Never under estimate other people. Most don`t even know what trains they are dealing with. I once picked up a pair of vi trains 37 for £30 notes because they were non runners. The photos gave away the problem.

No DCC blanking chips.

That was a bargain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Never under estimate other people. Most don`t even know what trains they are dealing with. I once picked up a pair of vi trains 37 for £30 notes because they were non runners. The photos gave away the problem.

No DCC blanking chips.

That was a bargain.

Bought a mobile disco twin deck set up years ago for a song, as it didn’t work and needed new speakers. Got it off a bloke in the village. Long time ago (circa 1973) but if my memory is correct it was about £250s worth of gear snapped up for about £50 sight as seen, plus his pub residency on the Sunday night. knew a REME sparky so wasn’t worried. 

Got it home and even I could spot the dropped off wire, it just needed a 5 min fix. When I sold it on again, plus the the speakers and a few other extras, what I got for it was roughly half what I needed for the deposit on my first house.

All a long time ago.

Edited by john new
To make better sense.
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, john new said:

Bought a mobile disco twin deck set up years ago for a song, as it didn’t work and needed new speakers. Got it off a bloke in the village. Long time ago (circa 1973) but if my memory is correct it was about £250s worth of gear snapped up for about £50 sight as seen, plus his pub residency on the Sunday night. knew a REME sparky so wasn’t worried. 

Got it home and even I could spot the dropped off wire, it just needed a 5 min fix. When I sold it on again, plus the the speakers and a few other extras, what I got for it was roughly half what I needed for the deposit on my first house.

All a long time ago.

As an ex REME gun fitter I would be very worried.

When I was at 47 Fld Regt RA our sparky would get a group of gunners to help bump start "his" generator mounted on a trailer. They would be pushing this thing back and forth across the parade square for well over half and hour before he switched on the ignition and started it.  The gunners were either very daft or because he was a corporal they didn't question how they could bump start a trailer mounted generator.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As an ex REME gun fitter I would be very worried.

When I was at 47 Fld Regt RA our sparky would get a group of gunners to help bump start "his" generator mounted on a trailer. They would be pushing this thing back and forth across the parade square for well over half and hour before he switched on the ignition and started it.  The gunners were either very daft or because he was a corporal they didn't question how they could bump start a trailer mounted generator.

A civvy employee at the then REMEE centre at Strensall. Have long lost touch with him since as both of us moved away from the village I lived in back then.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

You've had luck laying yellow over blue?   I've always followed the recommendation of lighter colors first.    No bleed?

Usually I would go with that, but with the cab shape of the 24/25 it Just makes for easier masking to be honest. Once masked I spray a coat of light grey or white acrylic car primer, then yellow which usually does the job.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 15/03/2022 at 23:57, cheesysmith said:

No DCC blanking chips.

That was a bargain.

I think there's a lot in this.

Over recent years nearly all my stuff has come off ebay, and I've saved a packet in doing so. Actually I suspect I've spent a similar amount of dosh, but just got a lot more for it!

On rare occasions I've been disappointed, and a couple of times complained and had a partial refund. But 99% of the time it has worked well. A big part of this is being prepared to do a bit of cleaning, servicing and fixing, things I expect are second nature to all those reading this thread. Folk will tell you that ebay prices have risen over time, and I think this is true, but so have prices of new items, and so the discount factor has remained.

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Painted and transferred, the loco in all it's glossy glory, pending a coat of Matt varnish.

20220319_200637.jpg.6f8a8c8206333eeab4c998d6db53548a.jpg

20220319_200603.jpg.7e647281ec0078224e852978ae55fd40.jpgThere are still jobs to be done such as the roof fan grille, handrails etc.

I worked from a photo on the Derby Sulzers website page for 5176 (later 25 026) here:

https://www.derbysulzers.com/25026.html

Which shows the loco ex-Derby works in 1968, the grey (translucent?) roof panels showing up particularly well.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

16 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Painted and transferred, the loco in all it's glossy glory, pending a coat of Matt varnish.

