• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2022 at 23:59, Signaller69 said:

It seems to have ended its revenue days on ScR, during which time it was simply numbered "SC1705" (no suffix), as per this link:

No problem Martyn, it was after I'd posted I realised the number may have been different according to the period modelled.

EDIT: Couldn't remember where I'd seen it but the first Platform 5 book in 1979 had them listed as SC1705/6E - which really they should be as there were also Mk1 RB with the same numbers, M1705/6.

Still very nice work 🙂

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 01/12/2022 at 10:36, keefer said:

No problem Martyn, it was after I'd posted I realised the number may have been different according to the period modelled.

EDIT: Couldn't remember where I'd seen it but the first Platform 5 book in 1979 had them listed as SC1705/6E - which really they should be as there were also Mk1 RB with the same numbers, M1705/6.

Still very nice work 🙂

Thanks, yes, a very good point, it does seem odd that the suffix wasn't used on 1705. It appears a lot of such suffixes were dropped around this time, the LMS BG's and Southern Van 'B' springs to mind, but possibly there were no number conflicts there (or perhaps built just in BR days so weren't deemed necesssary)?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Port Sunlight Toyfair last Sunday which yielded more "useful junk" from the £2 boxes......20221204_224502.jpg.60fbfb84ae4372fd6504bf587a687344.jpg

The crimson & cream Airfix Staniers will donate a set of bogies for a departmental coach project, with the bodies probably destined to be used for a 6w BGZ on a scratch chassis. The 2 Trix Mk1s and Lima 117 underframe will meld into another Class 126 DMBSL eventually.

I have started the Mk1 Inspection Saloon, Triang BSK sides being cut & shut to be spliced into the Bachmann Mk1 Suburban shell, once the end windows have been drilled and filed out.

20221209_000756.jpg.88dfb3bc5bf0d13002318387d1b2a23a.jpg

The left over brake sections, in their turn, will produce another Mk1 BG.

On a seasonally silly note, my good lady actually insisted on a "Christmas train" under the Christmas tree this year! This £15 'O' Gauge - ish set from B&M was considered suitably, erm, "Christmassy". Lots of play value with 2 points, a station, Loco & Tender, 2 4w coaches and 2 wagons. Loco has "sedate" and "a bit faster" speed options, no reverse though!20221210_230617.jpg.cdfc82a466b59129bf6d69179f2d864a.jpg

And no, I'm not planning a cut & shut on any of this! My Granddaughter will enjoy it though I'm sure......

Happy Christmas all.

Martyn.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Not much modelling done due to seasonal commitments but the Inspection Saloon is slowly progressing.

20221217_124222.jpg.79c1a64fc95bd7cff7e4ba3b42e07a97.jpg

Plasticard "ribs" were added inside the bodysides, with corresponding lugs to fit the Bachmann chassis. Once the end windows were roughly drilled out, the bodysides were fixed in place, with a bead of epoxy resin added along the roof join to give added strength. Hopefully some further fettling will occur over the Christmas period.

Happy Christmas all.

Martyn.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the inspection saloon. I've always though the outermost side windows looked too close to the ends compared to all other Mk1s; presumably it improves the views for the 'officials' onboard! It's a good bit of cut & shut to get a non-standard window layout like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Nice work on the inspection saloon. I've always though the outermost side windows looked too close to the ends compared to all other Mk1s; presumably it improves the views for the 'officials' onboard! It's a good bit of cut & shut to get a non-standard window layout like that.

Thanks Rich, using the standard Triang window spacing meant I could keep almost all the joins along the door seams which helps keep things a little neater. Possibly not "inch perfect" but certainly close enough for my needs!

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have done one job which was proving a stumbling block to progress, namely opening the end windows out and adding microstrip frames to give the rounded corners.

20221231_111525.jpg.eca434c9ff59f76101fd2f2945265955.jpg

After a light sanding I will probably drill the roof for the new vents next, before adding the rest of the end details.

