TPE new trains

• RMweb Premium

350 - nice to travel in but not 'Inter City' quality better than a 185 which is better than a 156 or 153.

I prefer 156s to 185s. Very un-keen on 1/3 2/3 doors (I'll take a Voyager over a 185, mostly for that reason) and the seats on 156s are more comfortable. Definitely better than a 153 though, considering that it often seems to be a squeeze getting everyone in the 185...

Edited by Reorte

Thats correct Jamie, they don't have Pullman gangways,its a strange gangway with lugs like you say. Other then the end vehicle with no gangway they don't have stoppable couplers or buffers so theoretically they can be split and shunted they are fixed formations in the same way as an HST is

Mk4 coaches have wider gangways between coaches, just like the intermediate gangways on 158s. They are also fitted with tightlock couplings and only the TOE and DVT have standard drop head buckeyes and RCH cables.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that they are the same as 158 ones, altogether an adaptor plate has to be used an intermediate 158 one will couple to an end one to form a 3 car or to a 156 to form a hybrid,i don't recall seeing any locating lugs on 158 gangways

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure that they are the same as 158 ones, altogether an adaptor plate has to be used an intermediate 158 one will couple to an end one to form a 3 car or to a 156 to form a hybrid,i don't recall seeing any locating lugs on 158 gangways

I suspect that cheesysmith is just making the points that the gangways are wider on Mk4's and 158's not that the design is the same.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I can't think of any reason why Mk4s couldn't be coupled to other stuff - standard ETH and brakes - although it never seems to happen.  Class 68s also have the standard ETH and air brakes - do they have the AAR multiple working socket also?  So probably far more compatible than HSTs are. 

The Chiltern 68s 010-015 have AAR fitted, as do the two nominated spares 68008/009. The extra socket below the number to the left of the ETS jumper

They were all delivered without the AAR, it was fitted at Gresty Bridge depot, so not a huge job to wire up a few more with AAR.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

When talking about the Class 350s it is worth keeping in mind that travelling on a 350/1 or 350/3 is a very different experience to a 350/2. I think the 350/1 are the nicest of the sub-groups as although the 350/3s reverted to 2+2 seating I find the grey décor of the first batch brighter and airier feeling than the green of the later batches. I use them a lot and they're good, solid and reliable trains only let down by a poor ride quality IMO.

• RMweb Premium

Further up the thread there were some comments about seats lining up with windows, or not, so this afternoon I took the opportunity to do a passengers survey of the 25 people who happened to be in the middle section of the class 165 Turbo centre car which was the 15:48 from Reading to Bedwyn. A totally unscientific selection, and arguably not typical, especially not of Trans Pennine passengers, but of the 25 there were just 3 people (including me) who were looking out of the windows. Most were on their phones, a couple were reading, a few were taking "forty winks". The load included workers, school children, college students, shoppers and long distance travellers on the final stage home.

Reading to Newbury isn't the Pennines, and a 165 Turbo stopping service isn't a long distance Inter-City one, but as a random sample it was quite interesting to quantify how my fellow passengers were spending their travelling time, and I was reminded of the comments about window seats in this thread.

• RMweb Premium

Further up the thread there were some comments about seats lining up with windows, or not, so this afternoon I took the opportunity to do a passengers survey of the 25 people who happened to be in the middle section of the class 165 Turbo centre car which was the 15:48 from Reading to Bedwyn. A totally unscientific selection, and arguably not typical, especially not of Trans Pennine passengers, but of the 25 there were just 3 people (including me) who were looking out of the windows. Most were on their phones, a couple were reading, a few were taking "forty winks". The load included workers, school children, college students, shoppers and long distance travellers on the final stage home.

Reading to Newbury isn't the Pennines, and a 165 Turbo stopping service isn't a long distance Inter-City one, but as a random sample it was quite interesting to quantify how my fellow passengers were spending their travelling time, and I was reminded of the comments about window seats in this thread.

I must admit, much of the time I spend on trains I'm either working on my lap top or I'll get my kindle out. Some of the seats in class 350s don't line up with windows and I'm really not bothered. However I find I hate the window pillar seats in Pendolinos, I think the difference is that the 350s are quite bright and airy feeling so even the pillar seats don't feel claustrophobic. Commuting time is quite useful time, I did a big chunk of a masters degree whilst commuting.

• RMweb Premium

I like sitting at the window and watching the world go by, it's a great pity that so many people seem to regard that as time that must be killed somehow. I wouldn't count getting on with useful work as that (which needs a table seat, laptops and airline seats are usually an unusable combination) although I'd prefer no pressure to work whilst travelling. Mind you there's not a lot to see other than trees whizzing past at close range a lot of the time these days.

I believe, but can't quote facts that the corridor connections are non standard. IIRC there is some sort of prong sticking out from the bottom rubbing plate on the connector. They needed translator vehicles when they were being delivered.

The biggest issue with the intermediate MK4s is that they have Tightlock couplers (which are also set at a height incompatible with the standard BR Buckeye couplers. The TSOE and DVTs however have standard drophead Buckeyes, rubbing plates and buffers.

• RMweb Gold

I too like to stare out of the window. But even if not, it's the ambiance of having a window which is important. The seats with plastic instead of a window are horrible...

And not just on a train. I was on a Ryanair flight recently where a passenger was very miffed to find that the A seat he had reserved (at a supplement of course) was not next to a window as he expected but an unrelieved panel of plastic.

