ECS Derailment - Paddington

An ECS has derailed outside Paddington. From the pictures it looks like it's under Ranelagh Bridge. Presumably it was traveling through Royal Oak Siding 1 before passing the shunt signal at red and then running over the points which would have been set against it. Fortunately the speed limit is 25mph and  it derailed away from the main running lines so nobody was hurt.

Link to BBC article, NR reporting SPAD: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36555082

All the best,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it has run through the traps in advance of SN6004 (as it was numbered, is it still?) as it's alongside former No.1A/the parcels platform.  The bridge in the background is Westbourne Bridge.

I presume it's fouling nothing so can't see why they didn't just leave it there until the service quietened down and clear it up then although as it's against that mast it might mean having to turn off the juice for the overhead and it could have damaged signal cables.  But apart from leaning against the mast (and perhaps colliding with the next one?) it looks like a simple rerailing job that should be squared up in a few hours leaving the track to be repaired.

• RMweb Gold

A poor effort, things were much better back in 1983 when 50041 managed to do the job properly by arriving at Paddington on its side...ah nostalgia! :scratchhead:

Trouble is that mucked thIngs up for quite a while; sorting this one is an easy job compared to that and all should be back to normal by morning.

Looks like it has run through the traps in advance of SN6004 (as it was numbered, is it still?) as it's alongside former No.1A/the parcels platform.  The bridge in the background is Westbourne Bridge.

I presume it's fouling nothing so can't see why they didn't just leave it there until the service quietened down and clear it up then although as it's against that mast it might mean having to turn off the juice for the overhead and it could have damaged signal cables.  But apart from leaning against the mast (and perhaps colliding with the next one?) it looks like a simple rerailing job that should be squared up in a few hours leaving the track to be repaired.

Still is I think, the track maps I have seen show Westbourne and Ranelagh Bridge swapped round. Thus SN6004 and the associated catch point appears to be between Ranelagh Bridge and Westbourne bridge, rather than west of Westbourne as it actually is in reality. The maps are older ones, so hopefully new ones have this corrected.

All the best,

Jack

• RMweb Premium

Good to see its not just WCR that have SPAD's

ALL operating companies have SPAD's. It is how they are dealt with (a) when they happen by the staff involved and (b) later on by the management. The problem with WCR was that neither stage appeared to be dealt with correctly.

The trap point is not positioned to divert vehicles into the stanchion. It is not visible on that last pic but it is somewhere around the far end of the second vehicle. That puts it almost at the next portal back, i.e. exactly where you would put it to divert a runaway between the stanchions, not into one. The fact that the train has continued to travel forwards whilst derailed for at least 45m is an issue with the train or the control (sic) of it, not the design of the infrastructure. 

The alternative would be to have the trap point divert vehicles towards the running line which kind of misses the point of having it.

The other notable point is that despite it hitting several tons of concreted-in girder work with enough force to bend it double, the cab of the turbo is intact apart from a smashed windscreen.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it's brought the portal down somewhat, that's going to be a bit of a mess to clear up!

Andi

Derailed turbo was still there this morning (08:30) with the London end cab sheeted over. The clouted portal is drooping somewhat, which explains why Lines 1 & 2 are closed from Westbourne Park, meaning platforms 1-5 are inaccesible. There's a (GWR green) Turbo trapped at the blocks on Pfm 1.

My HST was held at Royal Oak for about 15 minutes awaiting a slot into platforms 8-10.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it's brought the portal down somewhat, that's going to be a bit of a mess to clear up!

Andi

Yes, looking at another pic on one of the idiot national newspaper sites, and seeing the post below yours it clearly had a  very hefty collision with the second mast rather than just leaning against it.  Looks as if one complete car and part of the second have run through the trap so for some reason it must have been going quite hard.  The demolition of the mast is definitely more comprehensive than the earlier pictures suggest which has obviously added to the problems but unless the leading car is holding up the mast I can't see why it wasn't rerailed last night

Another photo https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClGStI5WMAAWHu3.jpg:large

Who puts a trap point leading into an overhead mast?

