RMweb

Golden Arrow Last Steam Run Train Pack R3400

miles73128

I'd love to be able to get one or more of the Pullman guard vehicles, but don't really need another WC/BoB loco, much as the Golden Arrow insignia appeal (I also have some etched brass fittings to add to any of my locos anyway). If Rails (or anyone else) split the sets, I'll be in like a shot.

Always a heavy demand for Rebuilt WC/BoBs on eBay.

With Rails now offering the sets at £245 you can't lose by spitting the set yourself and listing the loco if you don't need it.

• RMweb Premium

That is good to know.  I had one of the original condition WC locos split from a previous Golden Arrow set and the arrows were already fixed on the sides but I didn't want them.  So if any ex set one come up at a reasonable cost I may succumb... 

I'd love to be able to get one or more of the Pullman guard vehicles, but don't really need another WC/BoB loco, much as the Golden Arrow insignia appeal (I also have some etched brass fittings to add to any of my locos anyway). If Rails (or anyone else) split the sets, I'll be in like a shot.

Hi,

We are splitting a very limited number of packs. The splits can be found here:

Appledore West Country Locomotive £129.50:

https://railsofsheffield.com/Appledore-fromR3400-JJJA33155.aspx

Set of 3 U Type Pullman Car Coaches: £149.50:

https://railsofsheffield.com/Pullmans-fromR3400-JJJA33156.aspx

Thanks

Oliver

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks

Oliver

Thanks for the heads-up, Oliver. Order duly placed. :)

Hi,

Thanks

Oliver

Would have thought the loco, with separate Golden Arrow parts, would have sold for more but the Pullmans, with fitted arrows, would have less general appeal and will struggle at this price. Just a gut feeling in view of past Hornby Golden Arrow sets.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Should be back up to full speed again now!  :O

sure is..

34100 Appledore is in the box, as is a bargain K1 and a couple of Heljan tanks.

Would have thought the loco, with separate Golden Arrow parts, would have sold for more but the Pullmans, with fitted arrows, would have less general appeal and will struggle at this price. Just a gut feeling in view of past Hornby Golden Arrow sets.

from Rail's website:

Split from the R3400 Train Pack, the loco is therefore unboxed. Please note Golden Arrows, flags and logo is included but supplied separate from the locomotive

However the website appears to have sold out anyway, as the status is now "on order". (I only bought 1, I promise :-)

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

I take on board what you say but both Pullmans and loco are highly desirable and the package taken as a whole is seductive ( Please excuse the lurid imagery ) .I am minded to take a punt.It does commemorate an historic occasion after all.....and the Rails "promotion " seems reasonable to me. Over to you,Oliver & Co.....tempt me...cue strains of Lionel Bart musical ....sorry !

sure is..

34100 Appledore is in the box, as is a bargain K1 and a couple of Heljan tanks.

from Rail's website:

Split from the R3400 Train Pack, the loco is therefore unboxed. Please note Golden Arrows, flags and logo is included but supplied separate from the locomotive

However the website appears to have sold out anyway, as the status is now "on order". (I only bought 1 I promise :-)

The separate GA regalia pack is worth £15 alone, given it includes flags which often previous Hornby Golden Arrow sets did not..

But the Pullmans don't tempt me at that price. I'll buy and split a set myself for the Pullmans, I think.

I take on board what you say but both Pullmans and loco are highly desirable and the package taken as a whole is seductive ( Please excuse the lurid imagery ) .I am minded to take a punt.It does commemorate an historic occasion after all.....and the Rails "promotion " seems reasonable to me. Over to you,Oliver & Co.....tempt me...cue strains of Lionel Bart musical ....sorry !

Hi, So your saying my lovely made promotional video didn't tempt you enough!  :blum:  . It is a great looking set and good value considering what you get in it!

On another note, I will see on Monday if we are to split anymore and let people know on here should people be wanting more splits.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, So your saying my lovely made promotional video didn't tempt you enough!  :blum:  . It is a great looking set and good value considering what you get in it!

