Both interiors pretty much done now apart from painting. Referring again to Darrel's excellent photos of an unrefurbished interior, it is apparent that they were very open and airy with only low key partitions by the entrance doors; the only doored partitions being the cab and the saloon at the rear of each vehicle. I had some Lima 117 partitions spare so these were pressed into use. I also decided to add the extra seats adjacent to the entrance doors where possible; due to the Replica seat spacing these are slightly undersized, and absent altogether in the end saloons. It's not a 100% exact replica but I'm happy with it. post-28743-0-91107900-1540224055_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-39180000-1540224126_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-55486500-1540224347_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Both interiors pretty much done now apart from painting. Referring again to Darrel's excellent photos of an unrefurbished interior, it is apparent that they were very open and airy with only low key partitions by the entrance doors; the only doored partitions being the cab and the saloon at the rear of each vehicle. I had some Lima 117 partitions spare so these were pressed into use. I also decided to add the extra seats adjacent to the entrance doors where possible; due to the Replica seat spacing these are slightly undersized, and absent altogether in the end saloons. It's not a 100% exact replica but I'm happy with it. attachicon.gif20181022_164735.jpgattachicon.gif20181022_164744.jpgattachicon.gif20181022_164754.jpg

Hi Martyn,

It is good to know that I am not the only one that has crazy cut and shut seating inside the units I have built !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

It is good to know that I am not the only one that has crazy cut and shut seating inside the units I have built !

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo, carving up the Replica seating was thankfully more straightforward than the Trix seating I used in my Class 126 project!

Cheers,

Martyn.

One of local interest for you, How about a 303 unit at bagilltbagillt303emu.jpg

(I’ve been reliably informed in the past it’s not actually a 303 but something very similar!)

Some further info has coincidentally come to light today on (what I suspect is) this movement, courtesy of Alan Roberts on the North Wales Railways FB page: https://m.facebook.com/groups/554505437940229?view=permalink&id=2025837640806994

In a nutshell, 47971 hauled 303049/066 as 5T35 to Llandudno Junction for storage on 09/09/90. On 16/09/90 31463 hauled 303066 'Up' (I suspect this is the photographed combination - destination possibly Crewe or Derby), with 31970 & 303049 following on 05/11/90 noted as 6X86 to Derby.

No photos, but I'm happy to report that Class 303 glazing is in progress after I found what I thought was a sheet of white plasticard, which turned out to be clear with a peel-off protective white polythene backing. The MBS has been treated thus far. Will update once the DTS vehicles have been so treated. Will be glad to get this completed as projects seem to be building up! :yes:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like it.

But aren't close ups cruel!

Looks good at normal distances.

But like me the close ups show every blemish you cannot see when running them!

But the normal distance ones, it looks good.

I like it.

But aren't close ups cruel!

Looks good at normal distances.

But like me the close ups show every blemish you cannot see when running them!

But the normal distance ones, it looks good.

Thanks Martin, if it looks passable at normal distances and runs well then I am happy!

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Martin, if it looks passable at normal distances and runs well then I am happy!

Martyn.

Fully agree, some of mine look ropy in pictures but at two feet fine, little things like an imperfection in paint, a bit of dust, a slightly rough window, slightly missaligned transfers, transfer films.

I don't think the automotive etched primers help so next vehicle will try brass etch primer as very smooth

Fully agree, some of mine look ropy in pictures but at two feet fine, little things like an imperfection in paint, a bit of dust, a slightly rough window, slightly missaligned transfers, transfer films.

I don't think the automotive etched primers help so next vehicle will try brass etch primer as very smooth

I don't think the lighting helped when I took the photos as it made the glazing look more like old Lima coaches due to the shadows, whereas the actual semi-flush appearance is much less noticeable in this respect. Still there is zero prism effect which is a plus for me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well she looks like a 303 to me , and I spent many a year travelling on them. You have caught the front end look spot on . Superb modelling. What with your 126 unit I’m deeply envious. The trains of my boyhood . 1970s Paisley Gilmour St

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the lighting helped when I took the photos as it made the glazing look more like old Lima coaches due to the shadows, whereas the actual semi-flush appearance is much less noticeable in this respect. Still there is zero prism effect which is a plus for me.

I noticed that too, nearly flush but deep shadows. Yet under the running number perfect.

I hate photoing my own models sometimes.

Edited by MJI
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do need to get going with modelling as I want a few WCML things, got 2 locos, 7 coaches, and on existing set went from Peak to 86 at New Street. But a couple of EMUs would be great.

But  it would simply be a shelf with Catenary, Lima 87 and Joueff 3As

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments all.

The 303 will certainly appear with the 126 at some point, might be a little while yet though.

I wonder, were any other Electric units or locos tested around Glasgow area pre WCML electrification reaching there in the mid 70s?

If you trawl the internet enough, you will find photographs of class 84s on test (at Singer I believe),  Prototype PEP unit 920001 ran in the area in 1976.  Eastern Region "Tilbury" units 205,250,258 and 261 were sent north to be used for driver training in July 1959 and these were used on Milngavie branch until January 1960.  There are a few photographs in books showing these units on the branch and at Hyndland.  There was some driver training on AC electric locomotives between Glasgow and Weymss Bay before the full WCML electrification in 74.  Cant think of any others

Jim

If you trawl the internet enough, you will find photographs of class 84s on test (at Singer I believe), Prototype PEP unit 920001 ran in the area in 1976. Eastern Region "Tilbury" units 205,250,258 and 261 were sent north to be used for driver training in July 1959 and these were used on Milngavie branch until January 1960. There are a few photographs in books showing these units on the branch and at Hyndland. There was some driver training on AC electric locomotives between Glasgow and Weymss Bay before the full WCML electrification in 74. Cant think of any others

Jim

Thanks Jim, will have a further delve, very intriguing information there, surprised at the variety! :yes: Edited by Signaller69

There was also this loco seen at coatbridge Sunnyside junction (just a few yards away from where the class 311 his now preserved) it was i believe being used as a mobile load test bank.

The photos puzzle me at one end there is a buffer stop at the other end there is no track.....

post-5114-0-45256600-1541518076_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-22643900-1541518093_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

There was also this loco seen at coatbridge Sunnyside junction (just a few yards away from where the class 311 his now preserved) it was i believe being used as a mobile load test bank.

The photos puzzle me at one end there is a buffer stop at the other end there is no track.....

Excellent find Darrel, most unusual!

Any idea of the year?

Thanks,

Martyn.