Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that if I have a job to do in the garage, not necessarily railway related, I also like to run a train round, that’s why we build layouts.

Brian.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

watch trains go round while I worked

Excellent.

One of the 'wish list' items for my railway was for rail level of the main lines to be at (my!) eye level when sat on the folding chairs used in the operating well. This also gives me a view across the island platform surface, between the platform buildings, as well. Rail level of the main lines is 1100mm above floor level.

The downside will be when I replace the platform mock up, then I will have to detail the underneath of the canopy as it will be on full display. 

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Why didn't I think of this years ago?

Happens frequently that life bowls along and you then get that light bulb moment.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Rail level of the main lines is 1100mm above floor level.

Snap! Mine is 1100mm too.  I use an old swivelling office chair on castors and tend to roll it round the chipboard floor, propelled by my feet, following the trains with my hand held controller. 

I haven't asked what it sounds like on the floor below.,

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 04/02/2024 at 14:40, checkrail said:

Snap! Mine is 1100mm too.  I use an old swivelling office chair on castors and tend to roll it round the chipboard floor, propelled by my feet, following the trains with my hand held controller. 

I haven't asked what it sounds like on the floor below.,

I cut mine down from 1250 to 1100mm when we moved, it's a much more agreeable height for viewing and working on.

As for the noise, I always know if a friend of mine is running his old school O gauge in the loft the minute I walk in the house. Conversely, he doesn't hear my even more old school motorcycle pulling into the front yard!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I cut mine down from 1250 to 1100mm when we moved, it's a much more agreeable height for viewing and working on.

I recommend nipple height. Armpit height is too high to reach across comfortably.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I recommend nipple height. Armpit height is too high to reach across comfortably.

1100mm is belt buckle height on me, and I'm not exactly a giant.

You just wanted to include a nipple or armpit reference.... 😉 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Your nipple height or Chesty Morgan's?

I suspect that many on here won't know her, Google is your friend!

• Funny 5

4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I don't think I dare look.

It's impossible to un-see things....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Waist level?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I was referring to the z-axis, not the y-axis...

Damn, I've given away my age now.

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't think I dare look.

It's impossible to un-see things....

As they used to say about Rolls-Royce, if you have to ask you don't need to know.

2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Steps??

Yes. I use them when I need to work at the back of the layout but you don't want to be lugging them around everywhere with you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes. I use them when I need to work at the back of the layout but you don't want to be lugging them around everywhere with you.

Upper Hembury stands a tad under 1100mm = waist height for me. I've just tested my footstool (200mm) and that gives me enough elevation to reach the very back corner (1250mm) directly over the station building. I'm sure I tested that during the build phase but it's comforting to confirm now there's the infrastructure in situ.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Chesty Morgan's?

She "featured" in an establishment somewhere in the appropriately named "Combat Zone" in downtown Boston when I was a student there in the early 70s. Hence I needed no research!

We used to go to an excellent ultra-cheapie Chinese restaurant which we still fondly remember. Main issue we faced was to cross The Zone to get there from our place, needless to say we didn't go after dark on any account!

More info for anyone interested in this phase of her career can be found on the "Faceache" page "Old Dirty Boston" - disclaimer, no association, promise!

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

Brilliant phots of a brilliant layout - as ever! One query: what's the first van (or third wagon) behind 4574? I'm sure it's correct for your period, but it looks rather like one of those featured on mid Victorian prints of the Liverpool & Manchester and London & Birmingham!

David C

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, David C said:

One query: what's the first van (or third wagon) behind 4574?

Many thanks for kind words David.  The van is a 3D printed ex-SECR vehicle, produced a couple of years or so back to a commission by Rails of Sheffield. It's in the post 1936 SR livery with small lettering, as that was the only option in the first print run, which makes it look a little anonymous from a distance. 

John C.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Many thanks for kind words David.  The van is a 3D printed ex-SECR vehicle, produced a couple of years or so back to a commission by Rails of Sheffield. It's in the post 1936 SR livery with small lettering, as that was the only option in the first print run, which makes it look a little anonymous from a distance. 

John C.

I have one too and the quality wasn't brilliant. Interesting that Rail's haven't done anymore 3D wagons since, maybe too expensive.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I have one too and the quality wasn't brilliant. Interesting that Rail's haven't done anymore 3D wagons since, maybe too expensive.

Having just re-charged the camera I can now post a close-up picture of it. 

9feb10.jpeg.dc1b7fa59e2c89fb5f8ead493558dc5e.jpeg

I don't think it looks too bad from NVD but I think the idea a few years back that 3D printing would give us  lots of wagons that weren't economical to produce by plastic injection moulding has been overtaken by the likes of Rapido. (Granted that their prices are similar to the 'premium' price that 3D printed models commanded.). In the case of the iron mink a plastic one came out very soon after a 3D printed one had appeared on the market.

(This photo has shown me that half a fishplate (a C & L plastic one) is missing. Must replace.)

John C.

Edited by checkrail
typo
  • Like 15