Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shaun, I was wondering if either of your layouts will be coming to the Rogue Valley Show this year, I remember seeing goathland last year and was wondering if Goathland or Dunster will be appearing.

Thanks, Nathan

Hi Nathan. I'm not sure yet.

Reason is that the canopy on my truck got wrecked and I don't know if the new one will be ready in time. I know I'm cutting it fine and am hoping to hear back this week. So if I do I'm sure Bruce will find room for me. This time I'll take Dunster.

Regards Shaun

Hello,

Great work on the layout. I remember seeing a N gauge version of Queensbury which was built by a chap in Bingley a very long time ago.  

I noticed earlier in this thread that you have referred to and included an image from the new colour album 'GREAT NORTHERN OUTPOST Vol 1. The Bradford & Thornton Railway' of which I am the co-author and publisher. Not sure if you are aware of this book which was published earlier in the year, but we do feature a number of colour images of Queensbury Station including one of an N1 on a local passenger train. See http://willowherbpublishing.co.uk/ for more details. Volume 2 is due to be published in April 2017.

You asked about the subway at the Halifax end of the station. Originally when the triangular station was constructed the foot crossing was on the level with a footbridge over the tramway. Later on - most likely from a safety perspective - subways were constructed and the lattice footbridge was lowered to align with the passageways under the platforms.

The bridge under the line on the Halifax to Keighley side (which you recently discovered) was an accommodation bridge for the bridleway at that location and was latterly filled in. It emerged a few years ago when ground works were being carried out by the landowner but then demolished to extract the stone and use it for other purposes. It would have been a nice feature for the Great Northern Railway Trail which now runs along some of the old formation of the line.

Looking forward to the finished layout.

Edited by janrapacz
  • Like 1

Managed to get in a full evenings work on these today.

Glazing isn't my favorite job, just keeping the glue off of the clear stuff is trying enough. The roof colour is a bit on the green side so hopefully the weathering will cover it a bit.

attachicon.gifWillow Hall Farmhouse..JPG

attachicon.gifHole Bottom Row (2).JPG

The curtains, open window and moss add much needed life to the structures. 

attachicon.gifHole Bottom Row (1).JPG

Squatch.

Back and seeing the pics mate, just stunning. well done.

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Great work on the layout. I remember seeing a N gauge version of Queensbury which was built by a chap in Bingley a very long time ago.  

I noticed earlier in this thread that you have referred to and included an image from the new colour album 'GREAT NORTHERN OUTPOST Vol 1. The Bradford & Thornton Railway' of which I am the co-author and publisher. Not sure if you are aware of this book which was published earlier in the year, but we do feature a number of colour images of Queensbury Station including one of an N1 on a local passenger train. See http://willowherbpublishing.co.uk/ for more details. Volume 2 is due to be published in April 2017.

You asked about the subway at the Halifax end of the station. Originally when the triangular station was constructed the foot crossing was on the level with a footbridge over the tramway. Later on - most likely from a safety perspective - subways were constructed and the lattice footbridge was lowered to align with the passageways under the platforms.

The bridge under the line on the Halifax to Keighley side (which you recently discovered) was an accommodation bridge for the bridleway at that location and was latterly filled in. It emerged a few years ago when ground works were being carried out by the landowner but then demolished to extract the stone and use it for other purposes. It would have been a nice feature for the Great Northern Railway Trail which now runs along some of the old formation of the line.

Looking forward to the finished layout.

Hi Jan. Thank you for taking the time to post.

There was an N gauge model of Queensbury featured in Railway Modeler during the 90s, I wonder if it was the same layout.

There are many books on my want list which keeps growing bigger. 'GREAT NORTHERN OUTPOST Vols 1&2. The Bradford & Thornton Railway' duly added. Thanks for the link BTW.

My model will bet set during the late LNER to early BR period which means I need to model the subways. The cutouts for the steps have already been included in the basic scenery. Pictures are scarce of this feature, all I can tell is that the steps were steep, by todays standards that is.

