• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifdmu1.jpg

The Cravens / Gloucester hybrid unit, 53812 / 53355

attachicon.gifApp0575.jpg

Asbestos removal at Springs Branch of a unit that caught fire between Manchester and Liverpool.

Is that the Cravens / Gloucester hybrid unit that used to regularly work the Stockport - Stalybridge service?

If so then I was a regular user of that unit.

It was later replaced by a bubble car which, at peak periods, struggled to accommodate all the passengers.

This was then replaced by the "parliamentary" when loco hauled services ceased (via Man. Vic) and were replaced by 2nd generation DMUs via Man Picc thus allowing direct connection with the London trains. (I stopped all train interest, (and use), because of this for the next 15 years!)

I've been searching for photos of the Stockport - Stalybridge service ever since!

Kev.

Is that the Cravens / Gloucester hybrid unit that used to regularly work the Stockport - Stalybridge service?

If so then I was a regular user of that unit.

It was later replaced by a bubble car which, at peak periods, struggled to accommodate all the passengers.

This was then replaced by the "parliamentary" when loco hauled services ceased (via Man. Vic) and were replaced by 2nd generation DMUs via Man Picc thus allowing direct connection with the London trains. (I stopped all train interest, (and use), because of this for the next 15 years!)

I've been searching for photos of the Stockport - Stalybridge service ever since!

Kev.

Here is the Stalybridge service at Stockport in 1982, this time formed by a 2 car class 108 set

post-7081-0-79987900-1470567106_thumb.jpg

On a damp day 51930 and 52045 wait in the bay at Stockport, 21/6/82

edit - and 87023 lurks in the background

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ah, good old N699. Never saw it in the flesh, but what a shame it was scrapped, an ideal 'mobile museum' of outside contractors dmu vehicles... and asbestos free! What fools the NRM are with diesel traction....

I wonder if Llangollen railcars will recreate it (although the Cravens will have to be a trailer)?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif07_109_0003_Chatteris 04-03-1967.jpg

Wickham 109, Chatteris, 04-03-1967, last day of the loop.

attachicon.gif07_DLW_1000_Stourbridge Common Cambridge.jpg

Derby LtWt, Stourbridge Common, Cambridge.

attachicon.gif07_DLW_1001_M79900 Cambridge.jpg

M79900, p3 Cambridge on a Bletchley service.

Stewart

Hi. The first photo actually shows a class 101 Metro-Cammell unit.

Rob.

Sorry, definitely NOT a 101. They were not allocated in the Cambridge area and although very occasional visitors, were very rare at that time. Somewhere in my notebooks I have the spotting notes for this trip and it is definiately a Wickham.

Stewart

post-2049-0-59418700-1470600952.jpg

Another shot, straight into the sun with an Instamatic camera, of the same train arriving at Chatteris.

Stewart

• Like 9

Earlier in the thread, Tyseley's single-car units were mentioned. Here's one still with an SC prefix substituting as part of a 3-car unit at Leicester, 1982/83:

attachicon.gifN12_0016-SC55005-Leicester.jpg

And a few livery variations from the collection...

Tyseley black cab windows, 1982/83 at Leicester:

attachicon.gifM5_0010-M53315-Leicester.jpg

Bedford-St Pancras hydraulic 127 repainted into green and on its way back south from overhaul and repainting (at Derby?). Also 1982/83 at Leicester:

attachicon.gifN29_0023-M-51591-in-green-Leicester.jpg

GW-style chocolate and cream on the Greenford shuttle, 1985:

attachicon.gif1985prints_0045-W55020-Greenford.jpg

More green nostalgia on a Carlisle 108 at Seascale/Sellafield in 1987:

attachicon.gif87-8-20-Seascale.jpg

The green liveried class 127 is the same one that both myself and PhilMc posted. Your shot shows it prior to conversion to parcels use. So we've got it in service in passenger use, in service in parcels use and in preservation as well! A famous DMU!

The red plaque behind the drivers door is explained here...

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/class-127/vehicles

Edited by Jamesb
  • Like 1

Original Pressed Steel (117) at Staines West. Very dark green, no marker lights, no lining, no gangway connections.

Swindon cross-country (120) entering Black Dog Halt from Chippenham bound for Calne. This branch always seemed to have three-car units. 

Gloucester parcels car (128) with a tail load at Iver

post-1062-0-23467100-1470601911_thumb.jpeg

post-1062-0-05238000-1470602047_thumb.jpeg

post-1062-0-65360300-1470602322_thumb.jpeg

• Like 17

Hi. The first photo actually shows a class 101 Metro-Cammell unit.

Rob.

Hi Rob, that is definitely a Wickham unit, if you save the image and expand it you can see the distinctive smaller centre window

Hope this helps

Craig.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, that is definitely a Wickham unit, if you save the image and expand it you can see the distinctive smaller centre window

Hope this helps

Craig.

Hi. I am sorry, you are right. It is a Wickham,, I think that I did not have my glasses on at the time!

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Here is a class 110 unit at Beverley on the same hot summers day in late June, 1976. It is a four car set, which has been strengthened to four by inserting a class 104 TSL.

post-22631-0-01995000-1470604447.jpg

post-22631-0-61753800-1470604466_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

Hi. I am sorry, you are right. It is a Wickham,, I think that I did not have my glasses on at the time!

Rob.

No need to apologise Rob, I think many of us are suffering from the same "getting older blind git" syndrome  :blind:

Best regards

Craig.

Hi. Here is a class 110 unit at Beverley on the same hot summers day in late June, 1976. It is a four car set, which has been strengthened to four by inserting a class 104 TSL.

attachicon.gifimg002 - Copy (5) - Copy.jpg

attachicon.gifimg002 - Copy (6).jpg

Regards,

Rob.

I thought 'Ull only had 3 letters, didn't realise it had a silent "H"  :declare:

sorry as an exiled Lancastrian I couldn't resist that one

Craig.

Here is a unit at Llandrindod Wells in June 1991.

attachicon.gifs944 llandrindod wells 6:91.jpg

Whatever used to turn up on Heart of Wales services you could be pretty sure, even two car, it would be composed of two power cars.

I believe the official reason was because of the gradients but I think insurance was as much a reason.

Back in the DMU days, break down on the H of W, and, chances were, someone was in for a very long walk to find the nearest phone.

Back in the day, surrounded by all the flavours of diesel locomotives, it was always difficult to pay much attention to a DMU, let alone desire one for any kind of lengthy journey.

However, secure the front seat (or rear) and you had the best passenger seat on the railway.

At worst, you were always in for a fascinating journey and, at best, well ...... there were some really quite spectacular long journeys available.

Birmingham - Norwich, for some years, was a DMU, obviously most of the Welsh railways and who could forget Nottingham to Skegness from the front seat.

In the 1960s the Settle - Carlisle could be done in a DMU as well.

Then just think of all those Beeching closures that were DMU operated, there was the Stainmore route, Scarborough - Whitby, the list seems endless, and all possible from the front seat.

• Like 2