TPE new trains

• RMweb Premium

CAF Civity (rear unit of the LHCS Driving coach) - this could of been edited to just have the same nose as the EMU Intercity Civity for TPE:

caf--575x323.jpg

Yellow ends...................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Not necessarily limp - Voyagers tend to run round all the time with one engine switched out these days which means it's likely nobody on the train other than the driver would even notice if an engine had failed on one of them.

The engine that is switched out is rotated, so that it evens out the use across the set.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The extra length may cause platform issues at the likes of Newcastle Central - the bays that aren't very long and the through platforms may not be available for long enough periods.

Could they be extended? Or would it be acceptable to have the loco outside end and outside the platform (assuming it's not fouling any other lines of course)?

Could they be extended? Or would it be acceptable to have the loco outside end and outside the platform (assuming it's not fouling any other lines of course)?

It's not so much the fouling as all the AWS, TPWS grids etc it would be wrong-side of.

Extending would involve pushing them through the station concourse and demolishing part of the footbridge.  The whole lot is listed.  As with most bay platforms there is a signal at the end and if the train can't be got inside that then it will be preventing other signals being cleared. 

I'd guess the trains will have to tip out at a through platform then disappear off to a siding, reappearing shortly before departure. 

• Like 1

Shame you can't do it the Liverpool end or you wouldn't need a driving trailer - but you could run them round the loop at Newcastle and not worry about reversing the train at all...

And you could send them completely around the loop after arrival to get them out of the way for a while.

Don't forget that TOE wants to extend services to Edinburgh therefore not such a problem.

In other developments it's been reported that CAF will build the driving trailers last and that the initial services will be in top and tail mode.

• RMweb Premium

Seems sensible. DVTs (or whatever they'll be called) are the most complex of the coaches to build, and so will take longest, and probably have the greatest number of teething issues. This way TPE will get coaches to start their services with ASAP.

• RMweb Gold

I would be nice to think the new coaches will be compatible with conventional stock but I can't really see that happening. Even mk4s aren't compatible with anything else

I can't think of any reason why Mk4s couldn't be coupled to other stuff - standard ETH and brakes - although it never seems to happen.  Class 68s also have the standard ETH and air brakes - do they have the AAR multiple working socket also?  So probably far more compatible than HSTs are. 

• RMweb Premium

I can't think of any reason why Mk4s couldn't be coupled to other stuff - standard ETH and brakes - although it never seems to happen.  Class 68s also have the standard ETH and air brakes - do they have the AAR multiple working socket also?  So probably far more compatible than HSTs are.

I believe, but can't quote facts that the corridor connections are non standard. IIRC there is some sort of prong sticking out from the bottom rubbing plate on the connector. They needed translator vehicles when they were being delivered.

Jamie

There has never been huge demand for first class on TPE so that is probably about right. They might go for another option with the second vehicle being a composite with the first section having 2+1 seating but to standard class spacing. That could be used for standard upgrade when demand for first is lower.

On the West Coast services there is quite a demand for first class - the 350s like the 185s have a third of a coach in 2+1 format separated from the rest by doors.  The only real benefit is the extra space and perhaps ambience though people pass through all the time and catering is a cup of coffee and a snack - if you want more go Virgin.

• RMweb Gold

I believe, but can't quote facts that the corridor connections are non standard. IIRC there is some sort of prong sticking out from the bottom rubbing plate on the connector. They needed translator vehicles when they were being delivered.Jamie

Thats correct Jamie, they don't have Pullman gangways,its a strange gangway with lugs like you say. Other then the end vehicle with no gangway they don't have stoppable couplers or buffers so theoretically they can be split and shunted they are fixed formations in the same way as an HST is

• RMweb Premium

On the West Coast services there is quite a demand for first class - the 350s like the 185s have a third of a coach in 2+1 format separated from the rest by doors.  The only real benefit is the extra space and perhaps ambience though people pass through all the time and catering is a cup of coffee and a snack - if you want more go Virgin.

It's a bit more pleasant than the rest of the train (on the 185s, not been on a 350). The space, table, and window help, as do the doors since they shut you away a bit from the bus-like atmosphere that the 1/3 2/3 layout produces. The seats are still rather hard and uncomfortable. The catering on them is seriously substandard though. Last time I was on one it was a cup of tea and a "snack pack" consisting mostly of card and plastic, with a biscuit or two buried somewhere in it. Very limited on what drinks you can have without paying (tea, coffee, or orange juice IIRC, had to pay if I wanted a Coke).

When heading north from Manchester I've changed off the Transpennine train several times at Preston even though I could've done the whole journey on one because I'm seriously underwhelmed by them. These might well change all that (except that the LHCS doesn't seem to be on the Manchester - Scotland route alas).

Edited by Reorte

Presumably the Manchester - Scotland trains will be the AT300s, which should also be a decent quality proposition (relative to a 350 on an intercity service, at least). Kind of surprised they haven't gone for a tilting train for that route though.

350s aren't really the answer for those kind of journeys.

These might well change all that (except that the LHCS doesn't seem to be on the Manchester - Scotland route alas).

Given the LHCS will be built by the same folk as are building the EMUs for the WCML service, as part of the same order at more or less the same time and will be more or less the same capacity (a 5x 23m EMU or 5x 23m coaches hauled) I'd be really surprised if the passenger offering was fundamentally different between the two.

It's a bit more pleasant than the rest of the train (on the 185s, not been on a 350). The space, table, and window help, as do the doors since they shut you away a bit from the bus-like atmosphere that the 1/3 2/3 layout produces. The seats are still rather hard and uncomfortable. 

350 - nice to travel in but not 'Inter City' quality better than a 185 which is better than a 156 or 153.

I tend to travel Manchester to Barrow and back weekly - I am glad 185s have been retained on some services rented to Northern though for how long I don't know.  My usual is 350 Lancaster, swap to a 185 to Barrow, return 185 to Lancaster and a Pendolino to Warrington where I meet SWMBO.