Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

I really like the pose of the crew. They look like they are actually doing something. Reminds me of Ben Asworth photographs, where he always seamed to show the crew at work. NICE

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike. They're those nice Modelu figures. Not sure exactly what the pair of them are doing (I wouldn't have much of a clue as to how to drive or fire a steam locomotive) but I'm glad it looks realistic!

John C.

Edited by checkrail

• RMweb Gold

Is there a likelihood of the layout featuring in one of the magazines at some point? I'm sure it would go down a storm.

Thanks Mike. Andy York was going to get back to me about 18 months ago, but had a surfeit of GWR/WR layouts to get through at the time! But I'm working on a draft article in spare moments. Might fire it off to RM at some point.

John C.

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike. Andy York was going to get back to me about 18 months ago, but had a surfeit of GWR/WR layouts to get through at the time! But I'm working on a draft article in spare moments. Might fire it off to RM at some point.John C.

You could be in time for the 60th anniversary of this issue containing Miller and Philos’ inspirational GWR mainline layout!

post-21027-0-44373100-1540557200.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You could be in time for the 60th anniversary of this issue containing Miller and Philos’ inspirational GWR mainline layout!

Brilliant! Would you believe that was the first issue of RM (Feb. 1959)I ever had delivered, at age 11, and I've still got it. That layout made a profound impression on me, and though there was a rather scrappy Part 2 in the March ed. I never saw it mentioned again. Wonder what happened to it? I believe that Messrs Philo & Miller were called in to build it for a Mr Penfold. Any relation to Colin of this parish?

"A magnificent system" indeed, and one whose spacious looks were always in the forefront of my mind when building Stoke Courtenay (though their achievements of 6o years ago knock mine into a cocked hat).

Thanks for reminding me. I've just dug it out and am having a good read.

John C.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike. Andy York was going to get back to me about 18 months ago, but had a surfeit of GWR/WR layouts to get through at the time! But I'm working on a draft article in spare moments. Might fire it off to RM at some point.

John C.

My experience John tells me that RM will be interested if it has first dabs at photographing and publishing SC before the others. Mine was in BRM first and hence no interest from Steve Flint, more's the pity and shame.

• RMweb Gold

I’m sad I threw all my old RMs away several years ago. What a pity they haven’t been digitised like the Meccano Magazine. This is the only layout that I remember for being so spectacular and I found the cover by googling Philo- a name I hadn’t forgotten !

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Gold

A fitful gleam of afternoon sun illuminates 5041 Tiverton Castle as it heads towards Stoke Courtenay on an up express.

post-15399-0-71010500-1540566159_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile 3603 shunts the yard.

post-15399-0-79867600-1540566234_thumb.jpg

I think pannier tanks looked quite smart with the 'shirtbutton' emblem.

John C.

• Like 18

If Wencombe could get into RM, I'm sure Stoke Courtenay deserves to get in. I suggest you send some photos to Steve Flint. He was happy to use my photos in the article. Saved him sending a photographer all the way to East Norfolk.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My experience John tells me that RM will be interested if it has first dabs at photographing and publishing SC before the others. Mine was in BRM first and hence no interest from Steve Flint, more's the pity and shame.

Actually, I support Steve Flint's position on this. I find it extremely irritating when a magazine features the same layout that was in a different magazine only a matter of months earlier - or, in one recent case, even the same month.

In days gone the magazines required a declaration that you had not submitted, and would not submit, the same or similar material to one of the others before they would accept items for publication.

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I support Steve Flint's position on this. I find it extremely irritating when a magazine features the same layout that was in a different magazine only a matter of months earlier - or, in one recent case, even the same month.

Can't really agree with you there I'm afraid. Surely really good layouts bear repeat exposure. They can also benefit from the approach of different photographers, and perhaps different emphases in the accompanying text. I know I enjoyed all three recent articles featuring ANTB for instance (and have cut them out and kept them in my 'Inspirations' file).

And if you were asked whether you'd rather see 12 photographs of, say, Buckingham Great Central, Little Bytham or Pendon, or 48, which would you choose? I know what my answer would be!

(Wish I had 48 pics of Mr Penfold's wonderful layout in the Feb. 1959 RM!)

John C.

