Railways to Roads

pH

This topic came to mind because of a recent trip through the southern part of British Columbia. (I know - not UK, but allow me to go on.) On it, I drove over a couple of fairly long stretches of highway which have been built on top of the routes of abandoned railways. They are quite distinctive, having easy gradients and curves – they really stand out from other roads in this mountainous area.

The first stretch I drove was about 30km on BC highway 3 from Princeton to just west of Hedley, on the alignment of part of the Great Northern ‘Third Mainline”, intended to connect Spokane and Vancouver, BC (though through service was never started). A few days later, I drove about 30 km on BC highway 31A from the outskirts of Kaslo to Bear Lake. This road is built on the route of Great Northern’s narrow gauge Kaslo and Slocan, which was later taken over and converted to standard gauge by the Canadian Pacific.

I know of another section of road in BC built on top of a railway route – over 60km of highway 3 in the Elk valley, on the route of Great Northern’s Crow’s Nest Southern. There’s even a short tunnel on the route which was opened out to allow a two-lane road through it.

This all got me thinking – how many such roads are there in the UK? I know of the ‘Heads of the Valleys’ road, partly built on the L&NWR’s Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway. Also, the Edinburgh Western Approach road was built along the former Caledonian Railway line into the city. But what other UK roads have been built on top of abandoned railways?

Loads!  The A14 round Huntingdon between Huntingdon East and Godmanchester, the A14 Chatteris Bypass, a couple of misguided busways, part of the link road from the M4 towards Barry, the Llantrisant to Penygraig branch and many, many more.

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

The Otley bypass in West Yorks uses the old Otley and Ilkley joint line in part complete with some bridge abutments.  The A650 between Gildersome and Drighlington (west from M62 J27) uses the trackbed of the old GN route from Wakefield to Bradford.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

A minor road following the River Wye from Llanstephan to Erwood

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=311679&y=241916&z=120&sv=Llanstephan&st=3&tl=Map+of+Llanstephan,+Powys+%5BTown%5D&mapp=map.srf

The earthworks and bridges give it away - the yellow road to the right of the river.

I can still hear an Ivatt Class 2 echoing up the valley with two coaches on a Three Cocks to Moat Lane working every time we go fishing there

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Not forgetting the Connel bridge although it was a shared road rail bridge when the line was still open.

The line from Par to Fowey including the tunnel being a private road for clay movement after the tracks were removed.

Green Ayre bridge in Lancaster

• RMweb Premium

My avatar was taken on the former Denver South Park and Pacific trackbed at the top of Boreas Pass. The 1 in 25 gradient was a lovely steady ride even though the last few miles were all over 10,000 feet. It's now a gravelled road having been closed since the late 1930's.

Jamie

M60 through Stockport (under the viaduct)

This didn't actually occupy the trackbed, which was in a tunnel at this point and is visible further east and west very close alongside the M60 further east.  However works associated with the motorway did, I believe, result in destabilisation of one of the tunnels and closure of the route. 

The A47 uses the former trackbed of the GN's link to the M&GN around Eye and about three miles of the Swaffham-Dereham line.  Sutton Bridge has been mentioned but I think the A17 occupies the M&GN trackbed all the way to South Lynn. 

A34 uses bits of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton. 

• RMweb Gold

I shall be going over one on my way to work very shortly the A148 Holt by pass on the M&GN

Other parts of the joint that haven't been mentioned are the A149 near North Walsham and between stalham and potter Highham and the N&S joint between Yarmouth and Gorleston is under the A12

• RMweb Premium

Parts of the M90 over Glenfarg, the A85 in places between Lix Toll and Crianlarich....

Indeed, main reason for the closure of the Perth direct route was that using the trackbed through Glenfarg made the M90 so much cheaper

Here in North Wales, a 2 mile section of new 2 track main line was built in the 80s alongside the old former 4 track section from Colwyn Bay to Mochdre. The old formation then became part of the A55 by pass. A case of not using a closed line.

Similar happened in Welshpool where you have to cross the by pass by footbridge to access the new station.

And the by pass at Llanidloes is on the former Brecon - Moat Lane line with the former station still standing overlooking the traffic.

Archived