On another note, I will see on Monday if we are to split anymore and let people know on here should people be wanting more splits.

No worries......just playing hard to get :yes:

Car No 34 is shown on page 125 of Kevin Robertson's "In the Tracks of the Bournemouth Belle" on that trains last day 1967. The coach has pre 1960 Pullman crests and pre 1960 lining.

Anyone know whats going on? Is Kevins photo date wrong? Have Hornby assumed Car 34 received post 1960 livery to match the U types and got it wrong ? Some Pullmans were running well into the 1960's with pre 1960 crests especially on the Western "standby Pullman" sets. This can be seen in some pictures in Antony Ford's book.

Edited by CLIVE MARK

Car No 34 is shown on page 125 of Kevin Robertson's "In the Tracks of the Bournemouth Belle" on that trains last day 1967. The coach has pre 1960 Pullman crests and pre 1960 lining.

Anyone know whats going on? Is Kevins photo date wrong? Have Hornby assumed Car 34 received post 1960 livery to match the U types and got it wrong ? Some Pullmans were running well into the 1960's with pre 1960 crests especially on the Western "standby Pullman" sets. This can be seen in some pictures in Antony Ford's book.

The Hornby Car No.34 in the R3400 train pack is incorrect for the simple reason that it did not have a handbrake.

But to answer the question ..... The photo in the Kevin Robertson book is correct and Hornby have got the livery wrong as well! A photo of Car No.34 by G.Moon may be found by scrolling down this pdf document:

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/coupe/coupe_se03.pdf

Was Car No.208 in the GA formation on the last steam run? As this car was converted from first parlour Leona, Hornby could have used the same bodyshell as Minerva to represent 208. The interior seating arrangement would have been incorrect but far less obvious than incorrect doors and liveries.

Edited by MartinTrucks

• RMweb Gold

Suitably impressed by this set which arrived beautifully packaged via ParcelForce at lunchtime. Well,done Hornby.Well done Oliver & co at Rails.

The Hornby Car No.34 in the R3400 train pack is incorrect for the simple reason that it did not have a handbrake.

But to answer the question ..... The photo in the Kevin Robertson book is correct and Hornby have got the livery wrong as well! A photo of Car No.34 by G.Moon may be found by scrolling down this pdf document:

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/coupe/coupe_se03.pdf

Was Car No.208 in the GA formation on the last steam run? As this car was converted from first parlour Leona, Hornby could have used the same bodyshell as Minerva to represent 208. The interior seating arrangement would have been incorrect but far less obvious than incorrect doors and liveries.

Thanks for that Martin. Oh dear ! What do we do now ? Fox transfers ?

Without the U-type cars, any reasonable representation of the post-1951 'Golden Arrow' is all but impossible. I know the set includes Car No. 208 and Minerva but have these been done as Guard Parlours or are they simply standard cars with doors having oval windows?  (CJL)

Without the U-type cars, any reasonable representation of the post-1951 'Golden Arrow' is all but impossible. I know the set includes Car No. 208 and Minerva but have these been done as Guard Parlours or are they simply standard cars with doors having oval windows?  (CJL)

Post #37 contains close-up photos of the Pullman cars in the R3400 set. They are Minerva, Car No.34 and Car No.36.

IMHO, Hornby have done very well in producing Minerva and Car No.36 with the correct style of "square" toilet windows, rectangular-windowed vestibule doors at the guard's ends and (AFIAK) the correct livery for the day.

Car No.34 is, what Americans would call a "foobie", with guard's doors which it never had and the later livery which (I learned today), it never carried.

I look forward to the prospect of Hornby producing good-to-excellent models of the U-class cars before I die or go senile!

Will I buy this train pack? No - I consider it to be 10% too expensive, even at the discounted prices and I am not tempted by the split price for what is effectively two decent Pullman cars. In addition, as you say, without U-class cars it only represents the top and tail of the GA train.