11 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Its hard to know how seriously to take the project. Latest post is seeking suggestions for more environmentally friendly power ideas (which seems reasonable), or whether to make it battery powered. Hard to see this one getting off the drawing board I think.

Oh 100% agree with you there Martin, the only diesel projects i can see getting to the rails are the baby deltic and 10000, both using donor locos and easily sourced parts, but thats not to take away the skill of the engineers working on them. A new build along the 29/22 lines will require some major backing which i dont see forthcoming without one or two very wealthy investors.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

At least one of them should have been saved, even just a shell.

I think at the time the reason one wasn't saved was that there were still steam locos in need of saving so all fundraising was directed in that direction? Could be wrong though.

Would it be controversial to say I wish one class 29 had been saved instead of another steam loco, where there are several of the same class preserved (eg Black 5 etc)?

Probably....

• Agree 6

16 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

I think at the time the reason one wasn't saved was that there were still steam locos in need of saving so all fundraising was directed in that direction? Could be wrong though.

Would it be controversial to say I wish one class 29 had been saved instead of another steam loco, where there are several of the same class preserved (eg Black 5 etc)?

Probably....

Yeah it was the reason im sure, diesel preservation was very much in its infancy, but imagine having a D600 warship around today, even just a shell. Imagine a group these days finding some engines and getting it up and running now, could have been fantastic. 

NBL diesel or save another West Country or GWR tank? I know what id have gone for..

• Agree 1

Back in the early '70's I was a member of the Diesel & Electric Preservation Group, not sure if that was precisely the name but close. As a schoolboy I wasn't much use as a member as I didn't have any money, but at least it showed solidarity!

They were almost universally laughed at/ scorned/ derided - why would anyone want to preserve a Diseasel?

Railway societies of the time were also pretty dismissive. I used to go to the RCTS in Preston (Lancs.) at the same time. It met on Preston station on Friday evenings. Working at the time were 25's and 40's and also 50's, double headed on the main Anglo Scottish WCML services. Were these guys interested - nope! For them the world ended in August 1968, and the talks were invariably steam slide shows with material prior to that date.

If I sound annoyed about this it's because I still am. Many young people were lost to the hobby at the time, because of the fanatical bias of the railway enthusiast establishment against anything that wasn't steam. It really took the albums published by OPC of Gavin Morrison and John Whiteley, who I've since had the pleasure of meeting, to establish diesels on the map as legit. I might say that I met Gavin Morrison again a few months ago, still out with his camera at Horbury Cutting near Wakefield, waiting for the Preston - Lindsey tanks! A real gent, we owe him, John Whiteley, and a few others a great deal.

Sadly though, too late for the NB diesels.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2020 at 19:59, Signaller69 said:

Probably....

The seem to be several different accounts of why the 21 wasn't saved and I'm not sure if any of them are true, but the one I remember reading was that the 21 was reserved but when they went to look at it, it had already been cut up (in error)

• Informative/Useful 1

On 25/03/2020 at 07:26, keefer said:

The seem to be several different accounts of why the 21 wasn't saved and I'm not sure if any of them are true, but the one I remember reading was that the 21 was reserved but when they went to look at it, it had already been cut up (in error)

Wouldnt surprise me, sounds a lot like the 22 story that was reserved but cut so they got a Warship instead, between us on here surely we could try make a time machine?!

Cheers

James

• Funny 1

My recent modelling has been researching and building the Clyde Puffer "Auld Reekie", by modifying a Peedie Models resin kit; this is now in the process of being painted prior to adding further details; being specific to my "Crinan" layout and not Railway related as such I have put details on that thread, but here is a photo of progress so far:

20200401_145434.jpg.4806199459edae0f163c331ce69b1c76.jpg

In order to do something more rail themed I have decided to make a start on the Plasser & Theurer 06-32 Duomatic Tamper I mentioned a while back. It needs to fit a commercial power unit (see below) and I have still not found Scale plans so it won't be a 100% dead scale model. However I am trying to be as scientific as possible, in this respect a good photo I have shows the vehicle to be roughly 15 sleeper spacings long - measuring a piece of Peco Bullhead track gives it an overall measurement of around 14-15cm in 4mm Scale for my purposes.

The power unit from a Bachmann Spectrum HO Scale 4w Maintenance of Way vehicle will be used, this should just unclip from the underframe as a compact drop-out self contained unit:

20200402_193334.jpg.d819e09f9b490a93b7743b73b09f9d4f.jpg20200402_193353.jpg.e9e9136d1a2fb4643fa571eca59254a0.jpg

This has a wheelbase of 51.5mm, approx 8mm diameter wheels which will help keep the drive low and yes, an actual cardan shaft drive!

I found some useful photos on Paul Bartlett's site, as well as these online:

http://www.bdf008.privat.t-online.de/_plasser/stvkr06/stvkr06.htm 

Which although based in Germany and with minor detail variations, helpfully shows both ends of the type I am aiming to model, in a very clean (preserved) condition, and with people nearby to help gauge the height etc.

So I have now drawn up a basic "scaled" sideview from looking at photos and taking the power unit dimensions into account.