In that location a wide-to-gauge trap might be better but I doubt it would have made much difference (and could well have been much worse in consequences) if that unit was going as hard as it appears to have been going.  The whole of the leading car has run its entire length plus most of the length of the second car beyond the trap which suggests to me quite significant speed or some other reason (many possibles) why it went that far.  That is for the inquiry to establish.

Another question might of course be why does someone put a mast in advance of the run-off side of a trap point?  The layout/signalling and electrification were done roughly in parallel  but the track was there before the masts went up if I remember rightly although that line was no doubt slewed out from the platform at the design stage to make room for masts.

Still is I think, the track maps I have seen show Westbourne and Ranelagh Bridge swapped round. Thus SN6004 and the associated catch point appears to be between Ranelagh Bridge and Westbourne bridge, rather than west of Westbourne as it actually is in reality. The maps are older ones, so hopefully new ones have this corrected.

All the best,

Jack

If you look at the photo linked in post 0013 the site of the entrance to Ranelagh Bridge yard is visible just below the top edge of the picture - so SN6004 and the trap lie between Ranelagh Bridge Yard and Westbourne Bridge alongside the old parcels platform (Platform 1A).  The trap is clearly visible on Google maps and the first extract picture below shows it quite clearly plus the cantilever ohle structure which brought the unit to a stand immediately west of Westbourne Bridge.

The second picture gives wider view showing the site of Ranelagh Bridge yard a bit further to the west.

post-6859-0-73175400-1466156560_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-86093300-1466156572_thumb.jpg

Good to see its not just WCR that have SPAD's

I think you'll find some TOCs have had more SPADs THIS YEAR that West Coast have had in their whole history.

The critical difference is, proper operators don't allow drivers to reset and continue and have water tight management systems.

If you look at the photo linked in post 0013 the site of the entrance to Ranelagh Bridge yard is visible just below the top edge of the picture - so SN6004 and the trap lie between Ranelagh Bridge Yard and Westbourne Bridge alongside the old parcels platform (Platform 1A).  The trap is clearly visible on Google maps and the first extract picture below shows it quite clearly plus the cantilever ohle structure which brought the unit to a stand immediately west of Westbourne Bridge.

The second picture gives wider view showing the site of Ranelagh Bridge yard a bit further to the west.

I'm comparing the map I have seen to Google Earth, Google suggests the bridges are named as follows (as encountered by a down train) Bishops Bridge, Westborne Bridge and Ranelagh Bridge.

The track map I have seen shows the following:

post-146-0-33266500-1466158163_thumb.jpg

Bishops Bridge is omitted on the track map, thus what is labelled Ranelagh Bridge is actually Westbourne, so I think the catch point and signal are incorrectly shown on the map. The maps are a few years old, so perhaps the catch point and signal have been moved of course.

All the best,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

The only question I have is was the Signal passed fitted with TPWS?

Mark Saunders

It's a GPL - are there any with TPWS?

I'm comparing the map I have seen to Google Earth, Google suggests the bridges are named as follows (as encountered by a down train) Bishops Bridge, Westborne Bridge and Ranelagh Bridge.

The track map I have seen shows the following:

attachicon.gifTrack Map.jpg

Bishops Bridge is omitted on the track map, thus what is labelled Ranelagh Bridge is actually Westbourne, so I think the catch point and signal are incorrectly shown on the map. The maps are a few years old, so perhaps the catch point and signal have been moved of course.

All the best,

Jack

That map is almost correct except - as you can see from the pictures I linked - the angles of the two bridges to each other are not drawn correctly and in addition the distance has been greatly compressed between the platform ends and Westbourne Bridge thus missing out Bishops Bridge as this Google extract shows -

post-6859-0-14660500-1466159274_thumb.jpg

Archived