Facelifting the Hornby 2721 Class Pannier

Very nice indeed, and very good timing as well as you have inspired me to have a go. Although I am thinking of substituting a high level 57xx chassis when I reporter it. Having just found a photo of 2785 at Newton Abbot in 1947 in what I believe to be GWR black (given it was rebuilt in the early 40s after after bomb damage), makes it even more tempting.

Now to keep an eye on eBay for one of the inevitable ridiculously cheap bodies...

Look forward to seeing your photos. A better chassis/motor combination would clearly benefit this model but I have to say that this one runs remarkably well given its origins.

Tony

Congratulations for a lovely upgrade.

Given the availability of cheap bodies, why not have a go at kitbashing one into another class, such as one of the double framed ones?

post-17793-0-20419300-1465425884_thumb.jpg

Details of this conversion are here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107593-gwr-1076-class-double-framed-pannier-tank/

Regards,

Rob

• Like 6

Not wishing to knock this off topic but the old Mainline 56xx 0-6-2 is also ideal for back dating & conversion to some of the Welsh railway companies engines so I'm getting a collection of those as well

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice indeed, and very good timing as well as you have inspired me to have a go. Although I am thinking of substituting a high level 57xx chassis when I reporter it. Having just found a photo of 2785 at Newton Abbot in 1947 in what I believe to be GWR black (given it was rebuilt in the early 40s after after bomb damage), makes it even more tempting.

Now to keep an eye on eBay for one of the inevitable ridiculously cheap bodies...

Bear in mind that the Hornby body has been "adjusted" to fit their standard chassis so won't match the wheelbase of an accurate chassis. 

See Posts #9 and #18.

John

Congratulations for a lovely upgrade.

Given the availability of cheap bodies, why not have a go at kitbashing one into another class, such as one of the double framed ones?

attachicon.gif050, 1016 class, 28 Jan 2016.JPG

Details of this conversion are here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107593-gwr-1076-class-double-framed-pannier-tank/

Regards,

Rob

Thanks Rob

That [and the early saddle-tank types] caught my eye too. I may give it a whirl, but it's at the end of an inevitably long list of planned projects. Currently, a pair of Keyser Dean 40' PBVs are on the bench, to be followed by some freight stock and then an unfinished Star ! There's other stuff to follow, including a GEM/ Mainline 56XX marriage, the body combining the two and the chassis from mainline with new wheels. Frankenstein lives !

Not wishing to knock this off topic but the old Mainline 56xx 0-6-2 is also ideal for back dating & conversion to some of the Welsh railway companies engines so I'm getting a collection of those as well

Not off topic at all. I've thought about that, too - see above. I recently saw a really nice Taff Vale 0-6-2 created from an old Wrenn N2 of all things. Surprisingly,  it actually looked rather good.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Might Rich be better off building the Finney/Brassmasters kit?

Quite possibly, but if the idea is to exploit the Hornby bodyshell, putting a chassis with the correct axle spacing underneath only draws attention to its discrepancies.

It has occurred to me that it might be possible to cut out various parts of the Hornby body (notably the cab/bunker area) and splice them into a Bachmann pannier.

Correct wheelbase and a better mechanism without further ado, though it would necessitate a full repaint.

However, both of our suggestions would attract challenges for deviation if we were playing "Just A Minute".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Quite possibly, but if the idea is to exploit the Hornby bodyshell, putting a chassis with the correct axle spacing underneath only draws attention to its discrepancies.

It has occurred to me that it might be possible to cut out various parts of the Hornby body (notably the cab/bunker area) and splice them into a Bachmann pannier.

Correct wheelbase and a better mechanism without further ado, though it would necessitate a full repaint.

However, both of our suggestions would attract challenges for deviation if we were playing "Just A Minute".

John

Both ideas I have been considering, I do enjoy chopping up plastic. The Finney kit would be great, and may one day happen. But for a loco with that many curved corners and odd shapes I want a lot more practice working in brass first!

Not a brilliant photo, but a quick comparison with the Bachmann 57xx. There's very little in it, apart from the better quality of the Bachmann, but at a higher price. The Bachmann bunker is closer to the length of the earlier unextended 2721 bunker, which would save me having to shorten the Hornby one. Take the back of the cab roof off, and some of the modern plumbing, and you're almost there. All the big panniers seemed to have been pretty much the same, and there's more variation in appearance between individual locos of the same class at different times in their history than there is between different classes.

post-7091-0-10760500-1465488904.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What the comparison does not show is that the Hornby will still be running in 2050 whereas the Bachmann will be lucky to see 2020.  I use Bachman coupling rods etc on re drilled Hornby chassis with romford wheels in a search for reliability.

I doubt if I will still be running in 2050 to see it though! Anyway, it's likely to be getting a Perseverance chassis when it's converted to EM, with one of the currently available cheap Chinese motors, although the one currently under it may well still be chugging away under a narrow gauge body!

I've not looked much at either before, but doesn't it jump right out how much better the Bachmann looks under the tanks compared to Hornby's wall, so some combination of the two, using as much of the Bachmann as possible would seem a good idea.

Edited by johnarcher

I think the angles in the photo make a difference, as you're looking up at the Hornby and down at the Bachmann, but the Bachmann does look a lot better. It has daylight under the front of the boiler, and everything on it is much finer, although I think the black paint helps as well. If I could buy Bachmann bodies at a similar price to Hornby ones I might have a go at one.

My planned conversion to an 1813 class will probably have rear wheel drive, so I should be able to cut out the area under the tanks and put in the bottom of the boiler.

• RMweb Gold

Not a brilliant photo, but a quick comparison with the Bachmann 57xx. There's very little in it, apart from the better quality of the Bachmann, but at a higher price. 

Bare in mind also that that is actually the old Mainline body on the Bachmann in your pic. The retooled Bachmann version is even higher detail and easily identifiable by lack of the areola on the top of the dome.

Not a brilliant photo, but a quick comparison with the Bachmann 57xx. There's very little in it, apart from the better quality of the Bachmann, but at a higher price. The Bachmann bunker is closer to the length of the earlier unextended 2721 bunker, which would save me having to shorten the Hornby one. Take the back of the cab roof off, and some of the modern plumbing, and you're almost there. All the big panniers seemed to have been pretty much the same, and there's more variation in appearance between individual locos of the same class at different times in their history than there is between different classes.

attachicon.gifDSCF7986.JPG

What is clear is how much oversize the Hornby one is - it should be shorter than the 57xx. 

The overall dimensions of the body aren't too far out from what I can see. The only major surgery required is to reduce the height and length of the bunker for my 1904 version, which also means shortening the back of the footplate. I think the chassis contributes to it looking too big.

• 1 year later...

Something's happened to the original poster's pictures.

That 'something' was called Photobucket!  The link to the blog still works though and all of the original photos ar in there - just scroll to the end.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus