1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

Yet another old Hornby model that scrubs up well, you have made quite a difference to its appearance. Did you fit larger wheels to it, I have done this to my Hornby class 24 conversions and class 25's and it improves the look of them considerably.

Will the data panel have a blue background to it ?

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo, 

Thanks, this is one I originally modified a few years back (in fact it was part of the inspiration to build Crinan) so has a Bachmann 25 chassis, I drew the line at swapping to spoked wheels though. The body has had the usual grille alterations, opened out windscreens, deepened cab nose etc. The data panel on the photo I'm working from doesn't appear to have a blue background, as it had been applied at some time before the FYE (added 1970 due to Union requirements I believe) as far as I can tell. It only ran for just over a year with the FYE's before being withdrawn. 

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
Add to info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As part of the ongoing Class 29 "redux", I thought I would try a new (to me) way of adding the characteristic loose lower bodyside valances, which seemed to afflict these locos. On 6123, the photos I am using only seem to show 1 such panel, (No.1 end, drivers side). I have added plasticard panels on another of my 29's but for this one I just used a fine razor saw to cut the vertical joints into the body, then scored inside the body with the Stanley knife sufficiently until I was able to carefully bend the lower panel outwards with pliers. Plasticweld was then run along the score line. Small access holes were drilled through to match photos. 

20200318_073916.jpg.310c04710857f1413d550a2058356437.jpg

I am pleased with the effect, though it is not hugely noticable due, mainly, to the under defined turn-under of the Hornby bodyshell compared to the prototype, worth the effort though I think. 

Edited by Signaller69
Typos
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

9 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Is it just me that gets ads between posts, rather than the top of the page? They are really annoying and another retrograde step following on from the last "upgrade" on this site I feel.

:wacko:

Hi Martyn,

Not wholly sure that this is the answer, but here is a paragraph lifted from a piece I read not long back:

"The myths of endless capitalistic expansion, the annexed idolatry of the invisible hand of the market, and the very visible promotion of unrestrained consumerism cause many to believe that  consumerism is the son of advertising, it actually isn’t. The explosion of advertising follows from a value system in which man identifies himself with the objects he owns – though, in reality, these objects own him."

Only you know your own state of mind and how he above affects you, my guess is that slight irritation is the worst of it. For my own part I only look at what has value in my life despite thinking that North British diesels were fuq ugly !

Gibbo.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

Not wholly sure that this is the answer, but here is a paragraph lifted from a piece I read not long back:

"The myths of endless capitalistic expansion, the annexed idolatry of the invisible hand of the market, and the very visible promotion of unrestrained consumerism cause many to believe that  consumerism is the son of advertising, it actually isn’t. The explosion of advertising follows from a value system in which man identifies himself with the objects he owns – though, in reality, these objects own him."

Only you know your own state of mind and how he above affects you, my guess is that slight irritation is the worst of it. For my own part I only look at what has value in my life despite thinking that North British diesels were fuq ugly !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

Think I'd need something stronger than coffee to get my head round that one, but I accept the toy trains own me to a degree! And yes the adverts are just a distraction as I have to spend more time scrolling.

But I have noticed Rmweb seems markedly quieter to me of late (particularly since the last big pita format change). Coincidence? Sad to say, posting on Farcebirk specific groups is way easier with no photo limitations, way more reaction and less negative comment than some threads I've seen on RMweb and no ads between posts. Just my opinion of course. I'm not stopping posting on here but it may become less frequent. There is enough irritation going on generally to contend with at the moment.

:(

Thanks for the comments folks.

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Gibbo,

Think I'd need something stronger than coffee to get my head round that one, but I accept the toy trains own me to a degree! And yes the adverts are just a distraction as I have to spend more time scrolling.

But I have noticed Rmweb seems markedly quieter to me of late (particularly since the last big pita format change). Coincidence? Sad to say, posting on Farcebirk specific groups is way easier with no photo limitations, way more reaction and less negative comment than some threads I've seen on RMweb and no ads between posts. Just my opinion of course. I'm not stopping posting on here but it may become less frequent. There is enough irritation going on generally to contend with at the moment.

:(

Thanks for the comments folks.

Martyn.

As long as you keep posting Martyn ill happily scroll through the irritating adverts! Things have been a little quiet on here of late iv noticed too, i know im struggling for time myself and with other bigger things happening in the real world i feel trains have taken a back seat for a lot of people. 

Keep up the good work

James

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

As long as you keep posting Martyn ill happily scroll through the irritating adverts! Things have been a little quiet on here of late iv noticed too, i know im struggling for time myself and with other bigger things happening in the real world i feel trains have taken a back seat for a lot of people. 

Keep up the good work

James

Hi James, thanks for that and I will keep posting so please excuse the foregoing, which was aimed at the past few months rather than since the Covid 19 outbreak of course. Perhaps it was just one advert too many, coupled with the time it takes just to find posts, that irritated me!

Cheers mate,

Martyn.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James, thanks for that and I will keep posting so please excuse the foregoing, which was aimed at the past few months rather than since the Covid 19 outbreak of course. Perhaps it was just one advert too many, coupled with the time it takes just to find posts, that irritated me!

