Golden Arrow Last Steam Run Train Pack R3400

miles73128

attachicon.gif003.JPGThe 'Golden Arrow' arrived at Swanage a couple of days ago. 34092 'City of Wells' was one of the West Country Class engines which had clips to fit the Golden Arrow. I made a note of a picture of34092 'City of Wells' passing through Chelsfield station in cycling lion days with a maroon lined GUV and a rake of Pullman cars. I used to live nearby and I could hear its whistle from my house. One day a boy fell from the top of a cutting at Chelsfield. The 'Golden Arrow' stopped in time and the fireman was taken to hospital suffering from shock.Hornby made a model of R4542 34092 'City of Wells' from 2006 to 2007 so this would provide alternative motive power to 'Appledore' for the 'Golden Arrow' train pack.

I am amazed Hornby have never done City of Wells with the Golden Arrows either as per 1954 or in the 70s preservation days.

Nice photo, has she had the Bullied chimney replaced with a narrow Geisl type one in this photo or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

I have a Wrenn City of Wells, the only original West Country I retain from that company.

Edited by JSpencer

I love it! (hides)

My Mum used to say, "It wouldn't do for us all to like the same things." She was a wise lady. And, yes, that's the Geisl ejector, fitted when it was last out on the main line. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

I love it! (hides)

Just because I don't like the colour scheme doesn't mean I can't admire your workmanship! :)

Very nice repaints, there, Miles.

Something rarely seen modelled ... I can't understand why. ;)

For all of you who are looking to add a little authenticity to your model of 34100 'Appledore' in its 1966/67 guise it should be noted that loco crew in the last days of steam could be very young !

Salisbury MPD 1966/67 yours truly takes the footplate in the attached pic !

Cheers

Clive

post-12045-0-02976800-1490540913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearlymen
  • Like 12

Thursday 30 March. It looks like the owners of 'City of Wells' have removed the Golden Arrow emblem at Swanage Station before someone else does. This has revealed the brackets that supported the Golden Arrow. I think all the 'Golden Arrow' locomotives had these brackets.

'City of Wells' was the subject of Eric Bottomley's painting 'Golden Days at Beckenham Junction'. This shows 'City of Wells' heading towards Victoria in cycling lion days with a green bogie luggage van, two crimson and cream MK1 coaches and a rake of Pullmans. These would have been U type Pullman cars so the entire formation would have been different to the R3400 train pack.

post-17621-0-71664200-1490945221_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A number of locos had these brackets - for example 34091 Weymouth here https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Original-Bulleid-locomotives/i-wjGhqCF/A

They were lower down on the Battle of Britain locos (below the nameplate) - https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Original-Bulleid-locomotives/i-SKpbTL8/A

Edited by RFS

For all of you who are looking to add a little authenticity to your model of 34100 'Appledore' in its 1966/67 guise it should be noted that loco crew in the last days of steam could be very young !

Salisbury MPD 1966/67 yours truly takes the footplate in the attached pic !

Cheers

Clive

But who is the little kid next to you?

• Like 1

But who is the little kid next to you?

That made I laugh ! Yesterday I was going to take my bear ('Panda' imaginative name I know !) down to Swanage for a fifty years later pic but in the end thought I'd look a twonker, although my Dad now 79 who took the original pic was more than keen to do it again ! Great day out down Swanage though !

Cheerio

Clive

• Like 2

A number of locos had these brackets - for example 34091 Weymouth here https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Original-Bulleid-locomotives/i-wjGhqCF/A

They were lower down on the Battle of Britain locos (below the nameplate) - https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Original-Bulleid-locomotives/i-SKpbTL8/A

Indeed a few Battle of Britain locos had two sets of brackets: one set used prior to naming and a second set to site the arrow clear of the new nameplate.

Unfortunately some Golden Arrow locos lost their indentifying brackets over the years by replacement of the side plating through boiler cladding fires or accidental damage.

One of these was 21C1 Channel Packet itself, which lost its brackets soon after its inaugural post-war Golden Arrow runs when its short trial deflectors were replaced by the later standard larger deflectors.

Only one Golden Arrow loco ran regularly without the arrows as far as I know and that was 21C119 Bideford which took over the service immediately after the Channel Packet inugural runs. It was never fitted with brackets for arrows. Of course, in service failures occasionally meant other locos were used to haul the train without regalia on occasions but these were one-offs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif035.JPGHornby class 71 locomotive hauling the 'Golden Arrow' coaches from the R3400 train pack at the barn in Godlingston Manor, Swanage.

So what's the back story on that red Warship getting to Swanage? Signaling error at Waterloo saw the Exeter and Swanage locos transposed and the drivers conspired not to correct it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So what's the back story on that red Warship getting to Swanage? Signaling error at Waterloo saw the Exeter and Swanage locos transposed and the drivers conspired not to correct it?

That would be the easy bit; the 71 would have needed to take a hell of a run-up to get that far off the end of the juice rail. :jester:

• Like 2

post-17621-0-76088200-1492266415_thumb.jpg

Yesterday my Hornby 34100 'Appledore' hauled 15 Pullman coaches, ten with working table lamps, at the Purbeck Model Railway Group trials in the barn at Swanage. Some of the Pullman cars derailed due to the weight and rolling resistance of the train.

I removed the matchboard sided Pullman cars as the old Hornby coaches were more free running. 'Appledore' was very happy with the remaining 10 steel sided cars. I ran the train for 90 minutes on an imaginary journey of 78 miles from Victoria to Dover with the train reaching a maximum speed of 86mph.

I enjoyed the sound of the Pullman cars passing over the track joints and watching the illuminated table lamps as the train passed through the dark section beneath the elevated 0 gauge layout. 'Appledore' ran silently and the moving coupling rods and valve gear reminded me of a sewing machine.

It was very therapeutic spending 90 minutes watching the trains go round.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

i take it from that photo, that then new Pullmans are indeed a different shade to the previous releases or is it the light?

To my eyes, and I own both the GA Pullmans and many of the older ones, they look the same colours, here is pick of my GA next to a much older pullman:post-15098-0-21408600-1498510993.jpg

• Like 1