Does Anyone Make a 4mm Lorry Like This?

BG John

Does anyone know of a 4mm scale model of a lorry that looks something like this? I've had a quick look at the makers of RTP vehicles I know of, but can't find anything. RTP or kit will do. If not, I want something suitable for a pre WW2 layout that has a bit (or better still, a lot) of character.

post-7091-0-33664000-1468251596.jpg

Sorry about the small picture, but it's a crop of a tiny part of a bigger scan of a poor quality image.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was hoping to find something cheaper, like something from Oxford for under a tenner, but they don't seem to exist. Almost everything on the layout is being made from my surplus stuff I've collected over the last 40 or so years, and the lorry could end up as the most expensive item! So I've ordered an Oxford Austin 7 van, and a couple of cars, for less than the price of one lorry, and they're ready built and painted too. Not exactly what I was looking for, but I think they'll convey the effect I'm aiming for.

Maybe a lorry will appear one day, and I'll now know where to look for it.

• RMweb Premium

I want something older than 1940s. There's almost nothing 1920s and early 30s, or earlier.

As has been mentioned the Russian GAZ AA is identical to the Ford AA of 1929/30. There is also a Ford model T Ambulance kit that can easily be converted to a van, the model T continued in production until 1928. Seeing as there was no roadworthiness test many WW1 vehicles continued in civilian use in some instances into the 50's.

Peco used to make a 1920s style lorry kit as well as its buses etc. and they still turn up on ebay from time to time, it was a 1926 Thornycroft I think so it might be worth keeping an eye out on there. I believe Keilcraft may have made an inter war period lorry too but I'm not 100% on that one. Steve

Just checked and it looks like Peco still make the lorry see this link

http://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=3298,3301&CAT_ID=3308&numRecordPosition=1

(No connection to product)

Peco used to make a 1920s style lorry kit as well as its buses etc. and they still turn up on ebay from time to time, it was a 1926 Thornycroft I think so it might be worth keeping an eye out on there. I believe Keilcraft may have made an inter war period lorry too but I'm not 100% on that one. Steve

http://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=3298,3301&CAT_ID=3308&numRecordPosition=1

Brilliant, Thanks. Found one on eBay for £7 with free postage.

• RMweb Premium

The old Merit kit. The other lorry was indeed made by Keilcraft and is still sometimes listed by Knightwing. Keilcraft also produced some steam wagons.

The old Merit kit. The other lorry was indeed made by Keilcraft and is still sometimes listed by Knightwing. Keilcraft also produced some steam wagons.

This one? The Peco kit is much more suitable, so I don't think I'll get one.

I've got plenty of vehicles now, so don't need any more. Thanks everyone.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what scale the Corgi WW1 Old Bill Bus is? It looks small for 1/76th. Is it like the old Matchbox one - designed to fit a box, rather than to a recognised scale? Some of them were converted to lorries. If they are a bit small they could convert into a smaller truck.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know what scale the Corgi WW1 Old Bill Bus is? It looks small for 1/76th. Is it like the old Matchbox one - designed to fit a box, rather than to a recognised scale? Some of them were converted to lorries. If they are a bit small they could convert into a smaller truck.

AEC makers of the 'Old Bill' bus made a 2 tonner during the 1920's, so a conversion would be about the correct size for that. Its surprising to our modern eyes how small a lot of old vehicles are, the B type double deck bus is much the same width/length as a larger Transit van.

Finding vehicles to the right scale is a bit of a nightmare. It was a real pain trying to find some 7mm ones, as lots that are advertised as 1:43 scale aren't. Fortunately I've got enough now for my current needs, but it was hard work.

Having said that though, I wouldn't mind a car or other motor vehicle suitable for 1905 in 4mm scale. Any suggestions?

• RMweb Premium

Finding vehicles to the right scale is a bit of a nightmare. It was a real pain trying to find some 7mm ones, as lots that are advertised as 1:43 scale aren't. Fortunately I've got enough now for my current needs, but it was hard work.

Having said that though, I wouldn't mind a car or other motor vehicle suitable for 1905 in 4mm scale. Any suggestions?

Revell used to make a series called 'Old timers' back in the 60's that were about 1/43. Problem is if you can find one they'd probably be expensive.

I wouldn't mind a car or other motor vehicle suitable for 1905 in 4mm scale. Any suggestions?

There aren't many! Two current kits I know of: Springside RV50 1902 Ariol and Scale Link SLC123 1904 De Dion Boulton tourer. If you push things Scale Link also do a 1906 6hp Rover tourer.

Harbutt's (of Plasticene fame) made a series of plastic kits called 'RepLicars' in the late 1960s which included some early types but the scales varied. It is possible that some of those may have been close to 4mm scale, though some of the larger cars were probably nearer 3mm scale.The pre-1905 models were: 1899 Renault, 1901 Oldsmobile curved dash, 1904 Mercedes Simplex and 1905 Vauxhall Hanson (taxi cab). Of all of them, the 1899 Renault is most likely to be closest to 4mm scale (I'm not 100% sure, but I might have some/most of the parts of one of these - if I have I'll try to investigate the prototype and see if we can get some dimensions). They were also used as promotional models by Jet Petroleum.

Archived