Drawings and parts for classes 81 to 84 and 86 to 89

Interestingly the design of the diamond and cross armed pans in that video is very different to the GEC/ AEI design. The arms of the GEC pan are clamped to a tube which surrounds another tube acting as a bearing, which is much more resistant to lateral 'play'. The GEC pan also features equalising cross members mounted atop or below this tube, ensures the longitudinal stability of the pan, at least while in good condition...

GEC_cross_arm_pan.jpg

I'm intrigued by that photo. Is that pantograph fitted to the test coach Mentor (possibly on the Old Dalby test track)? 

• RMweb Gold

I'm intrigued by that photo. Is that pantograph fitted to the test coach Mentor (possibly on the Old Dalby test track)? 

I wonder if it is M395580? The pictures on train testing show it coupled to another similar vehicle (as seen in the background above) but with Stone-Faiveley AMBR pan. See here: http://www.traintesting.com/Mentor.htm

Andy G

Yes, it is M395580 

"Here is a classic picture taken from the roof of the ex-LMS pantograph test vehicle (Lab 26) as the train rounds Folly Hall curve and heads down the Widmerpool straight in 1973 not long after the equipment had been installed. 

The AEI Cross Arm pantograph has been heavily modified with an extra top arm and carries various items of instrumentation. The second vehicle also carries another AEI Cross Arm pan, possibly a servo-assisted derivative."

Part way down this page http://www.old-dalby.com/HSCCP.htm

Andi

Just to divert a bit , has anyone sampled the shawplan class 87 screen frames and glazing ? And if so have any finished photos .

Not yet, as I still haven't figured out a way to fix the rest of the Cab yet (the cab sides are too inset). But Mr Hanson let me have a peak at the artwork a while back, so no doubt they are just as brilliant as the Class 50 frames. Hopefully i'll pick up a couple of packs this weekend at the Bristol Model Railway Exhibition.

That is indeed the Old Dalby test track. http://www.old-dalby.com/HSCCP.htm

I see Andi has beaten me to it!

Regards

Matt

• Like 1

Morning all, I'm currently planning on a long term project of producing a member of each of the AL1 to class 89 fleet(s), specifically those preserved by the NRM and ACLG, including the 86's that have recently been sold. I'm wondering if anyone has a set of side and nose on drawings of any of these classes. Of course, Bachmann's 85 will be used for 85006 and there is the golden arrow kit of 89001 so that is these sorted. I plan to use the cabs from Hornby 86's and Bachmann warship chassis as a base, suitably modified of course for the 81-84, and possibly the 86's. I'm unsure what to do with motor situation on the 87's so I would be very grateful for any advice on this and pantographs.

Cheers,

Hi

I do have an AL1 resin body from a DC Kits model that I can let you have. I bought the kit to make an AL1 but in the end used a Trix/Liliput body that I had bought from Dapol many years ago when they bought the British outline 'oo' gauge tools from Liliput. The problem with the DC Kits body is its a bit banana shaped with the cabs at a bit of an angle to the rest of the body. I also found the same problem with their AL5 body. PM me if its any use.

I visited the Bristol Model Railway Exhibition yesterday, where Mr Hanson of Shawplan forced upon me a set of his now finished etch for Class 87 Reinforced Cab Front Window Frames.

As with anything in his Extreme Etchings range, they are 100% accurate to the prototype, and very finely detailed. This has caused me to dig out my Class 87 and put it back on my workbench, Hopefully I can get these fitted sometime this week, once I've filed out the window apertures to the correct size.

2016 05 01 12.16.15

2016 05 01 10.37.29

Also of note, is a Laserglaze set for the Lima/ Hornby Class 87 as is, with no modification to the Cab Windscreens required.

Regards

Matt

Edited by ClikC

It would be good, if someone did a 00 scale 3d printed accurate class 81,82,83,84 and then had the shell's cast in resin, I know we had these from the Apple green models, but they are extremely poor for today's standard's.

When did it become unacceptable to hack RTR stuff around!?! I' m still doing it and I don't think anyone should feel apologetic for doing it too. Nice work by the way, most of my AC projects have stalled unfortunately....

The issues I have with it (and by which I mean my own models from 20 years ago) is some of the inaccuracies from the donor model are retained, such as the Triang 81 or Hornby 86 windows, or the Lima class 50 radiator grilles. I had never thought to modify the short Hornby 86 bogies, they were just accepted "as is" although my Lima 87 did receive proper ones from a Hornby 90.

Anything but a pancake motor was virtually unheard of (I did acquire a Roco DB110 chassis for an 83), but this included fitting Lima ones in Hornby 86 sideframes and scouraging swapmeets for ex-APT motors, two of these in a weighted 86 could probably make the Earth spin backwards. It was a funny time for modelling, Hornby and Lima were only doing new liveries on old tooling and MTK had finished after their 325 and DVT.