Edited by checkrail

• RMweb Premium

Can't really agree with you there I'm afraid. Surely really good layouts bear repeat exposure. They can also benefit from the approach of different photographers, and perhaps different emphases in the accompanying text. I know I enjoyed all three recent articles featuring ANTB for instance (and have cut them out and kept them in my 'Inspirations' file).

And if you were asked whether you'd rather see 12 photographs of, say, Buckingham Great Central, Little Bytham or Pendon, or 48, which would you choose? I know what my answer would be!

(Wish I had 48 pics of Mr Penfold's wonderful layout in the Feb. 1959 RM!)

John C.

We'll have to agree to disagree I think John!

Yes, good layouts are worth seeing and reading about but not, in my opinion, only a few months apart. However, watching their development over several years - Buckingham was a good example - is very enjoyable for me.

To answer your specific question, I'd rather see four sets of photos of different layouts rather than four of the same one.

• RMweb Gold

I find it fine to see the same layout featured in different mags not too far apart in publication dates, but not fine when the text is identical, as I've noticed in a few recent cases.

I any case I do hope it won't be long before we see Stoke Courtenay in print.

• RMweb Premium

In days gone the magazines required a declaration that you had not submitted, and would not submit, the same or similar material to one of the others before they would accept items for publication.

To be fair, that was when layouts were more plentiful. When a magazine chewed through 3 layouts per magazine over 20-30 years, it's understandable that the number of layouts that have never been covered before would run out.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

if I remember correctly there were at least 2 if not 3 years between and article on Wencombe appearing in RM and the Hornby magazine as a layout article. therew as another in RM about how I had worked out the timetable. I had been hoping that Kingsbridge Regis would have been in BRM but unfortunately Andy Y had to cancel the phot shoot and the layout was broken up before we could arrange another date.

On John's point about articles on the same layout appearing in different magazines within a couple of months of each I am in agreement with him. It's not too bad if they  appear a couple off years apart where some more work may have been done with a different slant on the write up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, that was when layouts were more plentiful. When a magazine chewed through 3 layouts per magazine over 20-30 years, it's understandable that the number of layouts that have never been covered before would run out.

Are you sure? Based on typical exhibition schedules in the magazines, there must be at least 200 layouts on display somewhere on any given weekend. That certainly wasn't the case when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s.

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few of 4908 Broome Hall calling at Stoke Courtenay with an up stopper bound for Newton Abbot.

post-15399-0-50108300-1540741250_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-78105800-1540741272_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-21748800-1540741298_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-44850400-1540741320_thumb.jpg

I have to crop these station shots quite a bit to cut out the views of the purlins and the fluorescent tubes, hence the elongated format.

John C.

• Like 17

Here are a few of 4908 Broome Hall calling at Stoke Courtenay with an up stopper bound for Newton Abbot.

attachicon.gifP1040801.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040802.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040803.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040804.JPG

I have to crop these station shots quite a bit to cut out the views of the purlins and the fluorescent tubes, hence the elongated format.

John C.

I think we're an understanding bunch John but if it worries you about them being in the pictures just cut 'em out !  What could possibly go wrong eh ?   :jester:

G

• 1 month later...

I mentioned some time back that my 28xx was in need of some weathering, a process that for me has so far been limited to bits of dry-brushing and flat varnishing. The weird Hornby green, like a cross between sage leaves and pea soup, was crying out for treatment, so - heart in mouth - I finally plucked up the courage to point the airbrush at it.

So here's a rather dirty 2819, heading towards South Wales with coal empties.

attachicon.gifP1040836.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040835.JPG

I didn't mean to make it quite this dirty at first, but firstly I was a bit heavy-handed with the airbrush (still learning re the balance between air pressure and paint flow), and secondly I knocked the damn thing over before it was dry, which meant either stripping back to square 1 or wafting over a few more coats to hide the scars! Being impatient I opted for the latter.

attachicon.gifP1040837.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040832.JPG

attachicon.gifP1040839.JPG

A few more to follow.

John C.

I think that looks really good  John. Especially for a first weathering attempt.

Have just bought an old Hormby one (early BR emblem in Black) with a ringfield motor in the tender and I shall be weathering that one too.

Hope it looks similar to yours.