I managed to find a picture of Dunster (my other layout) signal box being loaded onto a flat wagon before it was moved down to Minehead. Finding a picture of the lattice walkway being lowered at Queensbury  would be akin to finding golden hens teeth. But hey I did manage to get a hold of two D&S etched GNR footbridge kits. 

Thanks (again) for the info on the bridleway bridge. The bridleway inside the triangle does not appear on the 1930s map. I assume   this led down to Brow Lane because that part of the trail is still there! What I'm trying to decide is if it would make a great feature on the layout albeit out of it's time frame.

post-8964-0-00764200-1479446855_thumb.jpg

There's more important cabinet work nearing completion at present. Layout work should commence next week.

Regards Shaun  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes the foot path and bridle bridge will be included. I have the perfect kit for it.

A parcel arrived today which has solved all the uncoupling and signal control worries. It also has several ratio 10' wagon under frames, 180 telegraph poles, fencing, signal kits and midland coach under frame kits. Don't ya just love eBay!

There's some extensive work planned for this and next week involving more base boards draft proofing etc. Today I purchased a heater which will encourage me a bit because the old mojo froze up a bit last week.

Squatch.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This is the $50 parcel from eBay containing 98 OO Ratio packs and one Three Aitch 5plank  O gauge wagon (perfect for Beale St.).

post-8964-0-81135300-1480526477.jpg

Mainly I was interested in the signal and point control kits. There are 35 of those which is enough to operate most of the uncoupling ramps and signals on Grim-up-North project as described in my blog.

Also in the box were 19 10' wagon under frames, 6 packs of fencing, twelve signals, 5 coach under frames, bogie kits and  288 telegraph poles.

post-8964-0-85017900-1480526489.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shaun

Also in the box were 19 10' wagon under frames, 6 packs of fencing, twelve signals, 5 coach under frames, bogie kits and  288 telegraph poles.,

12 Drummers Drumming
11 Pipers Piping
10 Lords a Leaping
9 Ladies Dancing
8 Maids a Milking
7 Swans a Swimming
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

All the best Adrian.

Wot Al said   ...............    and  ...........

..................   Westerham - once again - leaves me speechless!!                           ...............         although, I don't recollect that last line being sung?  .........    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

.....................  I'm going to hang up the washing - I can just about cope with that, in the midst of such skills.

Regards

J

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That sums up the way I feel very well Adrian!

Here's some great models from this years show in Medford.

My friends Japanese & Korean brass HO collection.

post-8964-0-33293500-1480533320.jpg

post-8964-0-62002000-1480533331.jpg

post-8964-0-44182000-1480533344.jpg

post-8964-0-25935100-1480533357.jpg

And the Cambell Models show cases, all built by members of the club...Makes me want to change scale. (Got to stay focused. Stay focused. FOCUSED)

post-8964-0-57588700-1480533370.jpg

post-8964-0-88312000-1480533382.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Looks like you've got a bit of work there.

I hope that you're not contemplating 'doing an Andy P' as far as scale goes.

No chance!

It does look tempting as I've never built anything other than OO!!

As a precaution I have offered it to Andy for an unrefusable sum.

Now does anyone want some bargain telegraph poles. Or Midland 48' under frames or bogies?

• Like 5

No chance!

Now does anyone want some bargain telegraph poles. Or Midland 48' under frames or bogies?

I would happyily have the underframes and postage is only to the USA! - Cost?

Richard

No chance!

Now with a Broken Arm I have an O Gauge wagon on it's way to the UK. that I didn't even know I wanted, hahahha

• RMweb Premium

Those shaft drive locos.... wow. Ugly but so very appealing (mainly because they are ugly).

The owner assures me they all run like Swiss watches.

A closer inspection reveals a whole new meaning to the term tender drive!!!

post-8964-0-94194900-1480548671.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Now with a Broken Arm I have an O Gauge wagon on it's way to the UK. that I didn't even know I wanted, hahahha

Broken arm? :O  Is this some lame excuse to get me to build it for you prior to shipping :drag:  or am I going to suffer a broken leg from you pulling it too hard?? :jester:

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1