Back to the Tamper!

Front end detail has been added, built up from bits of plasticard and Plastruct. Hydraulic hoses to be added later as these pass through the also-yet-to-be-fitted grille mesh.

20200420_195114.jpg.f734545c71ea66bbb29bb8ffae81ecd0.jpg

There seems to have been several variations on what equipment was fitted so I based mine on a couple of photos of different UK spec 06-32 machines taken from different angles as going from a single image, it is nigh on impossible to get a 3d picture of the relationship of the various rams, small rollers etc.

The roof has had the windows cut out, although I have spotted some areas needing further tidying. Although they are quite small, the number does make the interior considerably lighter and more visible; the plasticard clip-on cover I made over the motor will be dressed as a control console which although probably not in the least prototypical, will at least look better than a shiny motor! 

20200420_195221.jpg.836b0c198d2bafc09098068a0aac5bb2.jpg

I hope to get the various body & chassis handrails and footsteps fitted tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 14

9 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Back to the Tamper!

Front end detail has been added, built up from bits of plasticard and Plastruct. Hydraulic hoses to be added later as these pass through the also-yet-to-be-fitted grille mesh.

20200420_195114.jpg.f734545c71ea66bbb29bb8ffae81ecd0.jpg

There seems to have been several variations on what equipment was fitted so I based mine on a couple of photos of different UK spec 06-32 machines taken from different angles as going from a single image, it is nigh on impossible to get a 3d picture of the relationship of the various rams, small rollers etc.

The roof has had the windows cut out, although I have spotted some areas needing further tidying. Although they are quite small, the number does make the interior considerably lighter and more visible; the plasticard clip-on cover I made over the motor will be dressed as a control console which although probably not in the least prototypical, will at least look better than a shiny motor! 

20200420_195221.jpg.836b0c198d2bafc09098068a0aac5bb2.jpg

I hope to get the various body & chassis handrails and footsteps fitted tomorrow.

Looking very very good! Top work

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I managed to add the handrails (steel wire) and footsteps (some kit laddering chopped into bits), plus the exhaust pipe (brass rod) next to the Drivers window - this latter seems another area where international variations occurred , some machines having an exhaust either side of the window, but the UK machines I have been referring to so far, generally seem to just have the one.

20200421_213838.jpg.1ec67a556c1e455f79024d00e0578537.jpg

20200421_213910.jpg.9b09b6aa84255d572d9c998e8ed0591e.jpg

There are a few small details left to sort at the front, but otherwise this just leaves the rear end detailing to complete prior to painting.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 13

Ah you have just triggered a memory - I suspect in this period there would have been at least partial 'buy British' policy, so continental machines whold probably have a Merc or Deutz motor, but I think all Plasser's British machines ended up Rolls Royce powerplant?

Jon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonhall said:

Ah you have just triggered a memory - I suspect in this period there would have been at least partial 'buy British' policy, so continental machines whold probably have a Merc or Deutz motor, but I think all Plasser's British machines ended up Rolls Royce powerplant?

Jon

I did wonder about the possibility of different power units Jon so it wouldn't surprise me. I wondered if MAN units might have been a possibility (which connects in a way with the 29 project, being still very much alive and a big name in the marine world it appears).

Working on the detachable measurement trolley which was supported on the back of the 06-32. I wondered if the boxes on top of the stand were for lazer measuring as the Tamper has similar objects which look like receiver boxes under the roof, but this is on a 1969 photo so guessing not - could be lighting possibly. It appears a wire was spooled out between trolley and Tamper to give a longer wheelbase footprint as Ian has mentioned elsewhere. I assume the trolley has small wheels/ rollers but none are visible due to the side covers/ valences which give it more of a sledge appearance. 

20200422_234118.jpg.ef7ac840960b84e44527cc7e478c0946.jpg

On the model the trolley is loose, being held in place by the brass wire support which clips over the rear frames (a handrail on the real thing), mainly for ease of painting later.

20200423_101314.jpg.e2687a6105ced33faace0e7245e4be1a.jpg

More supports need adding, with other small bits of equipment on the base. 

With the trolley fitted the Tamper comes in at 15cm end to end which fits well with my original "number of sleeper spaces long" photo guesstimate of size....

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

The roof has been secured temporarily, it slots in from the front and will have a small screw inserted into a boss under the roof at the rear.

