Abellio retain East Anglia Franchise

Don't believe it has been mentioned before, but I have just found some more images of the new Stadler 'Flirt UK' units.

These are of the Bi-modes,

http://www.bahnonline.ch/bo/blog/15590/groesster-auftrag-grossbritannien-stadler-58-flirt-abellio-east-anglia-rock-rail.htm

Unlike the artwork in the link I posted previously, the yellow panels have now disappeared (not altogether strange given the 345s livery), but these now show a complete unit.

It looks to me that these units will have 'Power Cars', just waiting how long it will be before someone photoshops one into APT livery...

Might just be me, but I think these look pretty stylish.

Wild Boar Fell 

• RMweb Premium

Will it not be quite a big step from the platform to the train at curved platforms, with the doors in that position (e.g. Manningtree)?  Perhaps they'll have extending stepboards.

Will it not be quite a big step from the platform to the train at curved platforms, with the doors in that position (e.g. Manningtree)? Perhaps they'll have extending stepboards.

Not only that, if those are 20m carriages, the dwell times are going to be longer than they are now. We'd normally have 8 doors on each side of a 4 car.

Looks like lack of yellow panel is the way forward for GEML stock (just been sent a pic of the first Bombardier Crossrail unit which also has black ends). I am curious on how the 12 car sets will work. Reading the Stadler gumpf, Flirt units are 2 - 6 vehicles long, no mention of 12. So are they going to create a full 12 car articulated set, or is it going to be 2x 6 car sets with the inner driving cabs removed?

• RMweb Gold

But it won't be Paul, the mk3s are some of the most comfortable vehicles ever built.

Ironically when I've been on the mk2 68 short set many passengers comment that it is the most comfortable train they have ever used!

But it won't be Paul, the mk3s are some of the most comfortable vehicles ever built.

Ironically when I've been on the mk2 68 short set many passengers comment that it is the most comfortable train they have ever used!

The last time I was on GA Mk3s they didn't appear to have been washed for years and the insides stank of damp. GA may be rubbish at cleaning trains - but at least new ones will be clean for a few weeks, and hopefully the damp stench will take a little longer to permeate the upholstery.

I haven't ridden the Mk2 set - although, in fairness, isn't that a DRS set rather than a GA set? I spent many happy years travelling on Mk2s hauled by 37s, back in BR days, and have fond memories...

Paul

• RMweb Gold

The mk3s have all been refurbished and are absolutely fine not as good as the original seating layout but better than a unit.

The blue and grey mk2s are riviera and the DRS ones , well DRS. Those are even nicer with new carpets and reupholstered seats

The 37 set is here until the new trains arrive and the 68 one until the end of March at present

Edited by russ p

http://www.bahnonline.ch/bo/blog/15590/groesster-auftrag-grossbritannien-stadler-58-flirt-abellio-east-anglia-rock-rail.htm

Might just be me, but I think these look pretty stylish.

Wild Boar Fell 

I love them  :angel:

EDIT: I just noticed, that the artist's impressions were created by some chums of mine at Nose Design in Switzerland!  I wasn't aware they were preparing these, as that would have been a confidentiality compromise (although I should've guessed), but it goes some way to explain why I'm such a fanboy!

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

Although I haven't seen it reported official, I understand that the new Stadler units will be classified as;

Class 745 EMU

Class 755 BMU (Bi-Modal Multiple Unit)

Really looking forward to seeing these in the metal, my only previous experience of Stadler vehicles was the ABt 3-car sets for the Bernese Oberland Bahn (known as the BOB) which were excellent. 

post-13109-0-22463700-1499634372_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Although I haven't seen it reported official, I understand that the new Stadler units will be classified as;

Class 745 EMU

Class 755 BMU (Bi-Modal Multiple Unit)

Really looking forward to seeing these in the metal, my only previous experience of Stadler vehicles was the ABt 3-car sets for the Bernese Oberland Bahn (known as the BOB) which were excellent. 

attachicon.gifpicture 187.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

Those class numbers are very useful - cheers!  [work mode ON]

Does anyone know what the ID of the new Trans Pennine EMU and Bi-modes are likely to be? [cheeky mode OFF]

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what the ID of the new Trans Pennine EMU and Bi-modes are likely to be? [cheeky mode OFF]

The ABRail database suggests 397/0 for the TPE EMUs and 802/2 for the bi-modes.

http://www.abrail.co.uk/emurev.htm

Edited by 4630

• 1 month later...

According to The Railway Magazine;

745/0 - 12-Car EMU - London-Norwich (Stadler)

745/1 - 12-Car EMU - Stansted Express (Stadler) x 20 (Total of /0 & /1s)

755/3 - 3-Car BMU (Stadler) x 14

755/4 - 4-Car BMU (Stadler) x 24

720/1 - 10-Car EMU (Bombardier) x 22

720/5 - 5-Car EMU (Bombardier) x 89

Hope this helps,

Wild Boar Fell