20200402_193432.jpg.98d91d1963b0800c7591f1f2409e4481.jpg

These things were noticeably lower than something like a Mk.1 coach; I reckon about 10ft max above rail height, although as drawn it comes in at 44mm (11ft) so a little further refining of the plan may be required yet, I suspect I have drawn the bodyside a fraction too deep (note the photo above has distorted the appearance of the drawing somewhat).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

20200402_193432.jpg.98d91d1963b0800c7591f1f2409e4481.jpg

Hi Martyn,

I'm looking forward to this build, it is always good to see something different that is unusual.

Here is my an N gauge tamper I built for a friend, a slightly more modern type though.

DSCF0608.JPG.e87736d566fa0d7620b5fdc6f2ffc08f.JPG

Gibbo.

• Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

I'm looking forward to this build, it is always good to see something different that is unusual.

Here is my an N gauge tamper I built for a friend, a slightly more modern type though.

DSCF0608.JPG.e87736d566fa0d7620b5fdc6f2ffc08f.JPG

Gibbo.

That is super Gibbo, if my effort turns out anything like as well, I will be happy!

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

Nothing thrilling but it's a start. The "front" end running plate has been cut and fitted with 2 pieces of Plastruct I beam to represent the channel fitted to the prototype. The long bonnet and crew compartment will sit on this, and the method employed, of cutting it to fit around the power unit, keeps it nice and low. The rest of the body will be assembled around this. The Bachmann power unit is designed to clip into it's intended body using 4 tiny moulded pips, 2 on each end, so some small channel cross members or plasticard drilled with matching rebates will be used to hopefully mate with these, failing which there is plenty of room to drill through for screws into cross members inside the body. 

20200403_142317.jpg.5c7265339c4398b0e7fcc8ec579affc3.jpg20200403_142330.jpg.043364882fc0d267ddebfc83ddc11ed7.jpg

The rear end beyond the crew compartment in terms of bodywork is much narrower, with all the working parts supported on 2 frames, one each side, with equipment both inside and outside the frames. Baring in mind that the outside working parts are directly above the Rails, this will dictate the width in this area, and in turn means an absolute scale model for OO gauge is impossible even if scale plans were found. I'm not ready for P4 just yet, so compromise will be required again!

• Like 6

On 26/03/2020 at 22:13, jessy1692 said:

Wouldnt surprise me, sounds a lot like the 22 story that was reserved but cut so they got a Warship instead, between us on here surely we could try make a time machine?!

Cheers

James

At least one class 22 Diesel Engine was saved, it is at Bo'ness

Jim

• Like 2

The Tamper crew compartment is under way; the curved and angled front posed a problem but cutting quarter sections of Evergreen tubing has solved this. Windows will need to be drilled and filed into these and the tall drivers window panel will fill the gap in the middle. A false floor fitted into the shell sits on top of the power unit. Blanks for the engine compartment sides have been cut but I need to obtain some Evergreen Quarter Round 2mm strip for the front and top edges to continue with it.

Its starting to look like more like something from an episode of Buster Crabbe era "Flash Gordon" than a tamper at the moment:

20200404_002223.jpg.df6ea99c1282fd2eff05c2acd7aefaad.jpg20200404_002321.jpg.affb4edd090823cecc8119984e9c8dc8.jpg

I was sure I had an old Airfix Railbus roof which would be ideal as a starting point for this, but can I find it?:dontknow:

Next up will, I think, be to sort the rear of the crew compartment and the rear frames which carry the tamping equipment, which will also box in the rear of the power unit.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, ISW said:

Martyn,

There is a small drawing of an 06-16 & 06-32 SLC at https://www.jernbaneklub.dk/jernbaneartikler/jernbanen/artikler/69-7-8-arbejdskoretojer.asp

Hi Ian, thanks for that, I had seen this sequence of drawings some while ago; it shows the earliest type which is similar to the HO model made some years ago by Roskopf, with the longer crew compartment instead of separate bonnet and which was not a "Duomatic" type as far as I know. The version I am doing is 2 or 3 sleepers longer in unscientific measurements, probably to allow for the extra equipment.  

Cheers,

Martyn.

1 hour ago, Merfyn Jones said:

Anything in the Barrowmore drawing collection Martyn ?

Hi Merfyn, hope all well with you and the Colwyn Members.

No, I think I've looked through all the relevant diagram books and not seen anything (possibly they were published after the 06-32's had gone).

I have had a lot of info via Ian (ISW) with useful photos though. These machines did have a centre jack turning mechanism to allow turning 180° in a yard etc, which surprised me, whether BR made use of this facility I have no idea!

16 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Merfyn, hope all well with you and the Colwyn Members.

No, I think I've looked through all the relevant diagram books and not seen anything (possibly they were published after the 06-32's had gone).

I have had a lot of info via Ian (ISW) with useful photos though. These machines did have a centre jack turning mechanism to allow turning 180° in a yard etc, which surprised me, whether BR made use of this facility I have no idea!

Dare you try build in a turning mechanism! That would be quite an entertaining little feature.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Dare you try build in a turning mechanism! That would be quite an entertaining little feature.

Cheers

James

Some sort of mechanism from under the baseboard, which can lift and turn should be possible in theory, provided the centre of gravity was in the right place of course; whether I would want to do it is another question!:dontknow:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1