J.L.T.R.T. Snow pough in 7mm by OzzyO.

PS. David I can solder and solder very well as a lot of people on here and you know well, I just don't like to use glue but I want to get back into the workshop after what has happened in my life. 

Ozzyo -

I don't think I did infer that you could not solder yourself.  It was a general observation on what to some now is a drawback in etched kits.  You say I know you can solder but I'm sorry, I can't tie up Ozzyo with an actual customer name, so I didn't know.  But as I say, it was a general observation.

We were actually talking about price and it might be interesting to reflect that when we released that MMP snow plough kit the price was £21.90!

Regards

David Parkins

The main difference between a JLTRT kit and one of yours David is that your kits don't have 6" thick bodywork. The JLTRT one closely resembles a Tiger Tank in body thickness....

It's a shame you didn't do a 21t mineral wagon to I bet the JLTRT one has scale 3-4" thick sides to unlike your kits which are far more "Like the Real Thing" in every way shape and form.....

Mark J

Mark -

Gracious as ever! 

The main reason we did not tackle the 21T & 24T minerals was because, unlike the 16 Tonners, there were perfectly adequate kits out there.  This was certainly not the case with the 16 Ton wagons as some kits were a hotch-potch of LMS & BR features and no one had tackled the 8 shoe vac. fitted wagons - possibly because of the very complex underframes.

As a general view I have thought it a good idea avoid duplication where there is a good kit of a wagon already but it all seems to be 'open season' now - so who knows, maybe we'll have to look and at the 21T & 24T minerals afresh.  Meanwhile we do have, as you know, several more wagons to get out in the coming year or so - no names - no pack drill!

Regards,

David Parkins

• RMweb Gold

Mark -

Gracious as ever! 

The main reason we did not tackle the 21T & 24T minerals was because, unlike the 16 Tonners, there were perfectly adequate kits out there.  This was certainly not the case with the 16 Ton wagons as some kits were a hotch-potch of LMS & BR features and no one had tackled the 8 shoe vac. fitted wagons - possibly because of the very complex underframes.

As a general view I have thought it a good idea avoid duplication where there is a good kit of a wagon already but it all seems to be 'open season' now - so who knows, maybe we'll have to look and at the 21T & 24T minerals afresh.  Meanwhile we do have, as you know, several more wagons to get out in the coming year or so - no names - no pack drill!

Regards,

David Parkins

Hello David,

Credit where credit is due... You know I'm a more than happy customer.

There are lots of "Adequate kits out there but once you buy "Rolls Royce".. "Ford" doesn't quite cut the mustard anymore...

If you ever did do either wagons I would be on the phone with my details to place my order as quick as a flash... The same said for the other wagons as soon as you get chance to fit them in...

Just keep up the good work.

Mark J

Hello JeffP,

sounds like £43 for a kit that most people could not build!!!!!!!!!!

OzzyO.

Maybe what I should have said is, sounds like £43 for a kit that a lot of people could not build!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Why?  I've one sitting right here from when the kit was in the MMP range.  It looks no different from the one being built on this thread.  Just that you have to be able to solder!

David Parkins

Modern Motive Power

www.djparkins.com

Just a lot more parts in etched brass and very few castings.

Hello David,

my comment was not meant as a slight on the kit just that some people will buy a kit that is above there build ability and then blame the kit as it is in a "lower" price range. Not that it is in a higher build range than what they can do.

OzzyO.

PS. David I can solder and solder very well as a lot of people on here and you know well, I just don't like to use glue but I want to get back into the workshop after what has happened in my life. 

I stand by this comment. I had thought that you had seen and commented on some of my build threads on RMweb.

The main difference between a JLTRT kit and one of yours David is that your kits don't have 6" thick bodywork. The JLTRT one closely resembles a Tiger Tank in body thickness....

It's a shame you didn't do a 21t mineral wagon to I bet the JLTRT one has scale 3-4" thick sides to unlike your kits which are far more "Like the Real Thing" in every way shape and form.....

Mark J

The thickness of the sides, on the snowplough what does it matter as you can't see in it that well. As for the side frames the only time you will see them is if it's on it's side.

