expoEM North 17th & 18th September 2016

DerekEm8

A Routemaster, in Manchester?

Yes Manchester Corporation were thinking about buying some but didn't in the. I believe RM1414 was presented to GMT when it was retired from LT service as a getsure

Just got back home from the show. Took a winding, longer journey home, avoiding the M6 and M56, which when the radio announced the big delays on the Junction we'd have joined at, made us glad we did avoid it!

A lovely day as expected. Some excellent modelling on show. Was particularly impressed with Fryer's Lane, and was nice to have a natter with the owner, it following similar ideas (in terms of size/era) to what I plan to do, though my plan has grown an extra couple of feet compared to the 4'8.5" limits Fryer's Lane was designed with in mind, but not to worry!

Grabbed a few items, but not a great deal as needed to keep some funds free for next weekend's Scaleforum. Though did grab a wheel set for a pannier so I can convert the LT pannier to P4, and a set to convert a 60 or 47 to P4. As well as that grabbed a couple of brassmasters' coach bogies and worked out what size will be needed for replacing the Networker bogies (8' with 2'9" wheels approx.). Had the usual natter with several traders and other members I bumped into, which is often the best reason for going to the shows imo.

Will look through the photos later on maybe, atm I just want to lay down as my back is giving me utter hell now after the drive up (Natalie drove down). Hopefully GP will be helpful Tuesday about it.

• RMweb Gold

There was a quite nice fleet of them operating in the North East from the Early 1960's.

14454496543_e1d867b270_c.jpgNorthern General Transport Comany Bus 2091 AEC Routemaster fitted with Leyland engine Park Royal 1966 by John Huddlestone, on Flickr

P

Are they the ones that were converted to OMO?

Mike.

A very good weekend all round all packed up and cleared the hall before 6-30pm.

Once again thanks to all the layout owners, demonstrators and traders for theirs attendance and also the visitors who attended without whom it would have  a lot of wasted effort.

Unfortunately Sunday afternoon was marred by the theft of TWO fully completd locomotives.  One from the High Level Kits Stand (a Great Eastern "Coffee Pot" and the other a MR 'Flatiron' from Broome Junction.

Please keep your eyes on the various 'flog -it- cheap and fast' sites. The Police have obviously been informed.

• RMweb Premium

There was a quite nice fleet of them operating in the North East from the Early 1960's.

14454496543_e1d867b270_c.jpgNorthern General Transport Comany Bus 2091 AEC Routemaster fitted with Leyland engine Park Royal 1966 by John Huddlestone, on Flickr

P

Nimmo's beer from Castle Eden. Now produced occasionally by Camerons Brewery in Hartlepool!

Unfortunately Sunday afternoon was marred by the theft of TWO fully completd locomotives.  One from the High Level Kits Stand (a Great Eastern "Coffee Pot" and the other a MR 'Flatiron' from Broome Junction.

What brainless tw*ts some people breed.

P

An excellent weekend was had with a superb selection of layouts, traders, demonstrators and society stands.

The 'bring & buy' was manic in the first hour after we opened on Saturday morning with some very heavy duty shopping taking place, and it ticked over nicely for the rest of the day. Sunday was a bit quieter though.

Very many thanks to Derek and team for organising what was a very good show.

Yes Manchester Corporation were thinking about buying some but didn't in the. I believe RM1414 was presented to GMT when it was retired from LT service as a getsure

Yes RM1414 is in the Queens Road museum. The RM was expensive to buy and the spares were expensive too. The price of both came down a lot after LT started to withdraw them.

There must be some working Manchester Corporation buses. There is at least one working Stockport Corporation Crossley, I saw it a few years ago at Crich.

Regards

Are they the ones that were converted to OMO?

Mike.

Two were converted by Northern General, Tyneside and Wearsider -https://www.flickr.com/photos/tarquinius_superbus/6911768468/in/photostream/

As for Routemasters in Manchester, Stagecoach used them on routes in the era following de-regulation of bus services in 1986. 'Don't know how long they lasted but I'd suspect it was a good number of years.

• RMweb Premium

As for Routemasters in Manchester, Stagecoach used them on routes in the era following de-regulation of bus services in 1986. 'Don't know how long they lasted but I'd suspect it was a good number of years.

They didn't last very long, GM Buses (as it was at the time) bought a few for use on the 143 (?) service to East Didsbury.  Whilst they were fine trundling around at low speeds in city centre traffic, as soon as they opened them up along Oxford Road, they overheated.  It wasn't unknown for them to make only one round trip before the radiator boiled over!

I was working in the centre of Manchester near Piccadilly Gardens at that time, and it was fairly common to see at least one of the Routemasters sat on the stand at Piccadilly Gardens with the bonnet open & the radiator being topped up.  It's a long time ago, but memory suggests they lasted less than 12 months on that route.

Moxy

At 8 quid I thought that was bit too much -

Think £8 more than reasonable......after all, if you want a quality finescale show where layouts and demonstrators inevitably come from  wide geographical locations, travel and hotel costs need covering, as well as venue costs.

Do wonder sometimes how folk think such shows can be staged for less....

• RMweb Gold

Think £8 more than reasonable......after all, if you want a quality finescale show where layouts and demonstrators inevitably come from  wide geographical locations, travel and hotel costs need covering, as well as venue costs.

Do wonder sometimes how folk think such shows can be staged for less....

I saved that much in postage on the bits I bought.

• RMweb Premium

You also have to remember that the attendance at these sorts of shows is quite small compared with more general shows. EXPO EM North is a very good, relaxed, friendly show (or it was until people started nicking stuff) with no barriers, plenty of time for exhibitors to chat one to one with paying visitors but the ratio of costs to number of people paying to get in just doesn't work in the same way as shows that maybe get visitor numbers in the thousands.

Having said that, although perhaps not as big as some shows, in terms of quality of show, atmosphere, superb trade and everything else that makes EXPO EM North what it is, £8 is a bargain.

It could be more widely advertised, with a view to encouraging more families and non railway enthusiasts in. If visitor numbers trebled, sure the price could be dropped but the show would need barriers, have quite a different atmosphere and wouldn't be the special show that it is any more.

Despite the thefts that left a bit of a cloud over the weekend, the show was superb and many congratulations are due to Derek and Alan and those others who gave up their time  and much effort to make it all happen.

Tony Gee

Archived