And not just on a train. I was on a Ryanair flight recently where a passenger was very miffed to find that the A seat he had reserved (at a supplement of course) was not next to a window as he expected but an unrelieved panel of plastic.

I was on a daytime flight recently, happily staring at the clouds, when the steward demanded I close the blind - apparently sunlight made the airline's cheap seat-back screens unwatchable and every other passenger wanted to watch telly. St Exupery is dead.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I was on a daytime flight recently, happily staring at the clouds, when the steward demanded I close the blind - apparently sunlight made the airline's cheap seat-back screens unwatchable and every other passenger wanted to watch telly. St Exupery is dead.

Paul

It has been suggested that airliners could be built without windows and the sky projected onto the interior from CCTV cameras. Same could be done with trains.

• RMweb Premium

It has been suggested that airliners could be built without windows and the sky projected onto the interior from CCTV cameras. Same could be done with trains.

That's just the sort of idea that puts me off "progress."

Paul

I like watching out of the window on a plane, generally if there's land to look at. I was only told to close the blind once, and that was at night, for reasons I couldn't fathom. I wanted to watch the towns and cities passing by...

• RMweb Premium

Paul

I hate that. A bit more understandable when people are trying to sleep, but still annoying.

I once had a bit of an argument with an airline customer service agent because according to SeatGuru the seat I'd been assigned was a window seat with no actual window.

She was sure that none of their planes had such a thing. I persisted, and to humour me (and presumably get me off the line) she moved me a few seats back.

Fast-forward a few months. I board the plane, sit down next to my nice window....and listen to the argument a few rows ahead between a flight attendant and the irate passenger who had just discovered his window wasn't. In the end some off duty pilots swapped seats to preserve the honour of their airline...

Edited in a futile attempt to not look quite so far off topic: Er....sometimes it can be interesting watching tiny trains out of an aeroplane window...

Edited by Coryton

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I love to look out of the windows and watch the world go by.  Having said that, The reason I despise idiotic rolling stock designs that don't line-up the windows and the seats is that IT DENIES ME OF THE CHOICE of whether to look out of the windows, or bury my head in a book, or whatever.  It's all about customer choices.  I can bring a newspaper, book, kindle, smart 'phone, Laptop or DVD player with me.  I can't bring my own window!  That has to be provided for me, whether I chose to use it or not.
Simples.
The point about "general ambiance" is well made and also applicable I feel.
The Pendolino, with airline style seats up against solid walls and luggage racks in front of windows, just smacks of "cock-up" and does not inspire confindence in any other aspectof the train.  It also makes a cramped and claustrophobic vehicle feel just that bit worse, IMHO.
The existing class 185 and class 350 interiors do offer pretty good views.  I do so hope that TPE don't throw the baby out with the bath-water on this one and keep-up their predecessors good work in this area.
I've also been impressed by TPEs feature of placing the wheelchair spaces in the area between the first class and the acessible toilet.  Very pragmagtic and sensible. 

Edited by Phatbob

When will TPE drivers start training on class 68 locomotives ? and will they run ECS Liverpool to York, or similar, to give the train crew, the "feel" of operating loco hauled stock.

Will everything class 68 hauled show up on Realtime Trains, as "ZZ" (freight) ?

I guess when the class 88's arrive and the complete route has been wired from Manchester to Colton Junction, that it will potentially mean, that the 68's may only be used on the route, for maybe 2-3 years ?

It's great to see loco haulage making a comeback. I felt sad when BR got rid of all the "Peaks" and 47's back in the 1980's and replaced them with Sprinter units.

Freight traffic has seen a revival between the Manchester area, across the pennines, to Ravensthorpe / LNW Junction. The 25's 40's and 56's slogging their guts out, are a thing of the past, but the modern day stuff gives out a more professional image, with everything usually smart and well presented, with not much visible in the way of exhaust emissions !

• RMweb Premium

When will TPE drivers start training on class 68 locomotives ? and will they run ECS Liverpool to York, or similar, to give the train crew, the "feel" of operating loco hauled stock.

I guess when the class 88's arrive and the complete route has been wired from Manchester to Colton Junction, that it will potentially mean, that the 68's may only be used on the route, for maybe 2-3 years ?

If they are ECS movements, RTT should show them with a 5Xxx identifier.

As for wiring Manchester-Colton in 2-3 years, I think you've more chance of seeing a porcine aviator.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

TPX is operating the train, DRS is just leasing them a loco, so TPX trains will show up as TPX trains.

You can check Scotrail for examples of how DRS powered LHCS sets show up...for example http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G68256/2016/05/27/advanced    

Edited by Glorious NSE

Will TPE be training Divers for just one set of coaches, I would expect that the Drivers will be provided by DRS with the Loco's till fleet operation commences!

Mark Saunders

If they are ECS movements, RTT should show them with a 5Xxx identifier.

As for wiring Manchester-Colton in 2-3 years, I think you've more chance of seeing a porcine aviator.

Cheers,

Mick

Oh, that's a pity. I was hoping the wires would be erected through "my" patch in Mirfield, around the end of 2016 or early 2017. Do you think it could be around 2020 when the wires go up ? I'm really hoping an 86 hauled railtour, or two, will soon be bowling along the route  :yes:

• Like 1