Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

I'm impressed by your ambition - how big is the space available?

Re Bradford - there is already a model based on Forster Sq called Bradfield. I am building a model based on the fictitious Bradford North Western but am considering renaming it Bradfield.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian.
Nice big double garage 19X23', when I have finished work on the barn all the tools and machines will be moved and layout construction can begin! Both garage doors are coming off and the other door needs moving first.
It will be built in sections, American style. First the hidden sidings behind Goathland and its extension, then Queensbury before I tackle the mill town. The return loops, loco depot and terminus will be last as they will occupy the center. Here's what I have in mind for the terminus, the two tracks on the right being through tracks well disguised.
post-8964-0-51186700-1397921501.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Did you know that the actors on Doc Martin can't go full Cornish with the accent because American viewers wouldn't understand them! Boring!! That's why I turned on the computer to study the gradients around the layout. (That's more interesting I here you say).

Those on Goathland are simple , what goes up must come down. I included them to capture the feel of the station and went to great lengths to bring the curve and grade back down on the viaduct section.

Queensbury posses yet another challenge. Both the platforms serving Bradford trains were on opposing gradients of appox. 1 in 54. (according to google earth). This means that the Halifax Kieghley platforms would have been 1 in 27! Rather steep me thinks.

These pictures show up what I'm procrastinating over quite clearly.

The Halifax-Keighley line is on the left in this 1930s view.

post-8964-0-73983400-1397976557.jpg

The famous picture of the N1 and twin set showing how the grades go up towards Halifax and down towards Keighley.

post-8964-0-61330200-1397975218_thumb.jpg

The 3 arched viaduct which had the two wooden Bradford-Keighley platforms attached to it, clearly slopes.

post-8964-0-45978800-1397975308_thumb.jpg

Verdict:

Reducing the slopes just a little on the two Bradford sides of the triangle will be double reduction on the steep one and prove less hassle  when it comes to leveling out the layout on the opposite side of the room!!

The Goathland extension will also continue to drop away from the station which helps as my plan is to take the Keighley route from Queensbury over the extension.

All this stuff needs working out before I draw the plan full size.

Edited by Sasquatch

Looks good Shaun but how will you keep uncoupled coaches in the Stations?

Sometime the Prototype can give you more of a headache than just doing what works.

Coming from Devon and spending my Summer Holidays in Cornwall as a child I don't have a problem understanding the accent by dam local filkes around yeer think I'm a Cockney for crikes sake! be em daft or wot? :no:

• RMweb Premium

Looks good Shaun but how will you keep uncoupled coaches in the Stations? 

Hadn't thought about that :no:. It was nothing to worry about on Goathland. There is always the possibility of a holding spike that comes up between the sleepers. :sungum:

My uncoupling ramps might just work as well . There's a good reason to have them at both ends of each platform! That would be 14 in all. :drag:

Off to bed as I've got a hell of a lot of barn to paint tomorrow :umbrage:

Edit: Looking at the second pic. above, the barrow crossings make for the perfect disguise for uncoupling ramps!! 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Kal had his tracks in and out so many times, he made me dizzy. but I can understand what you are saying  :sungum: Kal wanted to avoid stock rolling under it's own power. Shall be interested to see you ways and means...as the old loft will give us some issues because of the large beams we have to navigate.

You're sure going to think I've been at some kind of mushrooms when you see what modeling went on this evening!

Found this little HO kit for $7 at the weekend and thought it might make a good Luftwaffe victim set at the back of the layout. It is a post war layout after all.  

attachicon.gifbomb site..JPG

Looks like mushroom clouds to me. Joking aside that looks really impressive.

Also your new layout looks like a real challenge. I will look forward to seeing it develop.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Premium

We love the edit Jaz. That's me walking the dogs and Mrs. Sasquatch watching from the cave isn't it? 

Edit: Gwen is an excellent swimmer BTW, she'll go for a swim around the inlaw's pond just for the fun of it. No need to throw her a ball. Bobo on the other hand has no balls when it comes to water! 

Edited by Sasquatch

Hi Ian.

Nice big double garage 19X23', when I have finished work on the barn all the tools and machines will be moved and layout construction can begin! Both garage doors are coming off and the other door needs moving first.

It will be built in sections, American style. First the hidden sidings behind Goathland and its extension, then Queensbury before I tackle the mill town. The return loops, loco depot and terminus will be last as they will occupy the center. Here's what I have in mind for the terminus, the two tracks on the right being through tracks well disguised.

attachicon.gifindex.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Looks like, your ahead of yourself.........you removed the garage door's before, you took this pic.............

• Like 1

I am considering adding a frisbee in at least one future picture.And will need to update the can to add that Guiness look. I may fatten Gwen and Bobo a little at certain angles they loo a bit stretched.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bet you're wondering why Sasquatch has been so quiet of late.

Just busy! Apart from planting a veg garden I have been busy in here! It started life as a 1/1 scale cow barn.

