Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

7 hours ago, Sandhole said:

This is superb.
Regards,
Chris.

5 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, great video it shows your modelling skills and layout off very well. All the best Adrian

21 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Shaun,

It does look good, and it gives a new dimension to seeing the layout.

Thank you, thank you, thank you gentlemen.

Hands are a bit shaky of late and I don't know why the sound is so bad. My problem is that it shows up a thousand things I need to put right. That base board joint where the oil train leaves the station has moved for a start.

It took a lot to get everything to gel nicely. Phone kept doing things I didn't understand, the computer battery ran out, the pick-ups on 13029 were absolutely filthy and downhill running was so bad I took all the wheel sets out of the tankers and lubed them all up. The brake van is now missing a brake shoe too. Model trains seem act like animals when you try to point a camera at them!!!

I will get the hang of it and hopefully the videos will improve. Until then you're all too kind, really. 😌   

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

A great shame that a beautiful animal has to be dealt with in that manner, but I can understand why.

manna

It was very sad. 

The problem is drought related. The animals such as the deer, rabbits, squirrels have mostly moved down out of the woods into human occupied areas where there's more food and water. (In the case of the deer they must feel safer also). It's only natural that the predators follow. They too find easy pickings and become aware that there's plenty more during daylight. Cougar sightings have gone through the roof, there's so many pictures of them on social media.

Incidentally I spotted a Fisher cat over at my neighbors a few months back. A rare sighting indeed!

regards Shaun    

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry folks.

To anyone who read/saw the post about the recent incident at the Sasquatch estate and found it either disheartening or worse

Please accept my sincere apologies.  

In future I'll stick to modeling related subject a refrain from including anything that happens away from the garage or kitchen table!

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
typos
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Sorry folks.

To anyone who read/saw the post about the recent incident at the Sasquatch estate and found it either disheartening or worse

Please accept my sincere apologies.  

In future I'll stick to modeling related subject a refrain from including anything that happens away from the garage or kitchen table!

Regards Shaun

It's life Shaun.  It gives an insight as to what is happening around you, and to things we might never think about.  Brighton, it certainly is not.  Still pray for your safety.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Hello Shaun,

I've recently acquired the 1947 WTT covering Queensbury, which I thought might be of interest. 

On the passenger side, the originating/terminating services that existed in 30s have disappeared, but there were still 20 per day between Bradford/Halifax, 27 per day between Bradford/Keighley and 10 per day between Keighley/Halifax. 

There was plenty of passing freight too, but not much calling, although those that did seem quite interesting:

MX 12.40pm Clayton-Holmfield; Queensbury: arr. 12.50pm dep. 1.40pm

SO 1.32pm Laisterdyke-Halifax; Queensbury: stop when required to detach cattle traffic

SO 4.55pm Halifax-Bradford Goods; Queensbury: stops for tranships, dep. 6.22pm

It's not obvious to me what "stops for tranships" means in this context as the above three are the only timetabled stopping freight trains. 

Best wishes,

Ed

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, csiedmo said:

Hello Shaun,

I've recently acquired the 1947 WTT covering Queensbury, which I thought might be of interest. 

On the passenger side, the originating/terminating services that existed in 30s have disappeared, but there were still 20 per day between Bradford/Halifax, 27 per day between Bradford/Keighley and 10 per day between Keighley/Halifax. 

There was plenty of passing freight too, but not much calling, although those that did seem quite interesting:

MX 12.40pm Clayton-Holmfield; Queensbury: arr. 12.50pm dep. 1.40pm

SO 1.32pm Laisterdyke-Halifax; Queensbury: stop when required to detach cattle traffic

SO 4.55pm Halifax-Bradford Goods; Queensbury: stops for tranships, dep. 6.22pm

It's not obvious to me what "stops for tranships" means in this context as the above three are the only timetabled stopping freight trains. 

Best wishes,

Ed

Wow! Yes, very interesting.

Thank you, Ed for passing on this information!

I was not aware that passenger services originated and terminated at Queensbury! 

Passenger services only lasted until 1955 some of which were timed to arrive simultaneously at Queensbury allowing passengers to change there, ie; someone wishing to travel to Keighley from Bradford could take the Halifax train and change at Queensbury to the Halifax Keighley service and so forth!

Some of the earlier trains were made up of ex-GN 6 wheel Holden stock that had been converted into 4 and 5 coach articulated sets.

Replacement stock was built during the war for these services which consisted of Gresley artic. twins.    

