Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday afternoon was spent finishing off work on foam landscaping and various other jobs before I started to move the sections down to the train room.

I was very pleased with my rate of progress which included tidying up the work shop and cleaning off all that dust.

Even finished the Goathland extension above the tunnel.
The lines from Queensbury pass behind the scenery around the curve to the hidden sidings that will extend the full length behind Goathland.
post-8964-0-16376400-1478193647.jpg

Here's the two lift off sections.
post-8964-0-90319200-1478193669.jpg

I rasped and sanded all the rough surfaces on all six sections. Here they're seen standing on their ends. There are now supports for the lift off sections.
post-8964-0-59665600-1478193703_thumb.jpg

This one is already in the warehouse, I was happy with how light this was even if a little bulky.

I even tore off the chicken wire that I was not happy with and replaced that with spare foam sections. (arrowed)

post-8964-0-37635500-1478193688.jpg

Then I cut out all the holes where the controls will go. The three junctions on Queensbury and the hidden loop sidings will have controls on both sides!
post-8964-0-41368500-1478193716.jpgpost-8964-0-11550100-1478193734.jpg

My aim is to tackle one job each day. We'll see how well that works out.

Thanks for looking, I'm feeling quite exited and humble at the same time as this thread just shot past 100.000 views. :sungum:  :sungum: 

Squatch

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Two jobs yesterday!

Firstly I made the 5 control panels from white laminate off cuts left over from my kitchen remodel. These have a mitered front frame and an angled box that are a comfortable fit into the holes I cut in the baseboards. pics. later.

In the evening I got cracking on a low relief HO scale model of Willow Hall Farm house.

post-8964-0-59796700-1478277390.jpg

The structure stands on the other side of Station Road adjacent to the station masters house. In hindsight I should have done the Station Masters House in HO too. The smaller scale will hopefully give more depth to the scene.

From Google Earth 53°46'27.33" N 1°50'20.25" W

post-8964-0-64580500-1478277407_thumb.jpg

The model uses 5mm foam board, overlaid with precut O scale rough brick sheet from Plastruct, with various windows and bits all fastened with PVA. I will finish this this evening.

post-8964-0-93653100-1478277374_thumb.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.

I got some more detail on during my rather long tea break.

post-8964-0-33770100-1478286454_thumb.jpg

And here's the control panels. They will just slot in and be screwed from the front. Thus easily removable if the need arises.

post-8964-0-63599600-1478286491.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Al

Yes the mojo is firing on all 8 cylinders.  

The next job will be rearranging the warehouse which involves clearing away all the trains and relocating Goathland along the back wall so that Queensbury can go together.

Then I need to put Dunster back together and do a little work on it before I decide to take it to this years show. There's a new canopy for my truck coming which means I can't commit to the show until it's fitted.

TBH. I'm glad the Queensbury project has moved to the garage because now I got to catch up on the woodwork. I've two bookcases to build for a customer before much woodwork in the house. 

I've sure got my work cut out this month. Let's just hope I don't come crashing down. Must pace myself!!!

Squatch.

Hi Al

Yes the mojo is firing on all 8 cylinders.  

The next job will be rearranging the warehouse which involves clearing away all the trains and relocating Goathland along the back wall so that Queensbury can go together.

Then I need to put Dunster back together and do a little work on it before I decide to take it to this years show. There's a new canopy for my truck coming which means I can't commit to the show until it's fitted.

TBH. I'm glad the Queensbury project has moved to the garage because now I got to catch up on the woodwork. I've two bookcases to build for a customer before much woodwork in the house. 

I've sure got my work cut out this month. Let's just hope I don't come crashing down. Must pace myself!!!

Squatch.

Little and often mate, over doing it is what burns you / me / us / all out and then we lose interest, and then it becomes a chore.

• RMweb Premium

Little and often mate, over doing it is what burns you / me / us / all out and then we lose interest, and then it becomes a chore.

Edit:

Oops lost the text!

Trouble is I can't remember what I put last night Andy...

...Something about having two active dogs and millions upon millions of leaves to rake up, chores and being lucky enough to have any modeling time at all!

Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

Does Mrs Squatch know that you over-ordered the kitchen materials so you'd have some left over for your control panels?  :jester:

I'm really impressed by your structural designs, as well as the rest of your modelling. I know you do cabinet work as an occupation, but it still inspires me to have more of an adventurous go at baseboard design rather than scaring me off it! It's also great that you show the steps you take to get there... they make you seem almost human at times!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Does Mrs Squatch know that you over-ordered the kitchen materials so you'd have some left over for your control panels?  :jester:

I'm really impressed by your structural designs, as well as the rest of your modelling. I know you do cabinet work as an occupation, but it still inspires me to have more of an adventurous go at baseboard design rather than scaring me off it! It's also great that you show the steps you take to get there... they make you seem almost human at times!

Kind regards, Neil

Hi Neil.   

No. She don't! Not even about the 3'X8' off cut of quality birch ply. :mosking:

It's good to know there's encouragement in my madness.

As it happens I have discovered that the ribs in my designs would be better left flat at track level. Then the landscape built up between them with foam and the gaps above the ribs filled with spray foam. Even easier,  allowing more flexibility  with the track bed and the scenery. Any contours below track bed could be approached the same way by adding a minimum lower level of say 2"-3". All that's needed is a good jigsaw With sharp blades and a nice straight edge.

Regards Shaun.

