Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

G'day Gents

I had to take down 6 pine trees on my block (of land) because they were to close to power lines, I'm burning the wood that was small enough to burn, you just have to keep the flue/chimney clean..

As far as a member of the flat earth society, not a member but I live quite close to the edge......

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing wrong with living on the edge mate! Maybe I could use the wood for my workshope stove.

What's he building in there anyway?

post-8964-0-23503000-1472869920.jpg

It's been quite a day. The dogs had a stand off with a skunk last night, needless to say they came off worse. Yuk!

The wood work is finished on this board now and I'm moving on to the next two which should be simpler to build.

post-8964-0-19539000-1472869949_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-15789600-1472869974_thumb.jpg

The veiw along the tracks.

post-8964-0-38038600-1472869995.jpg

Looking up Brow lane under the rail over bridge.

post-8964-0-54925800-1472870011.jpg

Looking up the tramway under the viaduct.

post-8964-0-47947800-1472870031.jpg

More tomorrow.

Squatch.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys. For some reason I've got a feeling like I've bitten off more than I can chew this morning. Perhaps it's because it's taken a week to do just the woodwork on one board and there's about a dozen more to go until the trains can run around the whole warehouse!

I'll just keep beavering away at it and start a note book of measurements and wiring etc.

Squatch Yawn yawn.

• Like 1

Just keep plodding on - you'll get there.

I for one am enjoying seeing this develop - I can just about see part of the trackbed of the Keighley to Queensbury line from my house and I rode past the site of Queensbury station yesterday on the top deck of a double decker - quite a good view from up there.

I'm presuming that the pond inside the triangle must have been filled in at some point - like you I haven't seen it on any photos - either that or it was just a natural depression in the ground.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just keep plodding on - you'll get there.

I for one am enjoying seeing this develop - I can just about see part of the trackbed of the Keighley to Queensbury line from my house and I rode past the site of Queensbury station yesterday on the top deck of a double decker - quite a good view from up there.

I'm presuming that the pond inside the triangle must have been filled in at some point - like you I haven't seen it on any photos - either that or it was just a natural depression in the ground.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the encouragement. Seeing that I've got locals following this I'd better get my act together. Had to do a grocery run this morning and all I could think about was getting back home, putting some music on in my barn and the layout.

As for the pond I'll think I'll include it as it's not something you see on many layouts and if done right could provide some great photographic opportunities.

Yesterday evening Mrs. S. had to drag me outta there about 10ish as I'd spent the whole evening pondering over the 31/2" height difference between the rail heads on the adjoining Goathland board. Doesn't sound a lot but looks like my storage tracks now need to be on a gradient because the Queensbury plan has been rotated and the gradients there omitted!

Squatch. Back to the workshop in this lovely weather I think I'll open all the doors up but then again the dogs are banned which poses a problem.

EDITED FOR SOME VERY BAD ENGLISH!!! OOPPSs..

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

I wish I had your planning and woodworking skills. Until then I'll definitely be part of the flat earth brigade as far as track levels go

Is there any other way? :O  :scared:  :scratchhead:  :rtfm:  :pardon:  hahha Oh yes Shaun has shown us the light, hahha :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You might not know that I once worked with a member of the flat earth society. Nobody could argue with him about it. Even though he'd flown to Australia etc. I asked him that when you're on an aero plane  and look out of the window you can see the curvature of the horizon, no? his reply was that the governments  make the windows on planes so that it makes it look that way! The mind boggles!!

As for layouts once you try it, it's not that hard.

1: On the board draw out the whole plan to your chosen scale.

2: Then on another board draw two lines, one as the base line the other the main track height.

3: Add all the hills and gradients.

4: draw where you want the ribs on your plan.

5: Working one rib at a time mark out the points from your plan at the heights marked on the other drawing.

6: draw out a front and back to for the structure.

7: Using a jigsaw cut out all the parts.

8: Assemble all the bits.

9: Add any other flat surfaces such as building foundations and roads.

10: fill all the gaps with foam insulation or chicken wire and plaster bandage or news paper.

11: Grass!

Hummmm . Looking at that list.............. maybe that's double dutch if your not used to wood work.

• Like 2

You might not know that I once worked with a member of the flat earth society. Nobody could argue with him about it. Even though he'd flown to Australia etc. I asked him that when you're on an aero plane  and look out of the window you can see the curvature of the horizon, no? his reply was that the governments  make the windows on planes so that it makes it look that way! The mind boggles!!

2: Then on another board draw two lines, one as the base line the other the main track height.

5: Working one rib at a time mark out the points from your plan at the heights marked on the other drawing.

10: fill all the gaps with foam insulation or chicken wire and plaster bandage or news paper.

Hummmm . Looking at that list.............. maybe that's double dutch if your not used to wood work.

wot about me ot glue gun guvnor?

Worryingly it makes a lot od sense to me. I'm going to have a look at trying it in miniature using cardboard in the next week or two.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Worryingly it makes a lot od sense to me. I'm going to have a look at trying it in miniature using cardboard in the next week or two.

Smart Duncan.

