Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

My 4TC arrived today, stunning model. Will look even better with some passengers in it.

As it will be semi-permanently coupled, initially to a 33, later to a 74, I'm wondering if I could use one of those fixed bar couplings in the NEM pockets?

It's too long to fit on my current 'temporary' layout; could I omit one coach and run it as a 3TC?

I'm hoping the model will be a great success and encourage someone to produce a TransPennine dmu.

I believe you can leave out the TFK and run it as a 3-TC. Totally prototypical as well.

I've noticed at one end of my set the Kadee is drooping a bit, so i'll have to have a look at that. A bar coupler sounds like a good solution if you are permanently having a Class 33 used with the TC set. Although I have consisted my TC and 33 together, i'll also use my 33 on other trains, so it'll have to be Kadee's for me.

• RMweb Premium

I believe you can leave out the TFK and run it as a 3-TC. Totally prototypical as well.

Yes you can.  Some 4TC units ran this way in all-blue for a time after delivery awaiting their TFK vehicles.  For a "genuine" 3TC the unit and coaches would need renumbering - not an arduous task - and the model will work perfectly well in this configuration.  301 - 303 ran in blue and blue-grey.

The interior lights are probably a bit too bright on the TC so if anyone is looking for the right CV to dim them ( without affecting the theatre route light indicator lights) it is 118 on a Lenz decoder. I have adjusted mine down to value 100 which is about right in a darkened room.

I don't know the intricate details, but there was a weekday working from Woking to Waterloo

which involved a class 33 + 4TC from Salisbury, which would couple up to a 4 VEP.

The whole ensemble then continuing on to London, using combined diesel / electric power.

I don't know the intricate details, but there was a weekday working from Woking to Waterloo

which involved a class 33 + 4TC from Salisbury, which would couple up to a 4 VEP.

The whole ensemble then continuing on to London, using combined diesel / electric power.

The balance was a 1700 Waterloo-Soton / Salisbury. The train split at Basingstoke and the 4VEP  departed to Southampton, then the rest turned right at Worting Jn

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold

The interior lights are probably a bit too bright on the TC so if anyone is looking for the right CV to dim them ( without affecting the theatre route light indicator lights) it is 118 on a Lenz decoder. I have adjusted mine down to value 100 which is about right in a darkened room.

My only real gripe about the 4TCs interior lighting is the extent to which it puts my 4CEPs in the shade - literally!

The balance was a 1700 Waterloo-Soton / Salisbury. The train split at Basingstoke and the 4VEP  departed to Southampton, then the rest turned right at Worting Jn

As per my post #917 .....

• RMweb Premium

With respect to the discussion above on tables being fitted (or not) to the DTSO vehicles as modelled 413, the unit destined for Swanage, seems to have been restored to blue-grey with tables fitted.  

https://www.facebook.com/SwanageTCgroup/photos/pcb.1829294190433522/1829295513766723/?type=3&theater

Hi All

I have both my 4-TC units up and running with Lenz decoders. I have to say I am very pleased with them - great initiative from Kernow, here's hoping for REP and CIG in the future.

But a couple of observations if I may

1. The colour of the interiors - white? These particularly stand-out on the corridor sides/compartments and vestibules to the point where I am going to have to repaint them. 

2. Electrical complexity - putting a 4 wire bus through 4 coaches must add cost. I am fortunate that my layout is in a dedicated room, hence the units will stay coupled, but I can easily see the connectors getting damaged by repeated coupling/uncoupling. I would have thought the established Bachmann 2 wire bar coupling would have been more robust, but would of course require a decoder (a cheap one) in each end.

• RMweb Gold

2. Electrical complexity - putting a 4 wire bus through 4 coaches must add cost. I am fortunate that my layout is in a dedicated room, hence the units will stay coupled, but I can easily see the connectors getting damaged by repeated coupling/uncoupling. I would have thought the established Bachmann 2 wire bar coupling would have been more robust, but would of course require a decoder (a cheap one) in each end.

Bachmann's earlier 4CEP has a 2-wire bar coupling but only needs a single decoder for the whole unit. However, although you can operate the head codes and interior lights independently, the head codes are not directional as on the 4-TC nor can you switch one end off. Also the 4TC has full current pickup on all 4 coaches, unlike the 4CEP where only the motor coach has this.