20220319_200637.jpg.6f8a8c8206333eeab4c998d6db53548a.jpg

20220319_200603.jpg.7e647281ec0078224e852978ae55fd40.jpgThere are still jobs to be done such as the roof fan grille, handrails etc.

I worked from a photo on the Derby Sulzers website page for 5176 (later 25 026) here:

https://www.derbysulzers.com/25026.html

Which shows the loco ex-Derby works in 1968, the grey (translucent?) roof panels showing up particularly well.

Ooo now that looks excellent, great painting and transfer application Martyn. Seems a shame to matt varnish it.. I'd be tempted with a satin to try keep the just ex works look? Top job,love it.

All the best

James

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Ooo now that looks excellent, great painting and transfer application Martyn. Seems a shame to matt varnish it.. I'd be tempted with a satin to try keep the just ex works look? Top job,love it.

All the best

James

Hi James,

I trust you are well, thanks for your comments. It is actually a lot glossier than the photos might appear to show......and the 1971 photos I have of it at Oban show it to be rather less than pristine unfortunately! 

I don't have an acrylic satin varnish auto spray either.....

It may just get a light dusting of road dirt, but there is no hurry!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James,

I trust you are well, thanks for your comments. It is actually a lot glossier than the photos might appear to show......and the 1971 photos I have of it at Oban show it to be rather less than pristine unfortunately! 

I don't have an acrylic satin varnish auto spray either.....

It may just get a light dusting of road dirt, but there is no hurry!

Morning Martyn, yeah feeling pretty good but have still been testing positive for Covid so getting a bit bored of my 4 walls...

I'm sure whatever you decide to finish it off will look great, a bit of weather here and there will add just that extra bit.

Hope you're keeping well too?

James

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 07:16, jessy1692 said:

Morning Martyn, yeah feeling pretty good but have still been testing positive for Covid so getting a bit bored of my 4 walls...

I'm sure whatever you decide to finish it off will look great, a bit of weather here and there will add just that extra bit.

Hope you're keeping well too?

James

Hi James,

We're back in the RMweb room! 

Yes thanks, all good here, modelling time seems limited to snatched opportunities currently even though I've been on my 4-weekly "long weekend" from work. Hopefully have rat 5147 fully liveried up in the next day or 2 so will post up some photos in due course.

Cheers,

Martyn. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi James,

We're back in the RMweb room! 

Yes thanks, all good here, modelling time seems limited to snatched opportunities currently even though I've been on my 4-weekly "long weekend" from work. Hopefully have rat 5147 fully liveried up in the next day or 2 so will post up some photos in due course.

Cheers,

Martyn. 

Evening Martyn, glad to be back on here! I really have missed it although didn't get anything much done during the down time... 

5147 will come out well I'm sure, keeping a close eye on what you are planning with that 40 you picked up when you get to it.

All the best

James

1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening Martyn, glad to be back on here! I really have missed it although didn't get anything much done during the down time... 

5147 will come out well I'm sure, keeping a close eye on what you are planning with that 40 you picked up when you get to it.

All the best

James

Ah, the 40, yes it's getting nearer the top of the to do list! I have a roof fan and grille to pay for from Shawplan, once I decide if I want to order and fit their cab windscreen overlays too, or just fettle the existing ones - maybe. I can't quite decide! Other than that the nose profile may receive some attention if I can see a way to reduce the apparent depth slightly, but it really is a right load of maybe's at the moment!

Martyn.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Ah, the 40, yes it's getting nearer the top of the to do list! I have a roof fan and grille to pay for from Shawplan, once I decide if I want to order and fit their cab windscreen overlays too, or just fettle the existing ones - maybe. I can't quite decide! Other than that the nose profile may receive some attention if I can see a way to reduce the apparent depth slightly, but it really is a right load of maybe's at the moment!

Martyn.

Shawplan grille is a must, iv popped one on my Bachmann 40 and it's well worth it and frost grilles too if needed, amazingly fine mesh.

