Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

All I can say is that I hope it isn't as bad as you think.

Keep us up to date.

Duncan

Thanks Duncan mate.

Just stopped for a cuppa and some sugar intake!

While digging I have burst the main water pipe from the pump house to the wash house. Managed to plug the hole by turning off the electric supply and opening it out with a sharp drill and screwing a stop nut in it.

It just started a new down pour, I haven't seen rain this hard since Oct 7 1986. 

This echoes so much of what is happening in the UK - not to us, thankfully. We live quite close to the River Tyne, but the banks are very high - 100' or more.

Is the local Fire Department involved in such issues? Are you in an area known for such incursion on a seasonal basis?  Our thoughts are with you, Sasquatch. I'm sure you'll do whatever it takes.

Take Care,

Tony.

Really feel for you. At least you've managed to contain the water from the main pipe.

I also have to echo what Tony has said above.

Just wish there was something I could do to help. Bit far to travel though.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Western Oregon is very mountainous. So the weather is quite localized. There are lots of water ways down which the water rages. There are lots of dams too.

All the water will run off eventually I just don't want it to run under my house.

Back in 86 I lived on the very edge of Brighton in Woodingdean. Some local dingbat of a land owner decided to plough up the horse field. On my birthday it rained so hard that the furrows all filled with water and when they gave an avalanche of water tore down the hill taking out the family 5 doors up in the next terrace.

the people who own this house before had horses who hung out under the willows at back that's where there is about 2000 gallons of water right now!

Scratch that. I just looked out the window and my syphoning seems to have drained it quite a lot!

Need to get the glucose level back up before I can do anything else.        

This sounds really dumb. But the name of Oregon stimulates so much in an Englishman's mind that your trauma sounds like a drama to be envied - that and your house and grounds. Easy for me to say, I know. But there is so much in the UK I'm fed-up with. People live on flood-plains, are flooded - and blame the government. A nice mansion with a lawn going down to your boat on the Thames and you want it all sorted out for you. I blame gov. for a lot as you know, but if you want a waterside view, spend a bit of the millions it cost you to get involved with your neighbours and prepare for the worst...

Give your lass a V-day hug from me,

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

The syphon worked very well.

I took a 10 quart bucket to the bottom of the garden hose which took 30 seconds to fill up. That's 5 gallons per minute. It ran for 4 hours. I'm guessing not so fast all that time though. So up to about 1000 gallons. There is also another dam which has a large drain pipe taking the water away from the other side where the new train room is.  

The pond is now just a large puddle. Mrs. S is home safe too.

I might even get a little done on that signal box.

• Like 1

Excellent news!

I'm painting Hornby Skaledale tces, supposedly as place-keepers, but the brick texture is so variable and poor in places that painting the bricks is very challenging. At least it's good practice for painting scratch stuff made from Wills which has a much better mortar definition.

One thing: they look nothing like the Hornby originals - now they're well decayed!

• Like 1

I have noticed men like playing with 

1. water and

2 fire

and given a large piece of machinery

3. earth

It is their primal roots I'm sure. Luckily there is some fun to be had in a very serious situation. You certainly don't want to unintentionally end up like a Frank Lloyd Wright house

Hope you have move valuable items up out of the way....knowing you practical skills...I am sure it was the first stop.......putting goathland in the trailer just in case it needs moving  :angel:

• RMweb Premium

Having watched the BBC online news I pity all the poor folks in the West Country who are having to deal with that atrocious weather.

Here it's one man against the elements fighting a loosing battle with mother nature.

Yesterdays down pour started at about 4PM the water decided to head for the train building. There's no way you can do anything when it rains that hard.

This spring I plan to dig a curtain drain and put in two storm drains to take the water away from our buildings.

• RMweb Premium

Now back on topic.

I have got the stone work looking nice and will scratch build the interior later this evening.

The glazing bars are a little thick and I might need to reduce the height of the bog.

post-8964-0-07203200-1392574147.jpg

post-8964-0-01048500-1392574162_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-64248200-1392574177_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-04602500-1392574192_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-58702900-1392574210_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I like the colouring, very evocotive

I love the dogs, 

I think the pans you have to build a bigger drainage system looks advisable, I hope you 'guys' keep your heads above water. Maybe this is why it was going at a reasonable price. hopefully this will all help. You can buy a pipe (ours is blue plastic and concertinas) that has holes in it, you down and pop it in the ground  and then cover it back over with soil. The excess water in the soil gets in through the holes, then it drains away faster. We used it on a paddock, and have had no problems there  since, we added a nice by amount of gravel as a soak away, about a cubic metre of cheap gravel.

Hi Shaun

Playing catch up after no internet access for 2 days.

Hopefully there isn't too much damage done. It certainly isn't for lack of trying. :sungum:

The signal box is outstanding and really gives the right atmosphere with extended use.  :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys!

luckily no damage. Today it looks like nothing happened apart from the mini earth works. I must have achieved something as all the ground up hill from the flooded area is still waterlogged .

Where as the ground below my levies isn't!

Going for a walk with the puppies to see what that strange blue colour  is above the clouds!

• Like 1

Great work on the box Shaun, I've never built one before so when I get that far I can only hope it looks as good as that.

Glad to hear that all is OK after your flood.

Will be back on here soon to revisit the bits I missed before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I's all good - but the stonework is particularly so. No matter how effective, many examples of stonework seem painted - but yours has the  granular, abrasive look of miniaturised stone. :D

Pure chance. I think it might be down to the fact that acrylic paint dries quite quickly and two of the stages involve wiping most of the paint off with kitchen towel.

I've started on the lever frame. It won't be accurate but better than a bare interior, will do a step by step post!  

• Like 4