia/NZ) and the Third World (Africa and Asia). But I find a quite different "Three Worlds Theory" dating from the 1970s

Now, if your percussion was from around the world: no problem. 

When did the term "First World" come into use?

I took first world to not be a geographic located label more of where the 'western' or developed society exists - and that could be anywhere on the globe.

I think if I were to try and put all my locos and freight cars on my layout, I'd run out of track before I ran out of vehicles. So I've got one more loco on order and that will be that for a while, need to do the scenics next. I've done my first kitbash a while ago, and that was highly rewarding, so more of that I think...

Of course if I happen to come across a bargain HO model of the SPs RDC #10...

Interesting topic. There is another factor which weighs into the equation namely how much time has one got left? Being aware of this, I have been selling off items that realistically I will never use. At least that way someone else has the potential for some pleasure out of it. I now find myself the proud owner of several class B17s when my layout will only deal with two at the most. I just love them. As time moves on though I can see these going too as I do not want to leave a massive problem to my family. Just to think that all I really wanted as a lad was a Dublo Duchess of Montrose and I never ever had one!  (TheTri-ang  princess I did get was not really in the same class at all. Even at 7 years old I could recognise quality in a model.) That is why when I see a Hornby Dublo layout I am taken back to the days of longing and wishing!

I very rarely buy anything other than paint and materials these days.

Martin Long

Archived