20200425_092601.jpg.be0582418f1e7a727db1a0baf6a2673b.jpg

The external air filter has been added at the front, this uses a Replica coach dynamo with a rivet to represent the dome on the top.

20200424_233702.jpg.b6ff4bb89e850a8bf00d51b945544f40.jpg

I have also been adding some of the plethora of hydraulic hoses using some 26 SWG tinned copper wire which bends easily but holds its shape. These were made up by running 4 short lengths through a piece of small plastic tube, secured with super glue, before cutting the whole thing in half - the plastic tube end was cemented into a hole or inside the body as appropriate with individual strands fixed into small holes drilled where required; there were lots of these hoses trailing all over the mechanical equipment so to hopefully stave off insanity, I am only adding a representative selection!

20200424_212144.jpg.335593fb0e5f6c0ee5c1501b41bd576e.jpg20200424_222432.jpg.0934dfffab7574d22ec5256297b42fb9.jpg20200424_222453.jpg.8fe503bf65679056690e546ed3d62167.jpg

Although slightly different (with extra bodyside window at the rear, different style air filter, modified radiator grille shape etc - no two seem to be the same!), and in a poor state of repair, this Flickr image has proved helpful for the front end equipment, handrails and other bits as well as gauging size and proportions:

Plasser & Theurer 06-32 Duomatic Tamper DR74407 - Peak Rail, Rowsley - 19-04-14

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

Hi Martyn,

I like the way you use bits and bobs for detail parts such as the dynamo air filter and the wagon hand brake wheels for brake discs. I use Ratio LNWR gas lamp vents as the large insulators on the roofs of my AC electric locomotives in a similar way.

I see that you have made the roof removable so that you may paint the interior and fit the glazing after painting the main body.

Gibbo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

I like the way you use bits and bobs for detail parts such as the dynamo air filter and the wagon hand brake wheels for brake discs. I use Ratio LNWR gas lamp vents as the large insulators on the roofs of my AC electric locomotives in a similar way.

I see that you have made the roof removable so that you may paint the interior and fit the glazing after painting the main body.

Gibbo

Thanks Gibbo, not much choice other than to adapt bits and pieces for this project, but I do like to be as thrifty as possible in any case, I admit. I like the idea of the Ratio vents for the insulators, I have some power lines which might benefit from that idea if I can get hold of some.

Yes the roof is removable for just that reason; there is some access from underneath but it's a bit restricted. Also the roof will be sprayed silver so this will be much easier with it off the body.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Railfreight1998 said:

Looks great Martyn.

Might it appear on Dunnington at some point (even though the DVLR was probably never tamped in its life!)

Thanks, it could possibly appear at shows to add a little variety, though as you say, it is doubtful a Tamper would ever have run on the line in reality. Actually it has had a running test on Dunnington already as the power unit was rather dry; after a little lube was added it trundled back and forth quite happily though. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks, it could possibly appear at shows to add a little variety, though as you say, it is doubtful a Tamper would ever have run on the line in reality. Actually it has had a running test on Dunnington already as the power unit was rather dry; after a little lube was added it trundled back and forth quite happily though. 

Now you have made one for me, will you be making a second for yourself? :tomato::tomato::tomato::blackeye:

• Funny 7

12 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Wow, just wow! Looking fantastic. Bit of light weathering after the transfers and thats up there for model of the year already.

Cracking job Martyn

All the best

James

Thanks James, I'm very happy with it so far!

I really need to find more info on what lettering the real things had c.1970, other than the running number. Frustratingly the B&W Dave Larkin photo I am using for the main reference appears to have some very faded lettering along the upper bodyside, logically it is "PLASSER & THEURER" but it's difficult to be certain - 1 of the other 2 similar units in the same book appears to have the same faded wording but helpfully another different type (a VDM800U) also has the same style and that certainly does say "PLASSER & THEURER", though it is hard to say what colour the lettering is - blue or red I think?

7 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks James, I'm very happy with it so far!

I really need to find more info on what lettering the real things had c.1970, other than the running number. Frustratingly the B&W Dave Larkin photo I am using for the main reference appears to have some very faded lettering along the upper bodyside, logically it is "PLASSER & THEURER" but it's difficult to be certain - 1 of the other 2 similar units in the same book appears to have the same faded wording but helpfully another different type (a VDM800U) also has the same style and that certainly does say "PLASSER & THEURER", though it is hard to say what colour the lettering is - blue or red I think?