PS there's some who'd disagree about the almost human bit.post-8964-0-61841700-1478357799.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't noticed how far south the sun had moved until I went in the garage yesterday about 4:30ish and saw the light casting long shadows across the layout.

WD 90630 stops for a top up.

post-8964-0-91456200-1478361549_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-15810800-1478361422.jpg

J50 with a single wagon tarped up car load.

post-8964-0-35201100-1478361373_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-83009500-1478361404_thumb.jpg

Maybe the natural light would show up the paint job I did on Willow Hall Farm house last night.

post-8964-0-07446100-1478361938_thumb.jpg

The awful roof still needs painting, it might even get the single slate treatment at some point.

post-8964-0-47303700-1478361952_thumb.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 12

Hi Neil.   

No. She don't! Not even about the 3'X8' off cut of quality birch ply. :mosking:

It's good to know there's encouragement in my madness.

As it happens I have discovered that the ribs in my designs would be better left flat at track level. Then the landscape built up between them with foam and the gaps above the ribs filled with spray foam. Even easier,  allowing more flexibility  with the track bed and the scenery. Any contours below track bed could be approached the same way by adding a minimum lower level of say 2"-3". All that's needed is a good jigsaw With sharp blades and a nice straight edge.

Regards Shaun.

PS there's some who'd disagree about the almost human bit.attachicon.gifSquatch icon.png

I was looking at a layout at Wycrail today that's a work in progress which was open frame and having level ribs. There does seem to be a great deal of logic to this.

• RMweb Premium

It's all still one huge learning curve! Below is one very good reason to avoid putting ribs where they're not necessary.

Today I've been studying an image I came across of Queensbury.

here click on the second image

We're looking at the farthest railway line on the far right.

This picture taken from an unusual angle answers many Questions I've had... 

1.Why were the Halifax-Keighley platforms of wooded construction

2. Strange that the platform buildings here were so far apart.

3. (the biggest question) were there steps leading down to a subway between the up and down platforms and foot bridge over the tramway.

In the image there are clearly a set of steps! Between the "s" and the waiting room. Explains Q3!! (Note the foot bridge is below the ground level out of sight.)

On the far right is an arch. Just visible is the end of Keighley-Halifax waiting room.

Horror of horrors! There was a bridge there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This answers the other questions. 

This map will help show what I'm babbling on about. It shows ground contours and a road or farm track either side of the bridge. 

post-8964-0-71414000-1478413032_thumb.jpg

So I suppose I'm not finished with the jigsaw and foam.

Squatch. PS. No tasks done today as we had an impromptu invite to a Guy Fawks night!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Next up is a simple row of houses from Hole Bottom. These were probably miners cottages.

the area was dotted with farms and dwellings  so I'm including a few so as to recreate a feel for the area around the station.

post-8964-0-13204200-1478467738.jpg

post-8964-0-91390100-1478467747_thumb.jpg

I believe this is now all one residence, the windows have been replaced otherwise it's not changed much.

post-8964-0-22176100-1478467764_thumb.jpg  

Simple construction in HO as before. The windows are a Grandt Line product and I scratch built the doors from siding, .040X.080 plastic strip, with Peco pins for door handles.

post-8964-0-36280200-1478467782_thumb.jpg    

More on this later today!

Squatch.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

No fear there Al. Our cats know better than to get near the modeling area!

A couple of hours each evening have been spent on Hole Bottom Terrace.

First I built a carcass from foam board and PVAed the walls to it.

post-8964-0-12682100-1478759309.jpg 

Then I added the details before giving the model a coat of much needed primer.

post-8964-0-36373400-1478759334.jpg 

When this was dry I washed on the mortar colour and dry brushed the stones.

post-8964-0-69983200-1478759367.jpg 

Last but by no means least cut a roof from HO shingles, dry brushed the weathered black, gave a wash of grime and poked the carpentry work in.

post-8964-0-75769200-1478759410_thumb.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get in a full evenings work on these today.

Glazing isn't my favorite job, just keeping the glue off of the clear stuff is trying enough. The roof colour is a bit on the green side so hopefully the weathering will cover it a bit.

post-8964-0-01541200-1479022062_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-54713700-1479022046_thumb.jpg

The curtains, open window and moss add much needed life to the structures. 

post-8964-0-61286600-1479022032_thumb.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 4

Just discovered the progress. Fantastic. Love the pics you've found. Think I'm just not very good at searching the net....  Theres an art to what you put in... GNR signal box wouldn't have worked for me. Lol. Don't you have a separate topic for Queensbury???  It's looking great. Keep it up.  

Hi Shaun, I was wondering if either of your layouts will be coming to the Rogue Valley Show this year, I remember seeing goathland last year and was wondering if Goathland or Dunster will be appearing.

Thanks, Nathan

• RMweb Premium

Just discovered the progress. Fantastic. Love the pics you've found. Think I'm just not very good at searching the net....  Theres an art to what you put in... GNR signal box wouldn't have worked for me. Lol. Don't you have a separate topic for Queensbury???  It's looking great. Keep it up.  

Keep checking and follow every link!  There's one image I have found that blows all the others out of the water so to speak. I can't reproduce it here due to copyright. well I could but they want 15 quid! It's of the best quality about 80 years old and shows details that answer lots of questions.

Sorry no separate thread. I decided to keep everything that's going in the railway building on here as it's all one big project.

Regards Shaun.