Hi Martyn,

Still watching with interest!

So far I've built 9 303 units and still have another 3 to go.

Much like yourself - I found the curved windscreens a challenge.

In the end mine came from a pack of Tesco pate packaging.

Thanks

Hi Phil, thanks for the pate tip, if only I liked the stuff! Although I do seem to use epoxy resin at a rate of knots sometimes!

12 class 303's must be a labour of love.....

Atb,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

Has anyone tried altering the window apertures to fit the Replica glazing?  I'd love to build one of these, didnt realise the windows were too deep and now I cant unsee it!!!

Rode on these units from the early 80's up until their demise

Cracking job being made here!

Has anyone tried altering the window apertures to fit the Replica glazing? I'd love to build one of these, didnt realise the windows were too deep and now I cant unsee it!!!

Thanks, I do have some Replica glazing, although I decided against using it. I will have a look to see what the fit would be like tonight or tomorrow, if no one else pops up with a photo/info; a spare DCK body panel to cut the top lights out of it would have been handy....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil, thanks for the pate tip, if only I liked the stuff! Although I do seem to use epoxy resin at a rate of knots sometimes!

12 class 303's must be a labour of love.....

Atb,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

The year after Charlie introduced the kit I did 3 at one go.

It's been nearly 1 per year since.

I say nearly because I have some that are part finished as I was waiting for the etch to become available again - still waiting!

Anyway, other methods of doing the interior?

I photocopied the etch and printed it onto card to see how it worked out, then gave up on doing it that way.

Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone tried altering the window apertures to fit the Replica glazing?  I'd love to build one of these, didnt realise the windows were too deep and now I cant unsee it!!!

Hi nameless....

Yes - Replica glazing has been used by one of the Scottish DEMU members.

He since sold the model on, but I can give him a nudge to see if he can describe the how etc.

I have some to try but have enough of Charlies glazing to do the remaining 3 models I need to do.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

The year after Charlie introduced the kit I did 3 at one go.

It's been nearly 1 per year since.

I say nearly because I have some that are part finished as I was waiting for the etch to become available again - still waiting!

Anyway, other methods of doing the interior?

I photocopied the etch and printed it onto card to see how it worked out, then gave up on doing it that way.

Thanks

What is on the etch you refer to, Phil? Just the interior? And I'm curious about the DCK glazing you mention, is this specifically moulded to fit their windows?

For my interior I have a couple of Replica long Suburban Mk.1 interiors which, although basic, have the original 303 style 3+2 seating; needless to say much cutting will be needed to get some resemblance of the 303 layout though.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

What is on the etch you refer to, Phil? Just the interior? And I'm curious about the DCK glazing you mention, is this specifically moulded to fit their windows?

For my interior I have a couple of Replica long Suburban Mk.1 interiors which, although basic, have the original 303 style 3+2 seating; needless to say much cutting will be needed to get some resemblance of the 303 layout though.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

You are correct - it is the interior etch that also contains etched underframe boxes.

DCK glazing - a long time ago Charlie was selling glazing sheets - plain, not moulded.

Replica bits - Yes, you can do the interior this way. The Replica seats as a better representation than the DCK ones.

You are also correct - there is a lot of cut and shuffle to achieve it.

See if you can find Backwaters Scotland 303 stuff in the archive - I thought I had a link but it goes to a 'Page not Found' result.

Thanks

Hi Martyn,

You are correct - it is the interior etch that also contains etched underframe boxes.

DCK glazing - a long time ago Charlie was selling glazing sheets - plain, not moulded.

Replica bits - Yes, you can do the interior this way. The Replica seats as a better representation than the DCK ones.

You are also correct - there is a lot of cut and shuffle to achieve it.

See if you can find Backwaters Scotland 303 stuff in the archive - I thought I had a link but it goes to a 'Page not Found' result.

Thanks

Very informative thanks! Etched battery boxes etc would be a great boon I have to say.

As far as the interior goes I'm not going to get too pedantic, for instance I doubt I will bother with the longitudinal seating either side of the entrance doors as they will be almost impossible to see. The Replica powered chassis will probably just have a plain, thin card cover (painted matt black) made to hide the gubbins therein. The dilemma this leaves is whether to paint the Driving car seating in correct(ish) colours or just a dark overall colour, as this may highlight the absence of seats in the powered centre car....

Cheers.

Regarding tail loads only ever happened once that I know of. 303048 which was restored hauled the driving trailer from 303063 from Sheilds road depot to yoker depot. The driving trailer was being used to store spare parts for 303048.The plan was the coach would end up in the Glasgow museum of transport. They ended up not bothering.

