Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

An interesting announcement from Kernow and one that is very tempting. I use to spend every holiday in Poole and can remember the electrification through to Weymouth taking place although I was only around 7 or 8 at the time. The NSE unit would appeal with a 33. The CIG would also be nice in the future. Hopefully this does well for Kernow and more developments will follow in years to come.

All the best

Mark

Well it's not that much more than the MJT sides and cast ends and detailing bits and Southern Pride underframe equipment and Markits wheels and Replica Mk1 bodies and bogies and Phoenix paint that I bought.... 

.. about 6 months ago........ to do one of these......

(b***er)

B***er indeed - I've just finished rebuilding a 'Railstyle' 4-TC in NSE livery. It's taken about 6 months sourcing all the bits needed and information on the underframe and inner end details using some pics of the ex LU unit on the Swanage Railway.

I suspect the cost of the basic unit plus the cost of all the bits and bobs plus the time scratch building all the odds and ends needed now well exceeds the cost of the ready finished 4-TC from Kernow. I was going to build a second 4-TC but decided to save money and order a Kernow Blue/Grey one...........

What puzzles me is why these even existed...why not just make as a.n.other 4 car EMU.. and attach a 33/1 for the dead sections as required..wouldnt have needed high juice 4Reps that way ?

Blue or Blue and Grey.. that is the question..

I'm sure others can give a definitive answer but I believe that the hauling of genuine trailer units on a scheduled basis was more efficient then dragging EMUs off the juice. Whatever the reason, the REP+TC lash up is one of the high points of SR cheap and cheerful analogue engineering.  

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1

Locos Illustrated 184 has a "Summer 1966" photo of D6521 couple in the middle of 2 4-TCs sets leaving Bournemouth for Waterloo - only the rear set is identifiable, 419. Set 416, that being produced in all blue, is shown behind Green SYP 33/0 D6518 near Moreton in May 1967 on a Weymouth with the headcode 15.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know this for sure at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if Parkstone Bank played a part in not making powered units, as a 33 pushing two units with power equipment and fully loaded might have been considered too much for them?

This is from May 1983 (last carriage workings to include 4 Subs by the way) - note the 1700 departure. The 1810 to Yeovil Junction and Bournemouth was the same.

35738711456_a33d794ab1_b.jpgWAT-16-5-83 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Also in the same book, and for a few years previously too, there was an hourly Sunday working 33/1+4TC Reading-Basingstoke-Eastleigh-Portsmouth Harbour.

Edited by robertcwp

There were a number of similar services in the Up direction too. I posted details from the 1974/54 WTT and Carriage Working Notice in post #32.

Yes, and strangely years which had such formations Up did not necessarily have similar ones Down and vice versa.

What puzzles me is why these even existed...why not just make as a.n.other 4 car EMU.. and attach a 33/1 for the dead sections as required..wouldnt have needed high juice 4Reps that way ?

Dragging "dead" electric motors around on a regular basis is bad for them.

Stu

Really hope my post regarding the price this morning has not been deleted by admin. It's disapeared and I havent deleted it! Even had a post rating on it so it definitely was there!

Nice choice of unit but the price is crazy for an unpowered model.

• RMweb Premium

A lot of comments about price but as a comparison Bachmann's previous push-pull carriage cost a similar amount.

The Hawksworth Autotrailer was IIRC £68.95 rrp.

Multiply that by 4 and............

Keith

• Like 1

First and last time I'll post with regards to the pricing debate

One trip on the merry-go-round is fine, but you wouldn't stay on it all day when there's other things at the fair. The topic of prices has been stated and restated so many times. Time to get off the merry-go-round.

It is nice to see more SR 'units' (I say 'units' as they're unpowered...). They do on the face of it seem expensive, until you consider the fact it is a commission/limited edition and the new tooling. Hopefully it'll lead to other SR/BR(S) EMUs in the future!

A lot of comments about price but as a comparison Bachmann's previous push-pull carriage cost a similar amount.

Keith

Works at around £72.00 per coach, very good choice, pity its a bit late for me.

Edited by darren01

Before saying it is expensive take a £3 10s coach in about 1968, its value now against income would now be £125, and a range from £51.10 to £145.40, which covers a basic inflation figure of £51.10 to a cost of living version at £145.40.

The £3 10s coach would in no way compare to the production standards these days, and yet the Bachmann is called expensive........

Model Railways were always an expensive luxury for most people, and still are for most buyers these days, yes, we can ask for value for money, but I think we overlook inflation and just blaming the makers for the prices is not being in touch with reality.

The unit looks good, and covers a gap in the market nicely for lots of users.

Stephen.

• Like 4

Another example I had today, a Gem lever frame kit, original price 12s 6p in 1967/8 , bought from eBAY,

If retailed today, at income inflation it would cost £24......

I know the modern generation do not look back that far, but inflation still applies, we have low inflation at present, but it is higher in China, which will inevitably mean higher prices as time goes on.

Stephen

Works at around £72.00 per coach, very good choice, pity its a bit late for me.

Bachmann's recent Collectors' Club two pack of BR Mk1 coaches retails for £134.95 ( >£67 each ) for members only. Sounds like this new Kernow commission is priced very competitively to me.

The standard production SECR Birdcage coaches will retail for £59.95.

For comparison, here are some non-Bachmann North American coach comparisons with new tooling. THESE PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE VAT.

RapidoTrains ... Budd Dome Car ........ US$109.00 ... £76.15

BLI ............ Pennsylvania P70 ...... US$89.99 ... £62.87

Walthers ....... Santa Fe El Capitan ... US$79.98 ... £55.87

Including VAT, these prices are right in line with Bachmann's UK coach pricing.

OK, Hornby Pullman coaches are cheaper (with lights), at around £50*. If you like Hornby's pricing, buy from Hornby. Hopefully they'll still be around next year.

* I can't tell the exact published RRP, when I look at the website, VAT is removed.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

The price may seem high, but I'm just glad this unit has had a release, and what appears to be a good execution of the appearance of the prototype as well. Having one good model rather than three barely adequate suits me.

The worries on prices can at least in part be attributed to the failure of the economy in the last eight / nine years. We're used to a gradually improving income situation where each generation has a slightly better quality of life than the one before. If that arrangement had remained in place then our incomes would still have been able to have space for the models at these prices. However, with the economic failure of recent years this has been severely undermined, meaning that for many what was once affordable has now become difficult or impossible to afford. I think that's maybe why this issue of price has remained stubbornly present here.