Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

June 2016 RM, Cover photo.

F-UnitMad

Not looked inside the June '16 RM yet - it's another 'bagged' issue, "but"...

I couldn't help thinking that the cover picture of the new APT-E model is somewhat spoilt by it being on rather tight radius curves, & the front of the lead bogie can be seen - sticking waaaaaaaaay out to the side of the model. :rolleyes:

Couldn't the Peco Studio have at least photographed it on gentler curves..?? :(

Just remember that 99% of modellers actually still use settrack. Suspect it is as much about fitting train in size of picture. As for contents they are on website http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/Railway-Modeller-June-2016.html

A good mixture of articles, as usual, and the GWR coal depot has inspired me to start designing something for 3D printing. A big advantage of brick built buildings being the ability to count bricks to calculate size. As designs probably varied, I am only really trying to capture the feel , not replicate an exact real one.

If you want finescale, suggest looking at June issue of Continental Modeller as it has both P87  and S7  and a superb article about modelling dilapidated buildings from Emmanuel Nouaillier. Yes, it is foreign stuff, but open your eyes and they will stay open. Inspiring, and although RM is still a good issue(reviews of r2r are no interest to me as they seem to suit collectors not real modellers), CM I feel might be better this month. Oh, I don't think it will be bagged so you can have a sneak look inside in shop! It is out on Thursday. 

Just remember that 99% of modellers actually still use settrack.

What is the source/validation for this claimed figure?

I'd have thought that a fair percentage use a mix/combination of setrack, flexitrack and kit/scratch-built.

G.

I think you have answered the question by saying many use a mixture.

My point(pun not intended!) is that only a minute minority of those in the hobby will not use setrack.

When I was running shop, we had both setrack and streamline and I did not have to restock the streamline that often. Most in the hobby want something easy to set up and even flexi track is difficult for some. What did surprise me was how many were happy to use poor quality(in my view) second hand track, but that was probably because it was cheap. It would have been something would have otherwise chucked away. Nothing puts people off more than poorly running trains, and simple to use setrack actually works very well.

I think you have answered the question by saying many use a mixture.

Nope. The question is what is the source/validation for your claim - in other words where did you get that figure from?

G.

The

Archived