Little known fact and not seen any photos of this when the 303s were taken out of service due to transformer problems in 1960,they went to East Didsbury in Manchester for modifications. While there they were formed into 4 car sets with 2 motor coaches for test runs. One pantograph would be raised it would do a test run that pantograph would be dropped,the other one raised and a second run done. Apparently on the run back to the works sometimes they would put both pantographs up, the acceleration was incredible according to the engineer who told me about it.

Regarding tail loads only ever happened once that I know of. 303048 which was restored hauled the driving trailer from 303063 from Sheilds road depot to yoker depot. The driving trailer was being used to store spare parts for 303048.The plan was the coach would end up in the Glasgow museum of transport. They ended up not bothering.

Little known fact and not seen any photos of this when the 303s were taken out of service due to transformer problems in 1960,they went to East Didsbury in Manchester for modifications. While there they were formed into 4 car sets with 2 motor coaches for test runs. One pantograph would be raised it would do a test run that pantograph would be dropped,the other one raised and a second run done. Apparently on the run back to the works sometimes they would put both pantographs up, the acceleration was incredible according to the engineer who told me about it.

There should be a "wow" button! Thanks for the info Darrel, very interesting, what a shame that the 303 Driving Trailer from 063 wasn't saved for the museum.

Thanks,

Martyn.

It was mentioned on here a while back that several AM3s visited Reddish in the 1960s, for what reason I don't know but some/all of the visitors received depot repaints and the shade of 'Caledonian Blue' was whatever they were able to mix on site!

Think it was Charlie P who was on about that, gawd knows what thread though.

Prototype For Everything springs to mind.

Has anyone tried altering the window apertures to fit the Replica glazing? I'd love to build one of these, didnt realise the windows were too deep and now I cant unsee it!!!

I managed to dig out my Replica Mk.1 glazing and try it against the 303 windows; they will fit pretty much perfectly into the apperture if the toplight frames are cut away as long as each piece of glazing is trimmed carefully around each window to fit the recess inside the body. The fine window bars would need careful painting of course and there will be a little prism effect as usual with this style of glazing as can be seen so its horses for courses; I'm leaving the windows as they come.post-28743-0-22395600-1538491379_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-76096100-1538491418_thumb.jpg
  • Like 4

Guest teacupteacup

I managed to dig out my Replica Mk.1 glazing and try it against the 303 windows; they will fit pretty much perfectly into the apperture if the toplight frames are cut away as long as each piece of glazing is trimmed carefully around each window to fit the recess inside the body. The fine window bars would need careful painting of course and there will be a little prism effect as usual with this style of glazing as can be seen so its horses for courses; I'm leaving the windows as they come.attachicon.gifIMG_20181002_152829_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20181002_153049_1.jpg

Many thanks Martyn, this might just have persuded me to get a kit now!

The bars might look a bit better with very fine tape rather than paint, will be easier to get a sharp edge without feathering. The replica glazing will also fit in mjt etched windows, but needs a bit of trimming.

• 2 weeks later...

After a break for Wigan show I have returned to the 303.

Cab glazing V.2

The original was too pliable and dislodged too easily, and the corner radius was not quite right. The new version was cut from the packaging of a new mobile phone case, being thicker and a more suitable radius, yet being able to be cut with scissors. This time I reverted to the old faithful PVA to secure the glazing in situ. Just a few small glue marks to remove, then onto the sides.

post-28743-0-12799700-1539806668_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-04715800-1539806795_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-78887100-1539806847_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Wow that looks spot on!! Good job!

Excellent windows, looks like they are a pefect fit.

Great modelling all round!

Thanks both, the thicker glazing was actually easier to trim than the thin stuff which tended to deform during cutting and if it was slightly tight in the window aperture.

Thanks for all the kind words folks.

Today I realised I am right out of clear plastic sheet for doing the side windows, so I have made a start on the DTS seating units by chopping up the Replica Mk.1 Suburban SO seating units. Cabs will probably have surplus Lima 117 Drivers consoles fitted. Photos of progress tomorrow hopefully...

Interiors are progressing, the first vehicle has had the Replica seats cut as required and fitted onto a base of black plasticard using epoxy resin, with the second set of parts almost ready to be glued in place. The single rows of seats for the front saloon were spare back to back seats carefully cut in half. Partitions for the cab and either side of the entrance doors remain to be added before some low key painting is applied.

post-28743-0-00728700-1540142272_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-80040800-1540142298_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-28944800-1540142316_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Martyn - Looking great! Are you going to paint on the distinctive lined fabric or is that a step to far, I have seen it done.

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks, but no I'm quite happy to leave that to others! :yes:

In this case I don't want the interiors to stand out due to the powered car not having one, unless I can create a cunning subterfuge (Not looking too hopeful at the present)...... :jester:

• Like 1