Abellio retain East Anglia Franchise

• RMweb Gold

http://maps.dft.gov.uk/east-anglia-franchise/

The new operator of the East Anglia franchise will invest heavily to improve services for passengers. This includes:

• replacing the entire fleet with new trains within 4 years of the start of the franchise
  • increasing operational performance levels from 89.2% to 92.9% Public Performance Measure
  • 32,000 more seats on services arriving at London Liverpool Street in the morning peak
  • 1,144 additional weekday services
  • Norwich in 90 and Ipswich in 60 services
  • £9,795,000 of stations enhancements
  • smart ticketing on the entire network by 2019
  • controlled emission toilets by 1 January 2020
  • free Wi-Fi at stations and on trains

• Like 2

Mmm 2 trains to Norwich in 90 mins in each direction ... Just a bit of pr spin is it really worth their bother ? Br almost did that back in the early 80's with class 47's...turnip tv hs been barking on about the 90 mins for ages now and only 4 trains a day is an insult to people's intelligence.

Mmm 2 trains to Norwich in 90 mins in each direction ... Just a bit of pr spin is it really worth their bother ? Br almost did that back in the early 80's with class 47's...turnip tv hs been barking on about the 90 mins for ages now and only 4 trains a day is an insult to people's intelligence.

Also they mention London to Ipswich in 60 minutes. The 17:00 out of Liverpool Street is already timetabled to reach Ipswich in 60 minutes but often doesn't quite achieve it due to congestion on the line. I don't see how a new franchise and new trains will make a difference to that.

Also, does anyone know what the new trains are likely to be? I'm assuming an EMU of some sort.

• RMweb Premium

That's "progress" for you.

Yes it is - cutting out the dead space occupied by the loco provides more space for seats so less passengers have to stand.

However as the the actual quality of said seats - that's another matter entirely

• RMweb Gold

If it is 4 x 4 car units there isn't a lot of difference with the space of the loco and the intermediate cabs along the train

Also look at a pendelino as see how space is wasted on those foul things

Edited by russ p

• replacing the entire fleet with new trains within 4 years of the start of the franchise

That's fascinating - the almost brand-new Stansted Express 379s (which also cover fast London-Cambridge/peak King's Lynn services) are also going to be replaced with brand-new trains, according to the link.

I wonder what will happen to the 379s? They're vastly better than the ageing 365s on the Fen Line (it's actually a joy to get one of the infrequent 379s instead of a 365), and significantly better than the 2nd hand 377s that are meant to be transferring to the GN lines from Thameslink to replace the 365s.

I guess this is the "risk" part of the ROSCO's job.

Paul

Edited by Fenman

• RMweb Premium

If it is 4 x 4 car units there isn't a lot of difference with the space of the loco and the intermediate cabs along the train

Also look at a pendelino as see how space is wasted on those foul things

True - but is this what they are proposing?

Previous talk about replacement EMUs has suggested a AC version of the 444s 5x23m rather than 4x20m sets.

Also the Pendalinos are 110MPH+ units* - which means they need to be built with grater 'crumple zones' etc than is the case with other EMUs plus they have things like an on board shop.

Having looked at the comments on WNXX, this is a replacement of the entire fleet. Anybody want to preserve a BR designed and built MK3 EMU?

And as to passenger comfort, what numbers are put onto that? The bean counters at the DaFT cannot put a number to that, but they can put a number to the amount of seats into/out of London at the peaks. Want to bet that the announcements to come keep saying how many more seats have been provided?

• RMweb Gold

I think it's too early to say Phil. Apparently the vehicles are from bombardier thankfully not Siemens.

But if they want to do Norwich in an hour and a half I would have thought some sections would have to be 125mph

Personally I think the best solution would be Chiltern style rebuilding of the mkllls and 88s, but the public want new build even though they wouldn't know the difference

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There has just been an item on look East saying that 1000+ new' carriages' will be built.

The mp Clohe Smith was desperately trying to take credit for it all blaming current delays on old trains!

I'm surprised she knows what a train is!

Want to bet that the announcements to come keep saying how many more seats have been provided?

The number you're looking for is 32000 seats into Liverpool St during the morning peak:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/better-journeys-for-rail-passengers-and-boost-for-derby-train-industry-as-new-east-anglia-franchise-announced

A fairly impressive number IMHO

That's what the DfT notice says - including the Stansted Express Class 379s which are just 5 years old.

And now I'm curious - will that be the shortest lifespan ever recorded for a new fleet of trains designed for a specific purpose (I'm not counting trains which, when introduced, were intended to be a temporary measure before going on somewhere else, like the Thameslink Electrostars)?

I can't think of any in recent history (though I suppose there's the Cravens DMUs (Class 105s) which were designed to take over most M&GN services, but the M&GN routes were scrapped while the Cravens were being built - hence these low density cross-country units ending up in the wildly inappropriate position of operating commuter services out of King's Cross).

Paul

With quite a diverse (rag-tag!) fleet to replace it'll be interesting to see what vehicles are ordered. 

I guess the Stadler bi-modes will replace the 153, 156 and 170 fleets (not to mention the 2 "short sets") with Aventras for everything else?

That's fascinating - the almost brand-new Stansted Express 379s (which also cover fast London-Cambridge/peak King's Lynn services) are also going to be replaced with brand-new trains, according to the link.

I wonder what will happen to the 379s? They're vastly better than the ageing 365s on the Fen Line (it's actually a joy to get one of the infrequent 379s instead of a 365), and significantly better than the 2nd hand 377s that are meant to be transferring to the GN lines from Thameslink to replace the 365s.

I guess this is the "risk" part of the ROSCO's job.

Paul

Personally I prefer the 365, will miss them when they move on. The 379 seats to me are not as comfortable and feel more cramped (I usually use the table bays on either stock - though table and 365 don't really go together!). And as for aircon I'm not a fan, though the way some people insist on open windows in 365s is a minus point. Also, possibly because of the different route conditions, somehow the 365 feels more powerful & better riding, though it probably isn't. Be a sad day when they go, but then I liked a 37+9 mk1 better! All in all, I think the 365 is often understated.

Stewart

... And as for aircon I'm not a fan, though the way some people insist on open windows in 365s is a minus point. ...

Ha! I was getting pretty pissed a couple of weeks ago when temperatures reached the 30s outside, but people in the 365s were closing windows because they didn't want their hairstyles to get messed up...

Roll on the aircon!

P