RMweb

DCC Concepts - OO Gauge bullhead turnouts

Nick Holliday

• RMweb Gold

*** Hi Vistiaen

Its actually quite a fair question - and important to most of us...

Its impossible at this stage to be 100% accurate to the decimal point... but the "Accurate Trackwork Modellers Answer" is - Its up to you to choose!

IE: Measuring our prototypes and assessing the possible "totally safe / no risk" cut limits for the divergent track, the centres "as built" will be 50mm (Also needed anyway for tighter radii spacings).

However its realistically possible and very easy to adjust the divergent track length to achieve slightly tighter than a fully prototypical minimum 6 foot way. 

I hope that answers your question well enough

Regards

Richard

That was just what I need to know, thank you and circa 50mm is quite precise enough for me!

Hi,

The correct track centre measurement for 4mm scale is 44.67mm, however this should be increased for sidings etc and especially for curves, 50mm approx sounds reasonably safe for curves but of course if you intend running something like 70ft dreadnoughts or have sharp curves you might need to check it out. You can of course do this in Templot.

• RMweb Gold

*** I am going to be a bit slow responding for the next 10 days or so. I am travelling to China and then in your direction :-)

so - apologies in advance

regards

Richard

Have a good trip and if it is not a holiday, a productive one :yes: 

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

The correct track centre measurement for 4mm scale is 44.67mm, however this should be increased for sidings etc and especially for curves, 50mm approx sounds reasonably safe for curves but of course if you intend running something like 70ft dreadnoughts or have sharp curves you might need to check it out. You can of course do this in Templot.

Hi Stephen

The minimum is 44.67mm.

Of course if you're running GWR centenary stock, ex-broad gauge routes or some parts of the GCR it clearly needs to be more.

As regards the dropper issue, things are pending until I get some more of the etched fishplates (C&L don't seem to do them any more and the Brassmasters aren't suitable for this application), so I'll just have to wait for the EMGS order to arrive. Members should note that they are now back in stock.

Hi Stephen

The minimum is 44.67mm.

Of course you could argue that, if it's based on the method the prototype uses, it should be six feet plus half the gauge plus the rail width times two. To scale that would be:

24 + (8.25 + 0.8) x 2 = 42.1mm

:)

• RMweb Gold

Of course you could argue that, if it's based on the method the prototype uses, it should be six feet plus half the gauge plus the rail width times two. To scale that would be:

24 + (8.25 + 0.8) x 2 = 42.1mm

:)

That won't work unless you use narrower trains than the prototype. :)

The track gauge doesn't come into it. A better rule would be -- width of train plus 2ft.

(9ft-3in + 2ft = 11ft-3in = 45mm)

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 2

That won't work unless you use narrower trains than the prototype. :)

The track gauge doesn't come into it. A better rule would be -- width of train plus 2ft.

(9ft-3in + 2ft = 11ft-3in = 45mm)

Martin.

I confess.

It was a "wind up" aimed at those who insist 16.5 mm represents 4 foot 8.5 inches  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was a "wind up" aimed at those who insist 16.5 mm represents 4 foot 8.5 inches  ;)

I know. Unfortunately I have seen that argument put forward seriously. Always remember this is RMweb. :)

p.s. you got the rail width wrong. It should be 0.92mm. (2.3/4")

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite so, but I was using SMP rail which is a bit too skinny  :)

At the risk of REALLY getting things going...

If the rails are tilted inwards as they will be in the new DCC track, just where do you measure the track centre from?  is the center at the top of rail surface, the bottom close to the sleepers, or in the center of the height?

. And that is just your starter for 10. I have a follow up question for when the arguments die down a bit. :scared: 

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of REALLY getting things going...

If the rails are tilted inwards as they will be in the new DCC track, just where do you measure the track centre from?  is the center at the top of rail surface, the bottom close to the sleepers, or in the center of the height?

At the risk of taking track seriously in this topic, rail gauge is measured 9/16th of an inch below the rail top (14mm). That's because there is a 1/2 inch top corner radius on the rail head (13mm).

That scales to 0.19mm below the rail top in 4mm scale.

Martin.

Like the previous poster, at the risk of getting serious, the gauge should be measured with an internal micrometer which has a calibration traceable to national standards at the National Physical Laboratory.  Vernier calipers are, at best, good comparators but are second best to calibrated micrometers - even the good ones from Mitutoyo and Radio Spares.  The cheap ones available at some stalls in model railway shows are poor and may as well be used as G-clamps. Forget rulers for this sort of measurement.

peterfg

Like the previous poster, at the risk of getting serious, the gauge should be measured with an internal micrometer which has a calibration traceable to national standards at the National Physical Laboratory.  Vernier calipers are, at best, good comparators but are second best to calibrated micrometers - even the good ones from Mitutoyo and Radio Spares.  The cheap ones available at some stalls in model railway shows are poor and may as well be used as G-clamps. Forget rulers for this sort of measurement.

peterfg

Quite right, and layouts should only be built on a surface table, preferably granite :O 

This is model railway track that's being discussed, and according to my 1963ish Model Railways Handbook 7th Edition, the BRMSB standard for OO track centres is 50mm, measured from the centre of the sleepers. I hope that finally resolves this discussion :senile:.