It's very surprising that cattle was handled there. From what I can tell there seems not to have been any facilities to handle livestock at the station. Note taken though and there's plenty of cattle wagons available to recreate these workings.

"Tranships", to my knowledge, were loads that were not worthy of rostering a whole wagon, such as 6 crates of fish or a few milk churns. Both full and empty crates etc. would have been loaded, unloaded, checked and signed for at the various stations along a route thus eliminating the need for shunting. However, looking at the timing of the Queensbury freight working I would think this train had to set back into the goods sidings.

Some companies even built specific large vans for the purpose of tranships, but I believe guards utility vans (BY, BG, CCTs etc.) were also employed and sometimes even attached to passenger services although this practice would have meant appalling journey times and would have been reserved to branch lines with token working.

The inclusion of tranships on layouts makes for quite interesting operation.  

Much appreciated.

Regards Shaun.   

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Wow! Yes, very interesting.

Thank you, Ed for passing on this information!

I was not aware that passenger services originated and terminated at Queensbury! 

Passenger services only lasted until 1955 some of which were timed to arrive simultaneously at Queensbury allowing passengers to change there, ie; someone wishing to travel to Keighley from Bradford could take the Halifax train and change at Queensbury to the Halifax Keighley service and so forth!

Some of the earlier trains were made up of ex-GN 6 wheel Holden stock that had been converted into 4 and 5 coach articulated sets.

Replacement stock was built during the war for these services which consisted of Gresley artic. twins.    

It's very surprising that cattle was handled there. From what I can tell there seems not to have been any facilities to handle livestock at the station. Note taken though and there's plenty of cattle wagons available to recreate these workings.

"Tranships", to my knowledge, were loads that were not worthy of rostering a whole wagon, such as 6 crates of fish or a few milk churns. Both full and empty crates etc. would have been loaded, unloaded, checked and signed for at the various stations along a route thus eliminating the need for shunting. However, looking at the timing of the Queensbury freight working I would think this train had to set back into the goods sidings.

Some companies even built specific large vans for the purpose of tranships, but I believe guards utility vans (BY, BG, CCTs etc.) were also employed and sometimes even attached to passenger services although this practice would have meant appalling journey times and would have been reserved to branch lines with token working.

The inclusion of tranships on layouts makes for quite interesting operation.  

Much appreciated.

Regards Shaun.   

Hello Shaun,

Regarding the passenger originating/terminating services, I have the 1936 WTT and a PDF of the December 1939 Leeds District "Carriage Working of Local Trains" (which is downloadable from the Robert Carroll's brcoachingstock forum google drive) both of which contain these services. I don't have the WTT to hand, but the 1939 document shows:

- A triplicate set + BT operating the 12.50pm Bradford-Queensbury (arr. 1.5pm) which then forms the 1.52pm Queensbury-Halifax (I suppose you could think of this as a Bradford-Halifax service with a long stop)

- Two twin sets operating the the 8.57am Halifax-Queensbury (arr. 9.13am) which then forms the 9.28am Queensbury-Halifax.

I haven't done a full analysis on that document, so there may be others on the Bradford/Keighley side.

Regarding the cattle vans, and I'm completely guessing here, but I wonder whether proper facilities were considered unnecessary if cattle was only being handled on the "unloading" side. The vans could be detached in the siding and it would be up to the consignee to provide their own means of unloading the beasts. (Incidentally, in the 1950 Britain From Above photo of Halifax station, I counted 32 cattle vans - quite a few more than will fit by the dock!)

Thanks for the info on tranships. I was thinking it meant reloading onto another train, but your explanation makes much more sense. The timetable allows 20 minutes to get from Holmfield to Queensbury, which although a bit longer than normal doesn't leave much time for shunting arrangements, so maybe it was a case of loading/unloading a utility van from the passenger platform as required. 

Best wishes,

Ed

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2022 at 02:16, jcredfer said:

Hi Sas,  How are you holding up, with all that storm thrashing around.  It must be rather bleak, to say the least.

Wishing you a Happy Christmas and a fair-weather New Year.

Best wishes

Julian

Hi Julian. Merry Christmas my friend.

We're more than fine, thank you for asking. The storm totally missed us. Christmas day was actually one of the mildest Christmases I can remember; I had a log fire going which we let burn out because it became overwhelmingly stuffy, and we all ended up sleeping with the windows open!

Hope that you had a wonderful day and best wishes for the new year.

Regards Shaun.   

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Having been very busy in my woodwork shop making stuff for Santa, I've not found the time for internet stuff at all until now.

So, may I wish you all a very merry festive season and all the very best for the new year. 