More on this when the before photographs turn up.

post-8964-0-18878200-1398494696_thumb.jpg

On the 1/76 front, this has received attention this week. More here

post-8964-0-13338700-1398494966_thumb.jpg

While browsing files on the SD card found these too!!!!!

post-8964-0-44063400-1398495051_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-56271600-1398495037.jpg

Squatch. Looking forward to more windows in both scales tomorrow.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

Some gorgeous work. Is the barn yours?? That is one new workshop.

That new building when you mentioned the number of windows you had to do it was just a large number, now you see the model ...wow....

and as for the Abbey ....gorgeous.....the ruin is so evocative....sort of gothic horror...expecting ghosts of those killed by by the religious wars to be wandering the halls. Wailing as they wander.

• RMweb Gold

Wow Sean, that's going to be some railway room!

Love the mill, it's a beautiful piece of work, definitely up there with Jason's Bacup .

Actually, it screams "Arkwright" at me, but then I'm biased, living where I do.

And then there's the Abbey... what more can you say, the building itself is exquisite, and the setting is perfect.

Awesome stuff,

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Some gorgeous work. Is the barn yours?? That is one new workshop.

That new building when you mentioned the number of windows you had to do it was just a large number, now you see the model ...wow....

and as for the Abbey ....gorgeous.....the ruin is so evocative....sort of gothic horror...expecting ghosts of those killed by by the religious wars to be wandering the halls. Wailing as they wander.

Wow Sean, that's going to be some railway room!

Love the mill, it's a beautiful piece of work, definitely up there with Jason's Bacup .

Actually, it screams "Arkwright" at me, but then I'm biased, living where I do.

And then there's the Abbey... what more can you say, the building itself is exquisite, and the setting is perfect.

Awesome stuff,

Al.

Yes! the barn came with the property, it's one reason why we brought the place. What with all my health problems it makes sense to be my own boss. That's what the woman from Brussels recommended after the accident anyway!!

It measures 20' x 80', the first 60' will be the woodwork shop and the last 20' a spray shop. Great for building all the layout boards in as well as all those farm house dressers and tables which will make me rich :jester: (joking aside, some folks will part with some serious cash for "Hand made in America"   stuff).  

So far I have taken 2 walls down, inspected the electrics, added more circuits, repaired most walls, built two more work benches and painted 3 walls. This week I'll be tackling the floor and adding one more window, repairing and painting the last wall, upgrading the lights and fixing up the small office that's in there.

When the floor is dry I'll be moving all the machines out of the garage and putting Goathland in there!!

The new layout might turn out ok if I can pour as much atmosphere into it as the Abbey. The secret detail is decay, the way nature tries to take back what is rightfully hers!    

• Like 2

Wow indeed Shaun, that is some pad, can I rent about a quarter until I can do my 6 x 4 Potting Shed :O

That mill really is the Dogs nuts mate, I tried to make something similar once, it was pre aged as when I looked at it, it looked like it already had subsidance as the windows weren't in line but up and down like a yo yo, hhaha.

Have a good day.

Wow indeed Shaun, that is some pad, can I rent about a quarter until I can do my 6 x 4 Potting Shed :O

That mill really is the Dogs nuts mate, I tried to make something similar once, it was pre aged as when I looked at it, it looked like it already had subsidance as the windows weren't in line but up and down like a yo yo, hhaha.

Have a good day.

When cutting windows if you line them up on a grid (most green mats have them) it makes life a lot easier

I know your really busy, and my question does not need an immediate answer.

I have been studying your Goathland layout photos, I am still amazed ayr just how much effort you took to get details correct where most people will never notice the difference. Did you use O/S maps???

That's not my question!!!!!

My question is the water pump at the water tower end, did you adapt a copy of the one that is at the other end, or did you manage to source one? A kit? Whatever can I please ask how you may it, and the box which did that come with it or did you use bridge building parts for that part?

I still have to say how much I admire how you changed the Goathland station in order to do the back of the building, the elevation where it is in stand along mode, shows off your modelling skills a la wills in good light. And I think I may have to steal borrow copy the Honeydukes idea.

Hope you both have a nice weekend. Is it a holiday like ours here?

Only answer when you have time. Best wishes to mrs Sasquatch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No worries Jaz!

The water crane at the tower end is a Hornby Skaledale one, the water tank below it came from a German kit (I think) and the stair case is half a Ratio signal box one. It isn't standard North Eastern Railway kit but could very easily be knocked up from thin plastic card and strip. I might make another one now that my scratch building skills have come on somewhat.

post-8964-0-32671400-1399067520_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-63262000-1399068260_thumb.jpg

Here's Ivatt class4 Flying Pig #43160. There is a 3 arm junction bracket signal missing from this picture.

post-8964-0-96349500-1399067536_thumb.jpg

Edit: I have just noticed that the water crane is different to the Hornby one by way of its conehead!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sasquatch can hardly wait to get this layout back together and get to work on all the unfinished details.

I will make a new road over bridge from scribed card and NER signals from MSE parts for a start.

Repaint the viaduct and station now that I've mastered the colours.

Add my uncoupling system and build the 3' extension at the north end.

post-8964-0-90219800-1399069388.jpg

post-8964-0-12711000-1399069405.jpg

• Like 5