Remember Dunster is flat earth. Goathland was simple but this triangle stuff is doin my head in. Also you don't need to have all those fancy cut outs in the ribs. I just like using my fancy jig saw and band saw!

I'm having a break for a cup of tea and then a nice cold brew to get me going and open my mind to it. Shameless to say I've got stuck and I don't mean the hot glue gun either!

Good luck with it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We had another yard sale today which has left me a little "cream crackered" so no progress but I can share with you what I got up to yesterday evening .

I plotted all the point work for the Goathland hidden passing loops that will exit below Queensbury towards the mill town. This was necessary to avoid the point motors on the Queensbury junction fouling the trains below.
After that I cut out all the ribs for the left hand modular starting with the one that joins the right hand one. To achieve a good fit two pieces of quality ply were screwed together   and both cut at once. Then I drilled the 1/4" holes for the coach bolts that will hold the modular together.
post-8964-0-34606900-1473040966.jpg

This pic. shows all the gradients around the road bridge on Brow Lane.
post-8964-0-49614200-1473040994.jpg

This is the viaduct under the Bradford- Keighley lines. The wooden platforms were mounted on top. These will make an interesting and challenging model.. I might have a go at it in real wood.
post-8964-0-20081000-1473040979.jpg

Squatch. Mature cheddered.

• Like 4

Finally caught up on the excellent thread, What an inspiration, stunning scenery and detailing work. Im going to have to get my arse into gear and start my own layout and stop buying stock and locos! Just got to sort out the attic 1st.

Keep up the good work and Ilook forward to seeing this progress.

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to the thread Richard.

The stock accumulation is always a problem. My budget has to go to such things as glue, cork, rails and plywood. Maybe it's a good thing what with all these LNER engines they're flooding the market with recently.  I came to the same conclusion, "Time to get the rails down and get all those trains raked up and running" !

Good luck with your loft. Insulation will be money well spent.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That arched Iron farm bridge has been under scrutinization this morning. On Google earth it measures up as 10' wide and 36' long. That's 40mm x 144mm in 1/76 scale.

I opened this picture in Picasa 3 and zoomed in until the image on my laptop screen was 144mm then traced the outline onto a sheet of A4 paper. Simple!

post-8964-0-71276000-1473184848.jpg 

Now I can transfer the 136mm between the abutments to the ribs on my baseboards!

The next thing to get altered has been the passing loop modulars. To save on wood, these will now form part of the two back modulars.

Squatch. More pics. later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Moving on to the left hand rear modular where there's been much progress. The construction involved making the majority as with the last section and tacking on two more ribs. I kind of messed up on my plan where the levels cross but it has all come together, lots of glue needed!

post-8964-0-35888900-1473223524_thumb.jpg

Things got sized up by using a square and holding it all up under the top which has everything drawn on.

post-8964-0-58609000-1473223548.jpg

Then I leveled my workbench and clamped it all down holding the assembly square before gluing and pinning the end on.

post-8964-0-86656400-1473223584.jpg

I marked out, cut and fitted the lower curved track bed and mustn't forget not to fix the top section until the rails are laid here.

Looking along the curved front up Brow Lane.

post-8964-0-92482000-1473223628.jpg

Squatch.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I knuckled down with my finger out this afternoon, now the second board is finished.

The road (Brow Lane) at the front needed fettling to get the gradient right then this was glued and pinned in place. I then squared everything up before clamping some salvaged 5mm ply around the curve and marked the incline of the road from underneath on it, cut it on the band saw, glued it up, clamped it in place and pinned it on.

post-8964-0-82552700-1473302673_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-85943700-1473302615.jpg

The 3 levels towards the mill town.

post-8964-0-70370300-1473302638.jpg

View along the back.

post-8964-0-63659700-1473302654.jpg

Next bit tomorrow. Squatch.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That's so neat mate, but they look huge, and once covered in Scenic look difficult to throw around. keep the pics and story line coming, it's fascinating to follow.

All the best.

Glad you're enjoying it Andy. Even though there a bit on the big side they're rather light and will still fit over the wheel arches in the bed of my truck. Good job I have a huge truck!

I saw this:

attachicon.gifLeft-modular-shaun001.jpg

and thought you were building a set of steps...

But all becomes clear :)

You're really flying with this, great to see your enthusiasm and mojo has returned in full force.

Al.

If it were a stair case I was building it would be finished by now!

As for the enthusiasm and mojo, when you think back that I've been building up to this for well over two years, it's no surprise! Mrs. S. keeps on at me about redecorating the hall way. That's all woodwork too, with two hidden doors. It will just have to wait. Besides I already built her a kitchen, 10 gates for her gardens and a desk this past year so it's my turn don't you think?

Early start this morning and my challenge for the day is to get that third board done. Save the easy one till last sort of thing.

Regards Squatch.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

As I was looking at how the land lies to the West of the station on Google earth, I quite by accident discovered by using the historical icon and back dating the image that there seem to have been gradients at the site after all.

Why did Google Earth show it level while all that 3D crap was being displayed.

Needless to say I'm VERY P!SSED OFF.