Ozzyo -

I don't think I did infer that you could not solder yourself.  It was a general observation on what to some now is a drawback in etched kits.  You say I know you can solder but I'm sorry, I can't tie up Ozzyo with an actual customer name, so I didn't know.  But as I say, it was a general observation.

We were actually talking about price and it might be interesting to reflect that when we released that MMP snow plough kit the price was £21.90!

Regards

David Parkins

Why should you tie me with an actual customer name, that is a problem with general observations (and assumptions [mine]).

I did not start talking about the price, I mentioned that the kit cost £100 and asked about if the etched kit from a few years ago was still about.

IIFC it was JeffP  that brought the price thing up. So in the time that the kit has been on the market (how long? I don't know) it has just about doubled in price . The cost of brass will have gone up the same as the cost of the etching process, Etc.

Would you like to let us all know when your kit was released?

OzzyO. 

• RMweb Gold

Dare I suggest participants have a cup of tea?

I think most people need something with a bit more fizz and energy than a calming cuppa lol... laziness as a compromise to technology and having everything done for us seems to be the order of the day now... what happened to the skilled modeller?? Most people are happy with anything today as long as it looks roughly like it should and takes 2 mins to get it running lol....

Hello all,

back after a bit of shopping and work.

Starting work on the pillbox (cab) the brass castings in place, only the handrails to fit.

attachicon.gif100 014.jpg

While the glue was going off I decided to drill a few holes in the plough base, I don't like the idea of only one hole going into a space. Call me old-fashioned.

attachicon.gif100 015.jpg

The handrails in place all twenty of them. J.L.T.R.T. say to use 0.7mm wire but I decided to use 0.6mm N/S wire. I do use spacers to keep the wires from the body as you can see. In all I used about 1'6" of wire to do them all (only one went into the bin, honest).

attachicon.gif100 016.jpg

I must try and remember to use this background, grey on grey does not work too well.

attachicon.gif100 017.jpg

The parts for the pill boxes all cleaned up on the inside (just got to fit the Brenn gun in the window).

attachicon.gif100 018.jpg

Starting to build the cabs, I went for how you would build a wagon, one side and one end. Then build the box. After this it was to clean up the base on one of my large wet'n'dry boards.

attachicon.gif100 019.jpg

A dry fit on the base of the ploughs.

attachicon.gif100 020.jpg

attachicon.gif100 021.jpg

Now it's the three main parts of the plough. that are going for a test fit.

attachicon.gif100 022.jpg

The parts all dry fitted and looking very good. It looks like a ZZA to me. Still a bit of work to do on them but up to now only about 8 hours each (a lot of that time is due to the glue going off).

attachicon.gif100 023.jpg

OzzyO.

Build is looking Great, looking forward to the next instalment

I think most people need something with a bit more fizz and energy than a calming cuppa lol... laziness as a compromise to technology and having everything done for us seems to be the order of the day now... what happened to the skilled modeller?? Most people are happy with anything today as long as it looks roughly like it should and takes 2 mins to get it running lol....

I'm, not sure to what you are commenting on as if you have a look at some of my build threads you will see that is not the case with me.

I can  scrachbuild when I have to, to get the locos that I want , but if a good kit is about for them why scratchbuild one?

Most of the locos that I build take a bit longer than 2mins. to build and that is using a good quality kit.

OzzyO.

PS. have we seen any of your builds on this forum?

Shall we get away from our computers and back to some model building perhaps?

Some tiny comments reap such long and boring dialogue that the thread interest fades!

Lets just get on with what we all love and want to see others enjoying.

I'm, not sure to what you are commenting on as if you have a look at some of my build threads you will see that is not the case with me.

I can  scrachbuild when I have to, to get the locos that I want , but if a good kit is about for them why scratchbuild one?

Most of the locos that I build take a bit longer than 2mins. to build and that is using a good quality kit.

OzzyO.

PS. have we seen any of your builds on this forum?

What I think markjj was alluding to was the increase in the availability of the ready to run market and what he considers to be the demise of the skilled model maker. I don't necessarily agree with him as I believe there will always be 'skilled' model makers who enjoy metal bashing and getting their fingers burnt to produce a model of their own making. I don't decry the 'cheque book' modeller as probably their skills lie in other directions, and take priority, but they still have a love of model railways that they need, and can afford to, indulge in. The world moves on and in some cases more quickly than we might like which changes things. Don't hanker after living in the past. By all means celebrate it but also  embrace the future and make the best of it.