Edited by 298
  • Like 2

My apologies for the lack of an update until now, but rest assured there is progress. The two aforementioned books have been ordered (only one has arrived so far) and a body and floor for 81002 is on the way. I'm waiting for the second book to arrive so I can compare references before cutting plastic. A donor loco for 86213 is here and the body for 86101 is on the way. That 84 is absolutely stunning and if any of mine end up anywhere near as good then I will be more than happy. Just as an aside, a space has been set aside in the plan for the new loft layout for a slightly squished version of Barrow Hill. It finds itself wedged between Grosmont and Loughbrough (themselves surrounded by Nottingham) so I have some scenic trickery to devise

Cheers, 60800

Bit of an update my end, found some time today to fit the Shawplan Extreme Etchings Class 87 Reinforced Cab Front Window Frames to the Helimjan Class 87.

2016 05 05 17.50.21

2016 05 05 17.50.05

And a 'Before' image for comparison.

2016 05 05 13.58.29

I think the images speak for themselves, really transforms the face of the Lima 87.

Regards

Matt
Edited by ClikC
  • Like 2

Damn, two reasons to phone Mr Hanson in the next few days now then

*makes mental note to actually get round to doing so*

Andi

He's a little difficult to get hold of ATM, as he's currently rebuilding part of his house! When I spoke to him at Bristol he'd finally got the roof finished. But well worth the effort, I personally think they are his best window etch to date.

Regards

Matt

Thanks for the 87 photos, my etches arrived today so time to crack on, I assume that you flattened off the old screen lining .and having studied various photos I note that the cab grill drops too far down tor wards the top of the screens and the cab roof needs the edges rounding off very slightly.

I made these changes as an experiment on a spare 87 body I have when practicing making glazing with perspect /acetate sheet the result was good but no where near as good as the new etching.

Thanks for the 87 photos, my etches arrived today so time to crack on, I assume that you flattened off the old screen lining .and having studied various photos I note that the cab grill drops too far down tor wards the top of the screens and the cab roof needs the edges rounding off very slightly.

I made these changes as an experiment on a spare 87 body I have when practicing making glazing with perspect /acetate sheet the result was good but no where near as good as the new etching.

Must have missed this, so apologies for the late reply.

I flattened off the existing frame molding, then opened out the cab windscreen apertures with needle files. Continually offering the frames up to the model, to check for clearance. It's possible to only partly remove the frames from the rest of the etch, which makes them a little more robust while handling them. Once I was happy, I removed the frames from the rest of the etch, positioned the frames and secured them with pledge multi-surface wax, using a paint brush and capillary action. The use of pledge allows you a little time to reposition the frames while it sets.

However, on the two other 87's I have planned, I will probably start opening out the window apertures, before flattening the molded frames. This allows the molding to act as a bit of a guide, when opening out the apertures.

Regards

Matt

• 3 months later...

Also find Model Railway Constructor April & May 1981 for drawings of classes 81 to 84. I have copies of these and can email you PDF scans if you PM me

Hi,

I'm pretty 'new' to these forums! I'm trying to model some early ACs myself!

Any chance you could email your drawings to me please at shawstewart@sky.com

Many thanks Stuart.

Also find Model Railway Constructor April & May 1981 for drawings of classes 81 to 84. I have copies of these and can email you PDF scans if you PM me

Hi jetmorgan I've been reading your thread I'm pretty new to these forums!

I'm trying to model some early ACs myself,any chance you could email your drawings to me?

My email is shawstewart@sky.com

Many thanks Stuart.

Expect an order Michael!

I find it a little sad if I’m honest. What with the collapse of Marconi (GEC) in 2006, it's subsequent breakup and selling off, in all likelihood the drawings of the pantograph have been lost forever. Some small slice of railway history, although admittedly a dead-end, gone. In the scientific community, it's often the failed experiments, the negative results which in many respects are more valuable than the more widely publicised successful experiments, because negative results tell you where not to look.

But, at least some exist in preservation.

Regards

Matt

I came across the same attitude some years ago when I approached the Network Rail Records office, enquiring if they had any architectural plans for the old DMU Depot at Cockshute ( Stoke). The answer that came back was, that they had plans that matched my request but couldn't share them with me as it would infringe on the Commercial confidentiality of the occupant. I replied that the building had been sold out of BR use since the 70's and I'd simply drive down and get some rough measurements and photos..........

Hi jetmorgan I've been reading your thread I'm pretty new to these forums!

I'm trying to model some early ACs myself,any chance you could email your drawings to me?

Many thanks Stuart.

Yep not a problem Stuart I can get that sorted out a bit later. I've had a further delivery of Model Railway Constructors so will have a quick check through them as well in case there is anything in them.

Hi all,

Could anybody email me drawings of class 81-85s please?

Thanks Stuart.

The RS CARTER MODEL RAILWAY CONSTRUCTOR PLANBOOK 3 BR ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVES IN 4MM SCALE, has very good accurate drawings along with good photographs too.

Judith edge kits, does the class 83 bodyside window frames and grilles in etched stainless steel.

• RMweb Gold

The RS CARTER MODEL RAILWAY CONSTRUCTOR PLANBOOK 3 BR ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVES IN 4MM SCALE, has very good accurate drawings along with good photographs too.

Judith edge kits, does the class 83 bodyside window frames and grilles in etched stainless steel.

They are not THAT accurate, trust me on this...

Andi