RMweb

Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

From post no.1:

Paul

Thanks. You know I read that whole 1st post, and completely missed that bit. Edited by Geep7

• RMweb Premium

I came over all nostalgic as a result of this thread and dug out the avi transfers of some cine film I took in the late 80s, which had some stuff with 33s and TCs around Poole and Bournemouth. One day I will have to get it all edited and posted up on YouTube (unfortunately it's silent :( but it still brought back happy feelings :) )

Fantastic announcement - Whilst expensive for what is a special commission with no motor though when compared to say the mk1 Pullmans at near £70 each per coach this looks remarkably good value.

Nevertheless ordered 2 already and will save for a few of the others end of the year ... and some more 33's / 73's ...

How drastically different does a VEP look from a REP?  Just wondering if I could get away with the Hornby VEP to run with one (or two) ...

There were regular peak hour workings from Waterloo that were 8VEP/CIG/BIG+ 33/1+4TC or VEP+TC+33/1. The 33/1+TC would split at Basingstoke, the electric bit went to Bournemouth, the diesel bit went to Salisbury.  There was also a summer Saturday job with 8CEP(etc)+4TC to Bournemouth.

Remember too 33/1+TC was sometimes seen at New Street.

Edited by roythebus

This has actually turned to be cheaper than I anticipated for a model with working lights. Its in effect an exclusive non motorized 4-CEP and those are just above £300.

Dilemma time : which colour?

I have one 33/1 and this is the NSE Ashford and as far as I can tell, she never pulled a TC-4 in that livery. I,ve only one modern build (i;e Dapol) class 73 in the era concerned, the Pullman colour Brighton Evening Argus. Again as far as I can tell she never pulled one in that livery.

Of course I can run what I like, but will know it is just wrong.

I've found a picture of a class 74 on these: http://flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cgi?id=9726455072&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflickrhivemind.net%2FTags%2F4tc%252Cbritishrail%2FInteresting%3Fsearch_type%3DTags%3Btextinput%3D4tc%252Cbritishrail%3Bphoto_type%3D250%3Bmethod%3DGET%3Bnoform%3Dt%3Bsort%3DInterestingness%23pic9726455072&user=&flickrurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77243361@N07/9726455072

But none of a class 71.

And I found even a class 50: http://flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cgi?id=7273395888&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflickrhivemind.net%2FTags%2F4tc%252Cbritishrail%2FInteresting%3Fsearch_type%3DTags%3Btextinput%3D4tc%252Cbritishrail%3Bphoto_type%3D250%3Bmethod%3DGET%3Bnoform%3Dt%3Bsort%3DInterestingness%23pic7273395888&user=&flickrurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/38042186@N03/7273395888

Not to mention 33/0s.

So I guess a blue/grey pre NSE is for me!

Next question: given these sets were pulled by something else, is there any advantage adding sound to these? Very good that we can control the lights by DCC by the way via a chip. But any unique sound for this class?

Clicketty-Clack?

Stewart

• Like 1

I'm surprised at the very little comment on their afterlife with LU. I bought 4x Hatchette coaches which are on the "to-do" shelf, to run with the Heljan Bo-Bo. I have no complaint about the Kernow price ​as they are a commission rather than a mainstream item, but already having the Hatchettes, I'll stick with those to rework. If Kernow did the LU it would be a different matter though.

​Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Perspective......£300 buys you a meal for two In Some of the restraunts round ere or 10 mins with a high class call girl.

There's a girl from Redruth way who would spend the week with you, even as a railway modeller and you got change out of £50 note.

Have you still got her number?

Clicketty-Clack?

Stewart

When sitting inside them they were deafeningly loud, full of mysterious thumps, whines and clattering. And that was just when they were standing at a platform.

The noise was so great that the air-conditioned silence inside a 5WES, when the REPs and TCs were finally replaced, seemed almost magical.

Paul

Really,less than 10 posts in and a number of complaints about price.

Why can't people talk about the prototype or the model rather than the constant need to harp on about the price, it's like this on every new model released.

Nik

The way of the world I'm afraid. I think the price is a perfectly reasonable one but then I won't be buying, it's well outside my area/period. It's interesting that Kernow have gone for a prototype that has such a limited life and area of use.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Here we go again ................. !!!!

ANDY - please can we have a "Moans about Bachmann Prices" thread, to which ALL such postings MUST be uploaded on pain of banning? Then those not so afflicted can simply ignore it.

There are some very nice cars in the Jaguar range which I would certainly buy if I could afford it - but I can't. Do I deluge every car-related discussion group about Jaguar's prices - do I **** !!

Face it - there will be items in any range of products which we would like but cannot afford; including model railways.

That's life - deal with it.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I live in Leicestershire. Will I be seeing more cars from the Jaguar range around here in the near future?

I really don't know what to think.... I'm sure it will be a super model and it's cheaper than anything 'Electrifying Trains' could offer in this scale (granted not a good comparison). I shall have to think about it... perhaps it's time for a swear box?

I could have put a few quid in whilst reading the last 4 pages ;)

Griff

You can also have a 47 on the front. 47421 was on a cross country train from Poole to Reading where it terminated and ran round to go back to the Southern. Also got a pic of 3 TC's and 33112 on a Waterloo to Hereford via Salisbury and Westbury outwards and returned via Worcester and Oxford.

post-6766-0-96687300-1466177217.jpg

post-6766-0-55573600-1466177219.jpg

post-6766-0-86732000-1466177237.jpg

Nice as this is I will stick with my 7mm one now it's nearly finished.

post-6766-0-61999700-1466177626.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I remember going through the Severn Tunnel in a 4TC on a Rail Ale Ramble many years ago.

I'm a pensioner and can't afford these. However, I am ordering two of them, as whether I can afford them or not, I just have to have them.

• Like 2

Although not my area, an innovative and welcome development from Kernow and Bachmann. However, £300 for only 10 minutes with a high class call girl ? Prices have indeed become ridiculous !

When I was reading the other thread leading up to the announcement and lots of people guessing at a 4-TC I thought to myself that at least I didn't have to worry about trying to afford something else... Then the announcement came and I was more relieved that it was indeed a 4-TC.... Then I made the mistake of scrolling further down the page to discover the RTC Red/Blue one! Something I didn't need but I'm a sucker for anything RTC so I've ended up ordering one anyway! :D

• Like 2

However, £300 for only 10 minutes with a high class call girl ? Prices have indeed become ridiculous !

Everyone's on productivity bonuses these days you know.

However, £300 for only 10 minutes with a high class call girl ? Prices have indeed become ridiculous !

Depends on the 10 minutes...

• RMweb Premium

I was in the wrong job back in the mid 00s. I got that per day, which I thought was good pay. Mind you for me, compared to now, £300 a week would be good.

• RMweb Premium

Despite having actually travelled on it, can someone remind me of the units and loco used for Push-Pull Farewell tour of 1988? Unfortunately I didn't have anything but my memory to call on for recording that day.

Edit: scratch that, found it after a search - 33103 and 8020 + 8026, and I believe the two 4TCs were not NSE branded. Now there would be a box set worth doing, but not cheap I think!

Edited by Ian J.