Happy New Year all.

Martyn.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

I have done one job which was proving a stumbling block to progress, namely opening the end windows out and adding microstrip frames to give the rounded corners.

Martyn,

That 'little job' is mighty impressive and very well executed. What microscope did you use ... (!?)

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ISW said:

Martyn,

That 'little job' is mighty impressive and very well executed. What microscope did you use ... (!?)

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I used the old fashioned method of popping to the local for a couple of scoops (for medicinal Dutch courage of course!) then on returning home, donning my beer goggles (well, reading glasses, but the effect is much the same!). A length of microstrip was wrapped tight-ish, several times around a suitably sized square piece of wood, before being sliced along one side to give 4 equally sized frames which were then manipulated into place with Mek Pak. Don't think I could have achieved it without said beer goggles (or beer) though! 😁

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

After an evening making 6 sets of footsteps, the finishing line is in sight!

20230108_001626.jpg.dd13ce49abd2ebb941afe5457a3eccbb.jpg

Just put an order in to Railtec for various transfers, including the white coach lining which I have run out of. Livery is the very early 70s variation applied to Inspection Saloons without the top blue band below the guttering.

The underframe had to be totally re-arranged and there is still the roof water piping and various handrails etc to add.

• Like 15

• 5 weeks later...

The Saloon is progressing at a snail's pace, having been lined and given its identity, the underframe painted and a start made on the interior.

I have been sidetracked by making a start on the 6w ex-LMS Stove 'R', using one of the Airfix Stanier coaches to produce the bodywork. The chassis is from plasticard and cast metal axleboxes which I picked up as part of a job lot some time ago. This will be in very tatty BR Crimson, following a Dave Larkin 1974 photo.

20230201_120329.jpg

20230123_194339.jpg

20230120_091911.jpg

20230208_013214.jpg

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I give up. I have NO IDEA what happened with my last post! It was quite short and the photos were in the right places. RMweb somehow stretched it out to pretty much fill a page! So now posting photos (on the same phone i've had for 6 months) seems an issue. I've had no problem posting anywhere else?

*edit* having reported the problem, I think admin have now removed all the empty space!

Edited by Signaller69
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great work, I don’t know which is impressing me more the inspection saloon or stove r. The shaping of the micro strip for the windows is top notch, don’t know how many times I’ve tried this without success. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @46256.

The Stove is almost complete now.

20230209_123156.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

The Saloon is finished, 6w also Stove complete other than handrails and development towards the ScR Griddle car is underway with help from Worseley Works. Plus weathering continues on the Crinan fleet.

I am experiencing posting issues on RMweb with random huge spaces between text and photos which are not of my doing so posting involves a lot of time removing this gap (see my previous post which is not playing ball at all, even with editing). I have reported this but not had any response or solution.

20230330_114300.jpg

20230222_213539.jpg

20230328_095247.jpg

20230329_223408.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Stoves are neat stock.  I remember how wildly popular the N gauge one was.

I agree, I think they were always sought after by modellers once Hornby Dublo brought out their version in the 60s. The more recent Dapol/Hornby ones command top prices on Ebay too.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Not much modelling done, but the Cambrian Borail is finally almost complete, and the V2 Mk1 ScR Griddle sides (Sc1103-6) in conjunction with Worsley Works have arrived and look rather juicy....no one having done a kit or sides previously.

20230606_073915.jpg.415628802656c1e86282e4fc7619d8c4.jpg20230531_163115.jpg.dc99b28e04258412cd16c1f9a801510c.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm calling the Borail done now. I really must get on with other projects......20230627_163719.jpg.97d611715b00f25245000ec3a8257f8e.jpg

The load of a few rails is just right for "Crinan", running with a couple of "Sturgeon" bogie wagons. The layout is having a make over of the goods yard area currently. 

20230615_205209.jpg.4dc12abe255bf664614f359624604854.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...