Cab windows is always interesting so I'll be interested to see how you tackle it, and intruiged to see what you do with the profile too.

Mines pretty far down the list but it could be a quickish project to run alongside something else. Pity York show is cancelled, was going to pick up loads of bits and bobs for various things like deltics and the 40. 

4 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Shawplan grille is a must, iv popped one on my Bachmann 40 and it's well worth it and frost grilles too if needed, amazingly fine mesh.

Cab windows is always interesting so I'll be interested to see how you tackle it, and intruiged to see what you do with the profile too.

Mines pretty far down the list but it could be a quickish project to run alongside something else. Pity York show is cancelled, was going to pick up loads of bits and bobs for various things like deltics and the 40. 

I quite agree regarding the roof fan/grille James, as with any solid moulded grille it makes a massive difference; thanks for the reminder regarding frost grilles, must check my photos! I did the Shawplan windscreens on a previous Lima 40 about 15 years ago and they do make another visual improvement, but I really struggled with fitting glazing at the time.

I managed to get the transfers applied on 5147 so hopefully that will get a coat of matt varnish later.

Martyn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

I quite agree regarding the roof fan/grille James, as with any solid moulded grille it makes a massive difference; thanks for the reminder regarding frost grilles, must check my photos! I did the Shawplan windscreens on a previous Lima 40 about 15 years ago and they do make another visual improvement, but I really struggled with fitting glazing at the time.

I managed to get the transfers applied on 5147 so hopefully that will get a coat of matt varnish later.

Martyn

Good luck with the varnishing, woke up to snow again up here so no spraying for me this weekend by the look of it.

When I do my deltics with the shawplan windscreens I use crystal clear and it works pretty well so may be an option on the 40?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chaps

Lima/Railroad 40's cab windscreens. They are flat where as the real ones angled back, which we all know. I cut away the corner pillars and file from the pillar supporting the center pane a slight angle. These two pillars are removed and a new windscreen fitted. In my case it is one of plastic card. I have only ever bought one etched windscreen and use it as a template for plastic card EE cabs.

004a.jpg.3ae7d38a79cfc6002de55e718cd959b2.jpg

The Lima/Railroad loco also suffers from not quite enough radius on the nose edges. be careful and don't over do the filing as I did on this one.

005a.jpg.ddb5c51ac3a45794dd1c27982840eb13.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Chaps

Lima/Railroad 40's cab windscreens. They are flat where as the real ones angled back, which we all know. I cut away the corner pillars and file from the pillar supporting the center pane a slight angle. These two pillars are removed and a new windscreen fitted. In my case it is one of plastic card. I have only ever bought one etched windscreen and use it as a template for plastic card EE cabs.

004a.jpg.3ae7d38a79cfc6002de55e718cd959b2.jpg

The Lima/Railroad loco also suffers from not quite enough radius on the nose edges. be careful and don't over do the filing as I did on this one.

005a.jpg.ddb5c51ac3a45794dd1c27982840eb13.jpg

Very useful info thankyou Clive, which will come in handy, as I'm no good at cutting out plasticard windscreens I'd better get an etched one, thankfully 264 didn't seem to carry frost screens for my period so will save a bit there......

Hope the coach roof grafting is going well!

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Latest rat 5147 has had a coat of varnish, along with 5176 and a touch up on 5098. As I wanted to get on and get the various bodywork and paint done on these, the downside is that now all 3 need glazing and various handrails, lamp irons, headcodes etc adding, a tedious job at best.

20220401_164447.jpg.e489a724a02abdf204fe77bc8491bc22.jpg

20220401_182359.jpg.815c312437154408000b08635fd64422.jpg

20220401_164529.jpg.17aecbcf2840b2500f89260be92bf0f7.jpg

I also got round to adding an identity to my SLW 24......which also now needs masking for some matt varnish on the cabsides.

20220330_161118.jpg.9cc58db8162d218cfdeee5014e0437b3.jpg

I've decided not to reload all the photos lost in the RMweb ether, life is too short! But will do if anyone wants particular info.

Martyn.

• Like 7