Santa did come by and I managed to get a couple of actual pictures of him.

60007 was fired up specially for the occasion.

santa2.JPG.9687ed4812c1e5cdd5653bb663a87bf0.JPG

Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas.

santa1.JPG.57b004193bb6453d1c09bc9a6fe75bb3.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, boxerbayrailway said:

Merry Christmas Shaun !   

&

A Happy,  Healthy Peaceful New Year to you & your family !

Already looking forward to my next visit !  That A4 looks so good in the blue.

Cheers,

Felix

spacer.png

Merry Christmas Felix.

You're always welcome, our current visitor has made herself so comfortable she's , stuffed herself full of Xmas treats, polished off all the brandy, dozed off on the sofa in her lounge wear (grey shell suit), fallen in love with the cats, even done some laundry and folded my boxers! 😀

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, RodneyV said:

A very small pub?

Now would make a cozy little boozer, couple of pints of Guiness next to the open fire with a cheese and pickle sandwich but not the case unfortunately.🙄 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Amongst the gifts under this year's tree were 3 rather splendid kits.

Needless to say, with little else left to do after completing our guest's gift (a small nest of tables) and the new kitchen unit I got stuck into a bit of modeling.

The kits in question came from Petite Properties. New to me being of laser cut MDF and dense card construction, we discovered their website purely by accident. I did fancy the church for the top end of the mill town but they are out of stock. 

First up was the Lynch Gate. Perfect for the entrance to any house of God and as a starting point in card kit building.

These kits come as a kind of detailed shell, allowing the builder to finish the model in whatever guise he or she chooses.

For the West Riding area, we require dirty millstone grit and thus I started by cladding the walling sections with some scraps of plastic card N scale random stonework. Finished with the tried and tested Sasquatch crafters acrylic method the rest was vert straight forward. Rooves are the same scribed thick paper strips I employed on the big warehouse etc. only this time I went with 4mm slate after finding the 3mm I used on the following build a bit too tedious.

856728837_LYNCHGATE(1).JPG.d2f39c2ba415bad5f35d76ffaaf44111.JPG

That following build involved having a bash at the little school. What a great looking finished model this builds up into. Again, I clad all the walls with 2mm scale stones. The model has some real depth to the window apertures giving the impression of nice thick stone walls.

SCHOOL.JPG.0a0017e9558ee5c0e3d865e63f4aca9d.JPG

The third kit is the No.2 Station Road, double fronted shop. Still a work in progress, I have deviated away from the instructions slightly by way of reversing the rear aspect and adding an extra door, so that the scullery door will now open onto a side street.

924770080_CORNERSHOP(2).JPG.1780f173659a4f8a1b75cf282802e4af.JPG

Again, the store front is exquisitely designed and went together beautifully. I went about the construction in two halves so as to ease painting.

764898412_CORNERSHOP(3).JPG.0e78f4bfed07ff288ae1e82765156e23.JPG

It has been finished in a light green. Any guesses as to what kind of business is going to occupy the corner shop??? 

638968272_CORNERSHOP(1).JPG.9b6f8398be28c13ecf78c35c390d79e4.JPG

Hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas. Regards Squatch.    

Shaun,

It is the wrong colour for Arkwright's General Store, but a double fronted shop like that would be for something, like a grocers, not greengrocers, or a sweetshop/tobacconist/newsagent.  (All the same thing really.)

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Shaun,

It is the wrong colour for Arkwright's General Store, but a double fronted shop like that would be for something, like a grocers, not greengrocers, or a sweetshop/tobacconist/newsagent.  (All the same thing really.)

Wow four guesses😲. All wrong of course, sorry!🥴

Must get back to slating that bloomin roof...

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

................................   I know Naaathing!.....

Happy New Year everyone.

I'm off to find a decent, old fashioned Cafe, in the morning, to sit with an old fashioned cup of Tea and slice of Sponge cake [hopefully not quite so old fashioned]...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

................................   I know Naaathing!.....

Happy New Year everyone.

I'm off to find a decent, old fashioned Cafe, in the morning, to sit with an old fashioned cup of Tea and slice of Sponge cake [hopefully not quite so old fashioned]...

Tea and sponge cake in a tea shop. Sounds wonderful and a tad old fashioned. There's a tea shope not too far from here where I go once in a while and do that. They always give you a timer for your tea. I find it really stupid being a Brit who drinks tea all day long! There sponge cake is far too flowery, so we get the cup cakes or tea buns.

Enjoy your trip out tomorrow J.

(not a tea rooms BTW).

Regards Shaun.  

• Like 4