Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, I'm about to start my Nu-Cast kit, that's been in the round tuit pile for over 30 years, so you shouldn't have long to wait...

I think mine has been waiting a similar amount of time to replace the missing foot step.

Mike Wiltshire

2021.jpg.13d66d8773f72acb90957ffe2a6a9234.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2024 at 09:13, Coach bogie said:

I think mine has been waiting a similar amount of time to replace the missing foot step.

Mike Wiltshire

2021.jpg.13d66d8773f72acb90957ffe2a6a9234.jpg

Hi Mike,

Could you please measure the gap, between the cab side sheet and the bunker, please. I have two panniers and a saddle tank on the go and the initial gap that I got was 4mm, which is obviously too small.

Many Thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Hi Mike,

Could you please measure the gap, between the cab side sheet and the bunker, please. I have two panniers and a saddle tank on the go and the initial gap that I got was 4mm, which is obviously too small.

Many Thanks.

Unfortunately my 2021 is in the UK and I am in Brisbane and cannot measure until my next trip home. If you have some spacers, the dimensions could be calculated using the 16mm driving wheels as a guide.

Sorry

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Unfortunately my 2021 is in the UK and I am in Brisbane and cannot measure until my next trip home. If you have some spacers, the dimensions could be calculated using the 16mm driving wheels as a guide.

Sorry

Mike Wiltshire

After I posted my question, I did wonder if you would have the loco at your current location.

Thanks, anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Took some photos of their (Rapido) O18 and loco coal wagons at Ally Pally, very nice too John, photos anon.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Took some photos of their (Rapido) O18 and loco coal wagons at Ally Pally, very nice too John, photos anon.

Look forward to those Robin. Have one of each on order.  I suppose I'm really just duplicating kit-built examples, but one feels one must support the trade when it produces the GWR goods -  until the bank card starts glowing in the dark.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, checkrail said:

Look forward to those Robin. Have one of each on order.  

Me too, here are the EP's.

DSCN9281.JPG.ff6048496f3c59d249224c8862e11d9b.JPG

DSCN9282.JPG.c0d483befb0ab2780d9b2f89b555fd78.JPG

DSCN9283.JPG.8e0d4dff401ee5edb6a5401cdeaef731.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

The other change made to the new Rapido wagons was to swap the 'orrible shiny wheels for Gibsons. At this price I'd expect the wheels to be either blackened or painted.  Seems like spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar. And priming and painting bare metal wheels and cleaning the treads is soul destroying. Will the 44xx emerge with shiny wheels in the pony trucks? Don't think so.

RapidoMinksopens3.jpeg.55cf2f0ff3c55b0f4c2302d45ef1fe43.jpeg

While I was at it I dug out the Rapido Toad which has been 'parked' for a while, as it has no current duties.  Makes me wonder why I bought it (but see yesterday's post). It had the same treatment plus the fitting of lamps. I'd just run out of Modelu lamp lenses so improvised in the time-honoured way with white and red paint and a drop of gloss varnish. Now it just needs a bit more weathering below solebar level.

RapidoMinksopens5.jpeg.03c19860bbfefa465d6ac64f72f0dbf2.jpeg

You can see the slight misalignment of the Toad roof here. Rapido did warn that once it had been removed to open the interior for viewing it wouldn't go back on perfectly (in other words they cocked up) but it wouldn't be noticeable.  It is. I tried supergluing it but to no avail.  Wish I'd left it now - why did I want to see the inside anyway?

RapidoMinksopens4.jpeg.d74ec4586d238432b900e9e318911fb6.jpeg

You can see here that I have some reservations about Rapido, but they are very nice wagons.

John C.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2024 at 15:59, checkrail said:

It had the same treatment plus the fitting of lamps. I'd just run out of Modelu lamp lenses so improvised in the time-honoured way with white and red paint and a drop of gloss varnish.

As someone who struggles (well, indeed, has given up) with the fiddlyness of fitting the lenses to the Modelu lamps, I'll have to give this a go. You've probably mentioned it and I've missed it but do you do the same with the headlamps, any colour behind the varnish "lens"?

Edited by The Great Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

* coming through the Velux window.

I thought GWR windows on roofs were called Clerestory, not Velux  . . . . 🤔😬

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Fishplate said:

I thought GWR windows on roofs were called Clerestory, not Velux  . . . . 🤔😬

ChuffinCC7-1.jpg.5a5c166223f8687e3bcf1985ba9db7d3.jpgIt depends on the stock. These little loft extensions have velux windows 😆

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 7
  • Funny 2

15 hours ago, checkrail said:

Back to express passenger action.   Launceston Castle heads for Plymouth North Road as a fitful gleam of sunshine*  lights up Stoke Courtenay.

LC1.jpeg.e8de132a155b3ffaa36cabea5eae1bcc.jpeg

LC2.jpeg.01ffd26b6e23db7e55aae75d482bbb9e.jpeg

LC3.jpeg.394e783c6a48ee92c4e71097f1c1f2b2.jpeg

* coming through the Velux window.

John C.

I take it the Velux is new since I visited last?

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

I take it the Velux is new since I visited last?

No, it was installed as part of a new roof and loft flooring job while Stoke C. was nought but a glimmer in my mind's eye.  Wouldn't have wanted to install one above an existing layout!  Perhaps it was a dull day when you visited.  Lord knows we've had enough of them.

Btw, it's pleasing to report that the nice double and single slips you built for me are still working beautifully.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

As someone who struggles (well, indeed, has given up) with the fiddlyness of fitting the lenses to the Modelu lamps, I'll have to give this a go. You've probably mentioned it and I've missed it but do you do the same with the headlamps, any colour behind the varnish "lens"?

I know what you mean - they drove me to distraction . I used to go through about 6 lenses to make one lamp. The other five either de-laminated, lost their sticky stuff or ended up disappearing from knife blade or tweezers. I now use gloss red or gloss white with a blob of gloss varnish on top when dry.  It doesn't look as good as the original Modelu lenses but it's better than their current ones with their weird colouring.  A pleasant young chap on the Modelu stand at Warley gave me a long account of the economic reasons they could no longer supply the original type, but I forget the details!

I seem to remember that donkeys' years ago people used little coloured brilliants. Next time I'm in Hobbycraft I'm going to have a look at the craft jewellery section.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

5557 has just cleared the up end pointwork and is about to set back into the branch platform

55d.jpeg.52c4315cc8dbdd4606e92a5ef48a1d9b.jpeg

Nearly there ...

55e.jpeg.10057a63134c4e206e22c438fda60a3d.jpeg

Now just waiting to be uncoupled before running round its train.

55f.jpeg.4c8e57917dfd7e9a4a208896cb612fe5.jpeg

John C.

What do you get when you cross great modelling with great photography?….

…..see above 👍

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1