Hi Andy, I think Kelly may have been referring to post 451 above (top of this page).

Edit: I have not heard anything regarding this, but we can hope.... I don't think the DC Kits website has been updated; I strongly suggest anyone wanting to check availability drop Charlie a line to check if the item is available.

There has been some updates on the DCKits website. If you look at the 25Kv unit kits pages, it says some of them are to be available as body only kits. The same applies on the southern units pages, but with the qualifier 'when time allows'.

There has been some updates on the DCKits website. If you look at the 25Kv unit kits pages, it says some of them are to be available as body only kits. The same applies on the southern units pages, but with the qualifier 'when time allows'.

Thanks for the correction Kelly, I'd not spotted that.

Martyn.

That looks good Martyn, wonder how difficult it would be to have working doors!  Mind you there used to be a standing joke involving 303s and members a certain religious group renowned for home calls, the difference being that you it was easier to shut the door on the religious group than a 303!!

Jim

I have been looking at a few pantographs. The 4 Michael/Judith Edge kits are all either double or cross arm types according to their list: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

There is a useful Pantograph thread within this parish too: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51003-pantographs/

I am aware HO scale pantographs are considered too small and incorrect by many modellers; they are however generally robust. Having looked again at the various photos linked earlier, the one I am currently considering comes from Marklin of all places: https://www.petersspares.com/marklin-7219-single-arm-pantograph-ho-gauge.ir

This (correctly for a 303) has the 'stay bar' parallel and inside the arm (most have it outside) and looks sufficient for my needs, even if not 100% accurate. The base would be modified to match the prototype though.

Thoughts anyone? I have yet to go through all the (expensive) HO Sommerfeldt options, but options are welcome if you know of any suitable candidates.....

Martyn.

Edit: another thought which occurred is the Bachmann class 85 pantograph, if one could be obtained, though I think this is different to the 303 type too...

Edited by Signaller69

That looks good Martyn, wonder how difficult it would be to have working doors!  Mind you there used to be a standing joke involving 303s and members a certain religious group renowned for home calls, the difference being that you it was easier to shut the door on the religious group than a 303!!

Jim

Probably one of the easier models for working doors projects as they have a large step at the bottom so (in model terms) they could be kept clear of the chassis. 2 sliding bars along the chassis, worked by a cam in opposite directions each linked to either right or left doors as appropriate. Happy to leave that idea for the DCC users to expand on, you're welcome! :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

a possible from Sommerfeldt: https://www.sommerfeldt.de/de/H0-Einholmstromabn--SNCF.html

there are quite a few others but like you say, not many have the control arm thingy 'inside' like the BR ones.

I'd often wondered if there were any prototype pans which were slightly larger than normal - so an H0 model of these would work out approx. correct for OO/4mm?

I know it's a niche product, but I don't see why UK RTR has found it so difficult to provide a realistic, let alone working, pantograph when the continental makers have had them since the '70s. There were even working diamond/SF ones in the Lima UK range in the '80s! Maybe not 100% prototypical but better than a wonky bit of plastic

I would be interested in getting some etched window frames done for the class 303, both the original type and the later hopper style, I do think the windows are too deep on the model though, so I would need to get someone who could measure the size of the real windows.

• Like 1

I would be interested in getting some etched window frames done for the class 303, both the original type and the later hopper style, I do think the windows are too deep on the model though, so I would need to get someone who could measure the size of the real windows.

Excellent idea and one that would really help with the DCK 303 (which has standard Mk.1 size windows it seems); perhaps the frames could be designed to just fit over the opening as the frame will make the window look smaller? I suggest you drop "Darrel" of this parish a line, he is involved with the preserved Class 311 (his photo link is also mentioned a few posts back), a very helpful guy.

I note from photos that the sliding doors appear deeper/ less of a recess at the bottom, on the refurbished units, something to bear in mind possibly? And also the outwardly similar 311's had a bodyside vent grille alongside the brake compartment doors - not sure if fitted from new but noted on some blue/grey units onwards in photos, so worth checking specific units.

If you go ahead and make them available (orig condition) drop me a line, I may be interested..... :-)

Edited by Signaller69

just found Hurst models (scroll down to bottom of page): http://www.hurstmodels.com/4/4mm_locos.htm

link to pic of their SF pan: http://www.hurstmodels.com/4/Faively%20Panto.JPG

(apologies if this was already in one of the linked threads)

Thanks Keefer, the Hurst SF looks very good, reasonable price too, another on the shortlist! I think the Marklin pan heads are a little overscale for use with their setrack compatible catenary system but how close to 4mm scale I'm not sure.

A very quick experiment using the class 507-315 emu window frames that I sell on Ebay.

They look very nicely etched, thanks for sharing. I've no idea on 507 window sizing but my feeling (if that is a 303 they are being tested on) is that the DCK windows actually look almost bang on for width - comparing with the window pillers in photos - but just too deep by 1mm or so, making them look too square rather than more rectangular. Borrowing one of Jim's (Luckymucklebackit) photos again, seen earlier, shows this:

post-28743-0-36700800-1534958323.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Excellent idea and one that would really help with the DCK 303 (which has standard Mk.1 size windows it seems); 

I have considered getting one of these DCK 303s for years - a favourite class of mine - but you seem to be saying that the windows are the wrong size. To me that makes it a total lame duck, and is a deal breaker. Or have I misunderstood? 