Cheers mate,

Martyn.

No worries, i suppose looking back it has been a bit quiter, but then iv been messing with containers for what seems like a year now so otjer things have passed me by. In dire need of a spell of free time to crack on properly. Hate to say it but Covid 19 may help me out here and stop my other distractions in life, every cloud etc

Cheers

JAmes

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

No worries, i suppose looking back it has been a bit quiter, but then iv been messing with containers for what seems like a year now so otjer things have passed me by. In dire need of a spell of free time to crack on properly. Hate to say it but Covid 19 may help me out here and stop my other distractions in life, every cloud etc

Cheers

JAmes

Yes I think many, if not most of us may be in that situation soon, if not already. I expect modelling will be good therapy for most of us if caught in a situation where we should not leave the house.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Cheers mate,

Martyn.

Martyn,

I'm using the typical ad blocker, so don't get adverts interspersed between postings. However, the side-panel advert (also blocked ...) means that the forum postings now only occupy 75% of the the screen width, which is really annoying, especially if there are images in the posting.

• Agree 5

21 hours ago, Nile said:

You can improve that by adjusting the width of your browser window. At a certain width the ads move to the bottom of the page.

Nile,

Thanks for that.  It did make a difference when I made the window narrower, and the ad (whatever it was) didn't appear at the bottom either (the ad blocker is doing its job ...). Still, while better it is a little self-defeating to make it narrower to remove the space taken up by the ad!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mainlinefreighter58 said:

Can someone explain a bachby hybrid class 29? thankyou :)

2 hours ago, Nile said:

Bachmann chassis and Hornby body, I think.

Nile is correct, a somewhat modified Hornby body on a Bachmann Class 25 chassis. The Hornby bogie side frames were grafted onto the Bachmann bogies. I saw the "Bachby" tag elsewhere so pinched it; it could be "Hornmann" too, of course!

20200321_000020.jpg.94c89687a858379276cf232708b9c5c4.jpg

Very nearly finished now. The "loose" valance shows quite well from this angle. I would like some more prototypical buffers but not aware of any commercial offerings thus far.

Thanks,

Martyn. 

Edited by Signaller69
Add to text.
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Nile is correct, a somewhat modified Hornby body on a Bachmann Class 25 chassis. The Hornby bogie side frames were grafted onto the Bachmann bogies. I saw the "Bachby" tag elsewhere so pinched it; it could be "Hornmann" too, of course!

20200321_000020.jpg.94c89687a858379276cf232708b9c5c4.jpg

Very nearly finished now. The "loose" valance shows quite well from this angle. I would like some more prototypical buffers but not aware of any commercial offerings thus far.

Thanks,

Martyn. 

I assumed it was Bachmann/Hornby but i was asking more what parts were what thankyou so its 25 drivetrain/chassis and Hornby shell/sideframes it looks great thankyou for specifying 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mainlinefreighter58 said:

I assumed it was Bachmann/Hornby but i was asking more what parts were what thankyou so its 25 drivetrain/chassis and Hornby shell/sideframes it looks great thankyou for specifying 

Thanks. In my method, the Bachmann 25 chassis sits in the Hornby 29 underframe; I cut away some plastic along each side to do this as hopefully the photos show, though I know of others who have milled away metal on the Bachmann chassis to achieve the same result (which retains the full rigidity of the plastic underframe). I cut the bufferbeam ends off and glued them to the body instead, but otherwise the Hornby body still clip-fits to the underframe and there is still enough room for the cab interiors to be refitted.

20200321_105246.jpg.bbff021a327c33a62d5d02ad6869cf6b.jpg20200321_105306.jpg.3900ad71aec407c51788b38b3fa3a3b7.jpg

Martyn

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

On the subject of Class 29's, the Group planning to use the bodyshell of 33046 have now ditched the idea.

It's going to be a new build....:o

Well that could be interesting, only chance i could see it getting anywhere would be to link with the chaps trying to build a 22, must be some common bits between the 2...possibly? Either way its very ambitious.

James

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Well that could be interesting, only chance i could see it getting anywhere would be to link with the chaps trying to build a 22, must be some common bits between the 2...possibly? Either way its very ambitious.

James

Its hard to know how seriously to take the project. Latest post is seeking suggestions for more environmentally friendly power ideas (which seems reasonable), or whether to make it battery powered. Hard to see this one getting off the drawing board I think.

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Well that could be interesting, only chance i could see it getting anywhere would be to link with the chaps trying to build a 22, must be some common bits between the 2...possibly?

The main cab castings (which were aluminium) were the same and also used on the early NBL A1A-A1A Warships.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Its hard to know how seriously to take the project. Latest post is seeking suggestions for more environmentally friendly power ideas (which seems reasonable), or whether to make it battery powered. Hard to see this one getting off the drawing board I think.

4 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The main cab castings (which were aluminium) were the same and also used on the early NBL A1A-A1A Warships.

Looks like it would indeed be beneficial to work together if there are any economy of scale savings to be made from designing and ordering 4 parts vs 2 lots of 2 parts?