Ian Allan Manchester

westernglory

The following has appeared on Facebook -

It is with deep regret that we announce the closure of our Book & Model Shop in Manchester on 30 June. This is due to the expiry of the shop unit’s lease and failure of negotiations with the landlord to agree an acceptable rent. It is very sad news, but we would like to take this opportunity thank our staff and loyal customers in Manchester for their support over the past twenty-two years.

sad to here was always helpful and you could always ask for a call when a item you wanted came into stock. even when after a book i wanted last year was not in stock the lad went and got me the isbn number so i could track it down.  the window display was always something to look at when passing

• RMweb Gold

That is a great shame; I wish the staff well in the summer. I have been in there a number of times, spent probably too much money, and managed to pick up a few things that had sold out elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

I've been through Piccadilly dozens of times in the last few years without ever remembering that there's an Ian Allan right there; last time I did remember and after wandering around for a few minutes looking for it, popped in just before my train was due to leave. Friendly shop which will undoubtedly be missed by locals, as (as other has noted) we still miss our branch in Cardiff.

I hope the branch in Birmingham is doing better; I've visited a few times in recent months and it seemed busy. Would be a shame to lose that one as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I've only been to this shop once and its an absolute treasure trove. I was planning a trip this summer to buy some of the books that I've always wanted. I can't see myself being able to get over there before the end of June though. I assume that they are not open on Sundays?

No they don't open Sundays - Monday to Saturday till 5pm but the sale is on so if you are coming be quick.

Hope they find another location in Manchester I always pop in when I'm down there.

I keep asking them to open one in Glasgow

The manager told me there is no chance of another shop opening in Manchester as the rents are too high.

Peter

I shall use my bus pass tomorrow (valid on trains in Greater Manchester) to visit Ian Allans.shop.

I'll let you know what I find.  Sad it's closing though.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Exactly the same as happened to the Cardiff shop, which is still empty.

Dave

Surely the landlords would have been better off with 100% of a smallish rent, rather than 0% of a bigger one? Unless the rumours of yuppy flats for the whole arcade have some substance?

• RMweb Premium

That just leaves Waterloo & Birmingham, both very good shops but one suspects running retail booksellers is a pretty non-core activity now the great man has passed on. Their special offers are always worth a browse.

Dava

Surely the landlords would have been better off with 100% of a smallish rent, rather than 0% of a bigger one? Unless the rumours of yuppy flats for the whole arcade have some substance?

Tim,

IIRC the valuation of a commercial property in the Landlord's Balance Sheet is based on a multiple of the rent for occupied property whereas a vacant property is based on a figure provided by a valuer.

So the balance sheet of the Landlord could show a higher asset valuation if the property is vacant.

Walked past the shop yesterday, still vacant but seems to be now split into smaller properties.

Regards,

Dave

Archived