• RMweb Premium

Lovely job so far.  How are you going to do the curved windscreens?

Hi Doc

I have had to consider the same thing for my Trans-pennine , Swindon 4 car inter-city and AM9 units.

Solution Poundland......many items in Poundland have vacformed clear plastic packaging. Find something with a suitable radius on the corner, it doesn't matter what the thing inside is for a pound you have your curved windscreen. In fact quite a few so if you cock up cutting one to size you have not wasted much money.

Better still if you buy something you want and the packaging is suitable, why give it to the recycling man.

Also good for curved windies on lorries and buses.

• Like 1

I have considered getting one of these DCK 303s for years - a favourite class of mine - but you seem to be saying that the windows are the wrong size. To me that makes it a total lame duck, and is a deal breaker. Or have I misunderstood?

My view is that the windows are the correct width but just a little too deep; also they do not have window framing (albeit quite fine) around the sides which they ideally should have. I have not measured the real thing so am relying on good side-on photos (see post 461 on the previous page which has real and model photos for comparison). They don't otherwise stand out to me as being too deep when viewed in isolation, and others might disagree with what is purely my perception.

I personally wouldn't look at it as a deal breaker in any case; my trains run on incorrect OO track which is much more inaccurate! But equally these kits have not been the easiest to get hold of lately, although hopefully that situation is starting to improve.

I believe others have used Replica Mk.1 flush glazing in their models which I expect would provide better, finer looking windows if you have the skills & patience to paint and fit them neatly, but for my models I am happy enough to stick with the originals; if correct sized etched frames become available then I might well "upgrade" to using them.

Martyn.

Lovely job so far.  How are you going to do the curved windscreens?

Thanks, I was thinking exactly along the lines Clive mentions above, first port of call for testing though will be the clear front of a pack of Wills walling, its all about the curved edge being as close a radius as possible to matching the cab corner.

The BDTSO has now also had underframe detail fitted using a combination of Replica bits, plasticard and "bits box" parts. Although the plasticard boxes look a little plain in the photos, they have at least had basic detail scribed in place.

post-28743-0-31761800-1535132613_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-51664400-1535132632_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-77642500-1535132649_thumb.jpg

This just leaves the DTSO which has the least equipment of the 3 vehicles so should be straightforward enough.

• Like 8

Excellent idea and one that would really help with the DCK 303 (which has standard Mk.1 size windows it seems); perhaps the frames could be designed to just fit over the opening as the frame will make the window look smaller? I suggest you drop "Darrel" of this parish a line, he is involved with the preserved Class 311 (his photo link is also mentioned a few posts back), a very helpful guy.

I note from photos that the sliding doors appear deeper/ less of a recess at the bottom, on the refurbished units, something to bear in mind possibly? And also some (maybe all) later had a bodyside vent grille alongside the brake compartment doors - noted on some blue/grey units onwards in photos.

If you go ahead and make them available (orig condition) drop me a line, I may be interested..... :-)

Hi Martyn - the bodyside grille that you mention distinguishes the class 311 from the 303.  (units originally numbered 092 - 110).  The 311s had their traction motors upgraded from 207hp to 222hp to cope with the gradients on the Weymss Bay branch, these traction motors were air-cooled from the two ducts on each side of the unit positioned well above rail level to prevent ingress of brake dust to the motors.

Jim

Hi Martyn - the bodyside grille that you mention distinguishes the class 311 from the 303. (units originally numbered 092 - 110). The 311s had their traction motors upgraded from 207hp to 222hp to cope with the gradients on the Weymss Bay branch, these traction motors were air-cooled from the two ducts on each side of the unit positioned well above rail level to prevent ingress of brake dust to the motors.

Jim

Really, thanks Jim, I clearly wasn't paying attention to all the lovely images, will modify that post forthwith!

Really, thanks Jim, I clearly wasn't paying attention to all the lovely images, will modify that post forthwith!

I grew up with these units, I remember as a wee boy seeing them on test, I watched them from the back window of my family home from 1965 to 1981 and copped the lot, I remember trying to get unit 106, which was my last to complete, seemed to take me ages sitting at the end of platform 11A at Central before I saw it.  I was also on the last run from Bellgrove to Helensburgh!

This was the view from my bedroom window.

post-188-0-88836300-1535221789.jpg

Must re-scan than one as a bigger view.

Jim

• Like 8

Just looking through my 1971 Ian Allen Combined Volume which of course lists the 303/311 classes as AM3/1, AM3/2, AM3/3 and AM11. All come under this group heading as unit no's 001 to 110 (with 092 to 110 being the AM11 / class 311's).

The AM3/2 consists solely of unit 035 noted as having "Dean Door gear & Thyristor control".

AM3/3 was unit 071 which was "equiped with silicon rectifiers".

All the other (303) units being classed AM3/1.

I'm puzzled that, as with the BR Diagram books there appears no distinction between the Driving Trailer Open Second vehicles - as one in each set appears to be a Battery Driving Trailer Open Second with a lot more underframe gubbins (from observation, the vehicle furthest from the pantograph), the batteries presumably being for lighting when stabled etc.

The book also has a good period photo of plain BR blue (with full yellow warning panel) unit 088 on a Balloch working.