I've also found uncoupling the 4-way connector easier than with the 2-bar coupling which is a tight push-fit affair where it's all too easy to dislodge the close-coupling mechanism.  In my view the 4-way coupler is much superior and I wish my 4CEPs had them too. 

Edited by RFS

Bachmann's earlier 4CEP has a 2-wire bar coupling but only needs a single decoder for the whole unit. However, although you can operate the head codes and interior lights independently, the head codes are not directional as on the 4-TC nor can you switch one end off. Also the 4TC has full current pickup on all 4 coaches, unlike the 4CEP where only the motor coach has this.

I've also found uncoupling the 4-way connector easier than with the 2-bar coupling which is a tight push-fit affair where it's all too easy to dislodge the close-coupling mechanism.  In my view the 4-way coupler is much superior and I wish my 4CEPs had them too. 

Hi,

I thought the 4-CEP had pickups on every coach so that the 2-wire bar coupling can provide independent control of interior lightingand headcodes.

I've also found the 4-TC 4-way connector much better for coupling and uncoupling although I have bought stock boxes two coaches wide to reduce the amount of handling required and time taken at exhibitions.

How many independent DCC decoder functions does one need to fully represent 4-TC operation?.

Headcode panel white. x2 (when  4-TC is not a rear of train rear Headcode must be switched off, when not at front white headcode must be switched off?)

Headcode panel Red x2 (when  4-TC is not a rear of train rear Headcode must be switched off)

Cab interior light x2

Coach lighting x1.

Discuss.

I keep looking at small OLED graphics displays to see if some might become available that are small enough and cheap enough to display white headcodes and red rectangles on a black background.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I thought the 4-CEP had pickups on every coach so that the 2-wire bar coupling can provide independent control of interior lighting and head codes.

There are pickups on every coach, but only those on the motor coach supply power to the motor/decoder.  Those on the 3 trailer coaches just manage the returns for the lighting.  The two wires provide separate feeds for head codes and interior lighting. On the 2-EPB Bachmann messed up, and head codes and interior lights work in tandem on F0.  The fact that they blink when you change direction implies Bachmann were thinking about making them directional.  On the Thumper the head codes are directional and both they and the interior lighting work off F0. However, you can turn off the interior lighting independently but that's via a switch on the underside of each coach. 

• Tempfix

Finally got mine properly chipped tonight. A word of warning for those after the Bachmann 36-557 chip - make sure you find the ones in the blue blister pack. I specifically asked one nameless box-shifter for this and still got sent one of the older version in the little white box along with a printed invoice with my instruction not to do that thoughtfully included! Works fine with the newer one.

post-17911-0-68012900-1509313783_thumb.jpg

As others have said, it is a beautiful model and amazingly free-rolling (to the point of wondering why my boards aren't level!

post-17911-0-62075900-1509313796_thumb.jpg

Rich

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased with my NSE version which I was able to inspect over the weekend. Bit of work to do to get it exhibition ready with Portland back out in March.

I'm wondering whether the spare doors can be utilised to improve the front of the Hornby 4VEP.

attachicon.gif20171028_153129-1024x576.jpg

Hi Rich

Snap me too!

post-6922-0-58771200-1509401025.jpg

Also very pleased about the NSE version which made its debut on Tidworth this weekend at Weymouth prior to it getting any weathering and being paired with my own 33/1. (The pictured 33 is on loan from Nigel/Melangoose).

I had several conversations with people at the show regarding the curtains, I'm fairly sure they'd gone by the time the NSE livery was applied and the general consensus was the same, can anyone out there confirm one way or another? Looks like they are printed on to the glazing so no chance of removal I would of thought but I can overlook them, it was just interesting having the discussions and everyone remembered them on the B/G livery but not NSE.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had several conversations with people at the show regarding the curtains, I'm fairly sure they'd gone by the time the NSE livery was applied and the general consensus was the same, can anyone out there confirm one way or another? Looks like they are printed on to the glazing so no chance of removal I would of thought but I can overlook them, it was just interesting having the discussions and everyone remembered them on the B/G livery but not NSE.

I've just had a quick look through my book collection and in one book there are 2 shots of TC units in NSE, and no evidence of curtains in them. In another book (one of the Martin Welch EMU books) there are some photos of b/g units in 1988 which clearly still have orange curtains.

So my guess is, when those unit's did get repainted in NSE (i'm pretty sure only a few did) the curtains were taken out.