I bet you are Martyn, looks like one of them projects where things just go 'right' and it all falls into place and comes together, most of mine end up the opposite but some go pretty smoothly!

Id say red and writing on yellow but thats just me going with my gut instinct, like you say each one was different it seems so wouldnt surprise me if a pic with green or purple writing appears. Either way, some bits of lettering and logos will just top this off.

Will be keeping an eye on exhibition listings once things get back to normal, another reason to check out Crinan again, always one of my favourites to watch.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

I bet you are Martyn, looks like one of them projects where things just go 'right' and it all falls into place and comes together, most of mine end up the opposite but some go pretty smoothly!

Id say red and writing on yellow but thats just me going with my gut instinct, like you say each one was different it seems so wouldnt surprise me if a pic with green or purple writing appears. Either way, some bits of lettering and logos will just top this off.

Will be keeping an eye on exhibition listings once things get back to normal, another reason to check out Crinan again, always one of my favourites to watch.

Cheers

James

Cheers James, Crinan was down for Derby show and a couple of more local ones between now and July but all have of course been cancelled. I have a few jobs I want to do but equally, with it being at the Club, it is not a valid reason to travel unfortunately, so they will have to wait.

I know later (in the UK) Plasser & Theurer logos were red on a light blue background but for my timescale there is no sign of any background colour, so I suspect just red lettering on the yellow bodywork as you suggest. More Google time required I think!

Martyn.

2 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Cheers James, Crinan was down for Derby show and a couple of more local ones between now and July but all have of course been cancelled. I have a few jobs I want to do but equally, with it being at the Club, it is not a valid reason to travel unfortunately, so they will have to wait.

I know later (in the UK) Plasser & Theurer logos were red on a light blue background but for my timescale there is no sign of any background colour, so I suspect just red lettering on the yellow bodywork as you suggest. More Google time required I think!

Martyn.

Id have probably gone to the Derby show, seems odd still to not having been at York for the Easter show, cant remember the last timr i missed it, hey ho.

Just been doing a bit of a google myself, ill send a PM may have something useful

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi Martyn,

I'm assuming that you have visited Paul's site and looked at the images he has of the 06-32/

I see you have found the FlickR photo of the preserved one.

Model looks very nice! Almost a shame to weather it.

Phil H

Hi Phil, thanks for the comments, yes I am just off to revisit Paul's incredible site again along with some others. James has sent me a couple of European P&T images showing the wording I was struggling with could well (and logically) be "PLASSER DUOMATIC" in blue, with a red 'heart trace' type squiggle along it (which I doubt I could reproduce!) with the "06-32" in blue again, nearby.

Cheers,

Martyn.

The RCTS site threw this very useful 1969 image up:

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/other/hA87455F4#ha87455f4

Which clearly shows the blue "PLASSER DUOMATIC" lettering, also a large red warning sign by the cab door; again not sure of the wording on the latter, though other photos from this period on a variety of machines show the same sign.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

The RCTS site threw this very useful 1969 image up:

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/other/hA87455F4#ha87455f4

Which clearly shows the blue "PLASSER DUOMATIC" lettering, also a large red warning sign by the cab door; again not sure of the wording on the latter, though other photos from this period on a variety of machines show the same sign.

Hi Martyn

I just looked through that selection of photos, some really nice early DMU shots but the captions, you can tell the RCTS is mainly a steam group, " A DMU at (station name)". Not a "BRCW 3car at xyz" or a "class 104 at xyz."

A nice shot of a class 115 at Hull, now did it get there via Sheffield Exchange from Liverpool?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martyn

I just looked through that selection of photos, some really nice early DMU shots but the captions, you can tell the RCTS is mainly a steam group, " A DMU at (station name)". Not a "BRCW 3car at xyz" or a "class 104 at xyz."

A nice shot of a class 115 at Hull, now did it get there via Sheffield Exchange from Liverpool?

You could well be right Clive, the photo I linked gives the unit number as 06-32, which of course is the type! The actual number might have been useful (the next photo of the adjacent machine does give that number, but it's the wrong sort for me), but hey ho.

Odd you mention the 115 at Hull, I'm sure I have seen another photo recently of a suburban unit in that neck of the woods, on one of the Farce Book DMU sites (unless it was a link to the one you mention). Chance of finding it again........?

Deffo came via Sheffield Exchange I suggest! :yes:

• Like 2