Do the general public think we're nuts?

Peter Kazmierczak

I was at my local station at midnight on Saturday, videoing ballast moves - and it was the night the temperature dropped to freezing.

The public giving us abuse ? - pfff, I even get abuse from fellow "modellers", one guys been doing it for around 8 years now. (Waves to my fans)

You spend hours taking photographs and some even more with a tape measure taking dimensions to build a model from, however you then get abuse!

Move ahead a few years ahead and there is all hell let loose because Models are produced with livery errors and dimensional errors!

Record events today as tomorrow is History! Record coal movements to power stations as this will soon be a memory!

Mark Saunders

There again, some of us within the hobby can be just as subjective, here I must hold my hands up, and admit that I do not understand any interest, in railways, other than steam traction - but I suppose nutters is a bit strong :sungum: .

• RMweb Premium
Record events today as tomorrow is History! Record coal movements to power stations as this will soon be a memory!

Good point, how often are there plenty of records of the unusual but trying to get good pictures of the routine is a hassle because few people paid much attention to it when it was commonplace?

Great video which even my limited French could follow

I love the model of a French village on a hill at 2:00 mins

I've not been able to identify the layout they used for the filming. From that beautifully modelled village it clearly wasn't built for the film and I'd guess it was from one of the Cheminot's (railway workers) MRCs as the village is to a much higher standard of modelling than the rest.  Most of the layout was a mixture of Hornby-Acho and Jouef but the actual signals seem to have been from a more upmarket range made by the not ideally Franglais named "Baby Trains" firm that accurately reproduced all the standard SNCF CLS signal heads. In French signalling the shape of the signal has always been signficant in aiding driver recognition and that carried over from mechanical signalling to CLS.

I also had Bayko but got a bit bored with it as I always seemed to end up building the same couple of Metroland houses. Perhaps for that reason it used to be very popular with Estate Agents who often had a Bayko suburban bay fronted house in their window. I never had Lego so the family's feet were safe!!

• RMweb Gold

Good point, how often are there plenty of records of the unusual but trying to get good pictures of the routine is a hassle because few people paid much attention to it when it was commonplace?

If you want pictures of EMT 158s or AGA 170s around Eccles Road I have hundreds, in fact it's probably into the thousands.

Indeed, when I used to take slides (I am seriously considering going back as digital just doesnt look right) I used to only take shots of the 'special' stuff whether that was locos, coaches etc, until I got towards the end of the film when I would just fire the last 2 or 3 off at anything ordinary passing, guess which shots now give me the most pleasure to look at?

Now I take pictures of anything and everything on or near the rails.

I had Bakyo and am still reminded of it when I see brick houses with bay windows..

...of the kind that prompted the Ribbon Development Act of 1935. As a child I used to shut my eyes in an express train till my mum or aunt said we were out through the suburbs into open country.

The device I really lusted after was Juneero - the big lever jobbie that let you fabricate real metal things without those naff holes all over them.

dh

Ah, the No. 10 set, every schoolboys' dream......nice wooden box too!  I grew up with the green and red stuff but occasionally some older gold and blue items turned up.

Wasn't the gold (yellow) and blue stuff the newer version. I had that as a child, only set 2 though, but some red and green items were donated to me. I remember them being incompatible, particularly the hole sizes and pitch, probably beacause of the nuts and bolts which were akso of different thread and head types.

The Wikipedia on Meccano gives a full history although is rather confusingly written. Gold and blue parts were introduced in 1934 in the UK only. This changed back to green and red in 1945. Under Line Bros (Triang) ownership in the 1960s colours were changed to black and yellow; black was subsequently changed to blue...... Apparently the original imperial hole size and spacing (0.5 inch pitch) is unchanged so all 100 years plus of Meccano should be compatible.

Some years ago I was fortunate to have the opportunity to drive Flying Scotsman. 

The response to this when I bring it into the conversation (which I do with sickening regularity) is mixed.

More often than not people are very interested and sometimes impressed. Others do tend to take the micky but to everyone I stress that it's the most enjoyable thing you can do with your clothes on. That seems to bring a common reference into the conversation and defuses any negative comments.

I think that if you are discussing our hobby one to one, most people are interested but there are some yob tendencies, with a limited number of people, which surface when in public or in a group. It's the macho thing to do to single out someone or something, for any number of reasons.

Mind you, there are some strange people in any hobby. It's just that we seems to have more than our fair share.

I like the British sense of humour because we don't mind making fun of ourselves. Maybe we should get in first, before others do.

Bob 

• 7 months later...

Yes they think we are nuts and weirdos but it would be OK if we drank lots of lager and were drunken slobs.

Actually the problem with the great british public is they don't think much about anything, just react!.

How very true sadly.

Strange but I don't recall ever having a negative reaction from anyone when I have said I build model railways. Most people are interested and a common reaction is "Oh, my uncle* [*father/brother etc.] does that". It never occurred to me there was anything to feel defensive about until I just read this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty open about my interests with folk and the reactions are generally positive and interested. Particularly when you show the photos of fully-finished models and the part constructed etched kits. Perhaps with Carlisle being a railway town and Glasgow having been a centre of engineering there's a greater appreciation in such places. I sense something similar around Newcastle too. I used to get a bit of a ribbing sometimes from my old police colleagues, but that was just the standard p***taking that everybody gave and got. Individually, the guys were generally appreciative of the creativity that went into the models.

In any case do what you enjoy and remember that you don't have to justify that to anybody with a judgemental mindset. Therefore in response to the OP; do the general public think we're nuts?

Do we care..? ;-)

Dave.

Guest 40-something

Having witnessed the Christmas shopping frenzy in all its glory this last week I'd be inclined to suggest the general public are nuts  !!

Compliments of the season,  Cliff. 

I saw a couple having a complete meltdown in Tesco yesterday because the shop was shut on Boxing Day, calling the staff all sorts of names and questioning their parentage

Archived