Bachmann Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-2T Old & New

Riddles

It would be interesting to know what the financial value of the coreless motor and Next decoder represent.

As this is a loco I like a lot I am running through my mind the work that needs to be done ...( A lot! ).

Tank top beading is too thick so needs thinning if possible. Wretched chimney to come off. Smoke box dart. Buffers. And those utterly absurd lumps on the tank fronts to represent what? Footsteps or the oil lubricators, or a strange amalgamate of both?

If the price was less I would resign myself to the work. The price really annoys me.

Don't forget to change the flat top dome.  Someone mentioned the tall slender chimney that some Darlington-built??? Ivatt Class 2 locos carried. I seem to remember I fitted a LMS Jinty 0-6-0T chimney some years ago.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Apparently Model Rail states it's a coreless motor but while praising the new instructions doesn't point out any issues with electronic cleaners or feedback controllers. I'm wondering myself how much of an issue is this? Is the V3 the same I wonder being of a similar age and presumably design of chassis

• RMweb Gold
Apparently Model Rail states it's a coreless motor but while praising the new instructions doesn't point out any issues with electronic cleaners or feedback controllers. I'm wondering myself how much of an issue is this? Is the V3 the same I wonder being of a similar age and presumably design of chassis[/quote

Richard Foster was the first to spot Bachmann's gaffe with the Modified Hall,so yes,it is odd that this does not get a"heads up" in the review.He is of course entitled to his opinion but I feel on this occasion he was somewhat over generous in his assessment of the Ivatt.

As regards the issue itself,I enjoyed reading it,as ever.CJL's review of the Hornby Adams tank is perceptive and incisive....and accurate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are all supposed to have changed to DCC by now .

I doubt it's even reached 20% penetration yet. Potentially a very lucrative market though.

No doubt it's projected to develop in the same way as operating systems and smartphones, enabling us to be flogged "better" versions of the same stuff over again every few years.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The new chassis does overcome the issue of the wheels coming loose or the plating wearing off, two commonly reported problems of their split chassis locos, while it does also provide the motion bracket which was missing from the split chassis version. Its not just to make it DCC friendly; you can make the split chassis one work with DCC but it requires major dismantling (and reassembly) to do so.

• RMweb Premium

In fairness to Bachmann, whilst I think the body is more railroad than main range I do think the chassis upgrade is a big improvement which is to be welcomed. I think that in today's market all locomotives should be dcc ready.

• RMweb Gold

Is this new chassis a completely new product, or does it use components from existing chassis?

Unless Bachmann have duplicated a lot of work, it should have most parts in common with the chassis of the 2MT mogul which has been dcc ready since it was introduced.

That being the case, I don't really see how they can justify either the price of the tank loco or the time taken to get it to market.

John

I bought a body from 'Richard's Spares', chassis from Comet, wheels etc from AGW and then put these bits in box which went in a larger box and is now in the loft!

Somewhere!

glad I'm not the only one..............got a big box under the work bench marked '00 loco projects'  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

I'm hoping that one day Bachmann drop a BR Std. Cl.2 2-6-0 onto its Ivatt chassis. In fact, seeing as there is some bitterness over the recent upgrade of the 2-6-2T chassis but not the body, Bachmann would now be better off developing a BR Std. 2-6-2T body for its final upgrade to produce something not already available and create a 100% new market.

• Agree 1

I'm hoping that one day Bachmann drop a BR Std. Cl.2 2-6-0 onto its Ivatt chassis. In fact, seeing as there is some bitterness over the recent upgrade of the 2-6-2T chassis but not the body, Bachmann would now be better off developing a BR Std. 2-6-2T body for its final upgrade to produce something not already available and create a 100% new market.

The agree button isn’t a forceful enough reply to that. Let’s have them!

Unless Bachmann have duplicated a lot of work, it should have most parts in common with the chassis of the 2MT mogul which has been dcc ready since it was introduced.

That being the case, I don't really see how they can justify either the price of the tank loco or the time taken to get it to market.

John

Yes but it is DCC ready in the tender with a 21 pin chip. Agree that there is perhaps no reason as to why the two types cannot share some common chassis parts, such as wheels and various side rods.

(although this comes with a production risk of producing a Hall/modified hall hybrid Ivatt 2MT style if production gets mixed up).

In fairness, most reviews of the Ivatt tank prior to the current upgrade had been very positive on this model, so I can understand that Bachmann felt only a chassis upgrade was required.

The most sensible and logical solution. Let's hope Bachmann take this on board.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 1 year later...

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is wrong with the split chassis of the 2-6-2 Ivatt please. As I have the chance to get one quite cheap but am undecided?

It is as good as any Bachmann Split chassis, perhaps better than most as the volume inside the loco is packed with weight (I prefer this by a wide margin over a split chassis V1/3 for example).

This means though that it won't have the higher smooth running qualities of the post split axle models. And as the model is packed with weight, hardly any room for DCC. I have one of the original batch, still runs very well and is fine but bettered by the more recent, lightly bigger BR 3MT 2-6-2.

Does the newer one have a different motor in it then?

I am not aware of any split chassis design using the same motor as the later normal chassis designs. I don't own the latest version as I was happy enough with the original and already have the 3MT - brought years ago for a fraction of the current 2MT - which doubtless is to a similar standard (DCC set up aside). My money also went into the recent tank engines of the Hornby H class - that is more suited to my interests.

That said Bachmann would have replaced the wheels, bearings, pickups and gears for sure and dountless the motor and worm with it.

• RMweb Gold

Hello All,
I should like to fettle my new Bachman Ivatt 2 Micky Mouse Tank to represent a BR(S) loco circa 1963.  Where can a get the correct taller chimney for a later built example and a dome that's the right shape?
Cheers.

• 4 months later...

Don't forget to change the flat top dome.  Someone mentioned the tall slender chimney that some Darlington-built??? Ivatt Class 2 locos carried. I seem to remember I fitted a LMS Jinty 0-6-0T chimney some years ago.

Regarding the dome, my original Bachman "Micky Mouse" featured a skinny tapered type dome, was this prototypical? Later models and those I've seen 'Live', have a much more substantial dome with a flat top. Were there variations with the domes as well as the chimneys?