Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Victoria Wood dies after short battle with cancer

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

R.I.P. Victoria. While not always comedic to my taste, I still enjoyed Wood and Walters, the stand up, and the songs, and the rest.

Cancer is having a field day with our celebrities of a certain age this year, it seems.

• RMweb Premium

Very sad, she was a great talent and left a legacy of some terrific comedy and performances as well as seeming to be a very well adjusted and normal human being unlike some celebs. This was a big shock, she was not old and she has been taken before her time.

She was an extraordinary talent. Some of the best comedy sketches ever ("Two soups", anyone?), to heavyweight and rather moving dramas (like "Housewife, 49"). Even if she did nothing other than spoof soap opera "Acorn Antiques", she would be a comedy legend - and a pioneering woman comedian.

Very sad news.

Paul

That is really sad news. I have seen her live show in the past and it was one of the best around at the time, as long as you could cope with all the dozy men references.

The world will be a less funny place without her.

Unbelievable news.

Another vote here for the Barry and Freda song as one of the funniest comic songs of all time. Some of the contrived rhyming in that song is breathtaking, continually puncturing the supposed specialness of passion with an instant down-to-earth reference. No doubt it will be played repeatedly over the next few days but why not? - her equivalent of the Two Ronnies 'Four Candles...'

I had the privilege of seeing her live once (including performing THAT song). A truly unique talent, taken from us far too young.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Unbelievable news.

Another vote here for the Barry and Freda song as one of the funniest comic songs of all time. Some of the contrived rhyming in that song is breathtaking, continually puncturing the supposed specialness of passion with an instant down-to-earth reference. No doubt it will be played repeatedly over the next few days but why not? - her equivalent of the Two Ronnies 'Four Candles...'

I had the privilege of seeing her live once (including performing THAT song). A truly unique talent, taken from us far too young.

Already started on Radio 2.  I've just come in from the car, having driven back from town, and had to leave the car with the ignition on while every nuance of this masterpiece came through my speakers.

Just in case there is anybody who hasn't heard this and doubled up laughing - here it is:

RIP VIctoria, you made me laugh time and time again.  There'll be no dry eyes in Heaven tonight as everybody will be crying with laughter.

• Like 6

I too had the absolute pleasure of seeing one of her live performances - one of the best evenings' entertainment I have ever had.

Such an amazing depth of ideas and characters that she generated over the years, and an ability to turn them into such watchable material.

How on earth could anyone gain such inspiration for "Two Soups"?

R.I.P. Victoria. So many of your catchphrases will continue to cause merriment in our household for years to come. Coconut Macaroon, anyone?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

"Life's not fair is it? Some drink champagne in fast lane & some eat sandwiches by loose chippings on A597"

Sad news indeed. Dinner Ladies was compulsory viewing at home at the time, and whenever I see a hostess trolley it still raises a wry smile.

Tom.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Whilst she wasn't my ideal sense of humour I appreciate her huge talent and such a shame for her to lose the big C battle at such a reasonably young age for these days.

My other half used to love a Dinner Ladies and I would also watch we when on the TV

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

While I sympathise with the comment, don't forget that cancer is also rampant in ordinary folks as well.

Unfortunately so. I do not know what form of the disease took the poor lady, nor whether it was primary or secondary, but one photo I have seen suggested to me that she had had chemo-therapy.

And let's not forget that survival rates continue to improve as science gets to grips. A number of RMwebbers can testify to that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As someone who has cancer, though at present it's not visible, I have spoken to my oncologist who is a leading light in his field ,writing text books that are used the world over.

He says they will never find a cure for it as every single one is different. But as said above survival rates do improve which is down to new techniques in radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

He also says that while lifestyle is an important factor luck of the draw is an even greater factor in getting the thing.

• RMweb Premium

Cancer is like the common cold, or even HIV - we'll never beat it outright, but we'll find ways to live with it. I don't think she would mind me saying, but a friend's wife has been battling cancer for the last year and a half, some of it very nasty. Thanks to finding it relatively early, to more targeted chemo, and to the Gamma Knife in St Bartholomew's, she's still alive and not currently falling back. There will be better treatments still in the years and decades to come, such that though nearly 50% of people will get cancer at some point in their lives, most will control it if caught early enough. My mum had cancer back in the early 1980s, it was surgically removed. It was nearly twenty-eight years later that liver cancer took her, and only because it was missed due to other health and diagnostic problems.

And that point about early diagnosis is probably the most important. If it's caught early enough. That's where the real advances in controlling cancer will probably come from.

I'm touching wood for my friend's wife at this point, as I don't want to jinx anything by 'talking' about it.

Edited by Ian J.