Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Interesting.  Might need a bit of surgery to handles etc. but maybe worth investigating.

They do other types as well- but it was only the lenses I was thinking of using for missing Modelu ones.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I always used a tiny dot of superglue when I was fitting the Modelu self-adhesive lenses, because I didn't trust the adhesive and because half the time I'd left the adhesive on the backing anyway!

Having said that, the last batch of lamps I got from Modelu had a different type of lens. Maybe they realised those self-adhesive ones were problematic.

P.S. Great shots from inside the scene, John!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I always used a tiny dot of superglue when I was fitting the Modelu self-adhesive lenses, because I didn't trust the adhesive and because half the time I'd left the adhesive on the backing anyway!

Funny you should say that Phil. I found this morning that I had just one red Modelu lens left in stock,  so I put it on the E95's tail lamp very carefully - using superglue!

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

shots from inside the scene,

This where the compact and capable Panasonic TZ100 comes into its own.  And its 'post focus' setting does half the work of focus merging for you. (My iMac and ffworks do most of the rest.)  If I was using a big dSLR to try these kinds of shot I would probably have knocked half the layout down by now.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Harlequin said:

New lamps and lenses:

Ordered some yesterday, plus a loco crew, so let's see how the new type lenses shape up.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Kernow link is not working, well not on my PC. Must be popular as Rapido's own site has this and many other 1907 PO wagons already sold out.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Kernow link is not working, well not on my PC. Must be popular as Rapido's own site has this and many other 1907 PO wagons already sold out.

Here's the Rail's link Mike @Coach bogie

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/rapido-trains-uk-967210-7-plank-1907-railway-clearing-house-open-wagon-renwick-wilton-co-ltd-devon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/04/2024 at 18:28, gwrrob said:

One of Rapido's latest wagon releases struck a chord with me John @checkrail It even has the same running number as the Replica model I have.

Yes, got one of those on order Robin @gwrrob. Looks very nice. I have two of the Bachmann 1923 RCH pattern ones and two from POWsides kits. Also a couple of the Bachy Renwick Wilton & Dobson ones.  I didn't know that Replica had done one (and with the same number as the new Rapido model!)

The R,W & D ones are a dark red. My existing RW ones are black.  The new Rapido 1907 type is a dark reddish-brown.  What colour was the Replica one?  It's got me thinking -  were RW wagons perhaps always dark brown, misinterpreted by modellers and manufacturers looking at b & w photos?  Or did RW start off painting their wagons dark brown, subsequently change to black, then change again to a dark red after merging to become R,W & D?  

Spent an interesting half hour the other day googling the history of the firm.  Among other things I found  a nice pic of their 1951 Hull-built collier "Renwick" passing Portishead out from Bristol. It was converted into a sand dredger in 1969. And surprisingly the company later branched out into running a. travel agency, having a shop in Torquay. Some stuff too about the company patriarch Cliff Wilton. But nothing more about their wagon fleet. 

John C.

PS. Nearly forgot - it seems that Dapol once did a 5 plank R & W wagon in light grey. But I've never had much confidence in the accuracy of their PO wagons.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The Replica version is the same colour as the Rapido model. Did you see that photo in Google images of one in the siding at Pontypool Road.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Did you see that photo in Google images of one in the siding at Pontypool Road.

I did Robin. Great photo with plenty of locos stock in the frame. Hadn't come across 'Acorn' PO wagons before.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 03:28, gwrrob said:

One of Rapido's latest wagon releases struck a chord with me John @checkrail It even has the same running number as the Replica model I have.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/81540/967210-WSL-Rapido-RCH-1907-7-Plank-Wagon-Renwick-Wilton-Torquay

RW.png.a5ec228b1f240096e00d74c94f0e07d2.png

Now showing in stock at Rails.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 16/04/2024 at 17:04, gwrrob said:

Apart from Gibson wheels, what treatment will these get John

Shortened couplings so that the front of the coupling loop is in line with the buffer heads, and weathering. The RW wagon (of which more anon) will also get the Brian Kirby coupling modification and some added friction as it will from time to time work in and out of Stoke C. yard so needs to be 'shuntable'.  That won't apply to the other two which will go into the returning coal empties train.  

Edited by checkrail
'Brian' Kirby, not 'Alan'
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I'm really torn between placing an order for a couple of them, or buying 4 pre lettered kits from POW sides.   They do look rather nice!

POWsides have a long waiting list at the moment, not a great service.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I'm really torn between placing an order for a couple of them, or buying 4 pre lettered kits from POW sides.   

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

POWsides have a long waiting list at the moment,

Talk of POWsides reminds me that having built some of their kits in the past, often supplied with Slater's or similar kits as a base, I already had some 1907 pattern RCH wagons.  An example ( two in fact) is the Renwick Wilton wagon below (left).  I always wondered why it and its companion were slightly different dimensionally from my two Bachmann versions.  The new Rapido RW wagon has a different lettering style to those others. Here it is sandwiched between the aforementioned POWsides one and one of my Bachmann R, W and Dobson ones. 

NewPOwagons2.jpeg.b7f9e39a70e61c83bbfc85ca22d3e2aa.jpeg

I realise I've got quite a mix of periods here for one firm's wagons, but they're interesting and hopefully add a bit to the sense of place,  I guess the Rapido one is the earliest livery, the black ones next in age and the R, W & D one the final version after the merging of the companies?  Any further light on this would be welcomed. There's a good picture of the black ones (if they ever were really black) in Tim Bryan's 'A year in the life of the Great Western', showing three of them in the yard at Bodmin in 1925.

John C.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

POWsides have a long waiting list at the moment, not a great service.

Thats good to know, I quite fancy getting one of the kingsbridge wagon along with a couple of Forrest of Dean examples of places we regularly visit (of which one is in Rapido's range causing all this temptation.)

• Like 3