Sandy

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ozzy and Sandy

Please don't take my comments as a personal attack on anyone's abilities in particular yourself Ozzy.

I'm never going to be a politician and as I told someone off here the other day I don't take prisoners.

I don't and never will post my work on here for several reasons although you may see an odd photo if someone needs help with something.

I have nothing against people spending their money it's up to the individual what they do.

What does really annoy me is all this "TOY" buying is now seriously hampering my choice of modelling.

I now by my own choice only buy my kits from 2 suppliers I won't name them but I'm sure you can work it out from my comments.

One of these suppliers I know has many things in the pipeline but because of all the "TOYS" now available or about to be available this could get hampered and may never become a reality....

I myself nearly cried earlier this year at Kettering when I saw people walking out of the door carrying arms full of Heljan and other "TOYS"

I personally have decided to drop out of the rat race after spending almost 40 years in the electronics industry I'm now in the process of moving up to Bonny Scotland and putting my feet up (well most of the time).

Along with starting again in life I'm planning to make my own little tribute to the S&C by building a layout with some proper length trains something I have dreamed of for many years.

I was always a GWR man but I can't find kits of the right quality to suit my needs. So now having settled on the best medium to suit me had i the skills or inclination I would "Scratchbuild" it all.... So it's now a race against time to collect all the kits I need from the 2 suppliers and hopefully a few new ones will still come along to fill the gaps if not I may just have to do them myself once I work out how...

Once I do get building again and I haven't done much for the last 5 years due to my personal circumstances I will hopefully put all my stuff on "My own" website and show you how I build my stuff....

All I ask is for everyone to think about the damage we are or could be doing to some of our smaller suppliers who go out of their way to give us some "Quality products" that really are "Like the real thing"

One more thing Ozzy I'm extremely sorry I interupted your thread it's good to see you back building again. All the best

Mark J

I've been looking in to these as well recently as they do some Coke hoppers, from what I can gather is they go together well but are quite basic. There's not much interior detail which I suppose isn't an issue if they have a load inside.

It does look like they have some interesting wagons though.

Hello all,

has anybody built any kits from this company? M&M models link to their web site  http://www.modelrailwaywagons.co.uk/Index.htm

TFAH

OzzyO.

Hi OzzyO

I recently bought a pair of their 13T Open Hybar wagons (D1/039) with the wooden inserts. I haven't built one yet but on inspection of the kits they appear quite good quality.

I haven't measured or counted rivets, so I can't vouch for the 'accuracy' that you may demand of a kit, but they're good value for money.

They don't come with sprung buffers, just cast white metal type, nor wheel sets, but I was aware of that before purchase. I can't recall about compensation either!

I'll be home next friday, so I can post some pictures of the components, if you so desire?

Regards, Deano.

Edit further to Markjj below, their trading name on eBay is 'oneonthewagon86'

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

has anybody built any kits from this company? M&M models link to their web site http://www.modelrailwaywagons.co.uk/Index.htm

TFAH

OzzyO.

If you look them up on ebay a lot of their kits are listed on there with the kit laid out over several photos so you can see what you get for your money.

A lot of the kits you can add a poppy's woodtech interior kit to if you want the missing interior for them.

Mark J

I have built there Lowmac

Ian G

Hello Ian G.

how was it to build, how does it look and how would it (or any of their kits look in a mixed train of kits?). The Lowmac could be a very good wagon for one of our engineering trains.

OzzyO.

PS. could you post a photo or two, please?

Hi Ozzy,

I built their Pipe wagon and straight after I built the one by Parkside, both wagons went together OK, but if I had to choose I would say the Parkside kit just pips it. The Parkside wagon has sharper detail whereas the M&M version was should we say a bit more chunky when it came to the hinge and strapping detail and the smaller parts were not as crisp.

HTH,

Martyn.

If you want some photos I will dig them out of the " waiting to be sprayed cupboard ".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived