Uncoupling Kadees - The stick becomes an uncoupling BRUSH!

shortliner

Callum in South Africa found this, and posted it on the Big Blue forum - I think it deserves much wider distribution and knowledge - One of the best tools I have used for uncoupling Kadees - The man who thought of it originally deserves a knighthood!

How's this for a great idea as an un-coupling tool...I'll definitely give them a try. I know I can get them locally, cheap and also a lot less bulky that these...

http://bogonggeehirailway.blogspot.co.za/2016/01/uncoupling.html

[unquote]

NB The cheapest I have found is Lidl !

Callum in South Africa found this, and posted it on the Big Blue forum - I think it deserves much wider distribution and knowledge - One of the best tools I have used for uncoupling Kadees - The man who thought of it originally deserves a knighthood!

Jack,

Which size?  I note that they go from 0.4mm diameter up to 1.5mm (black) and they might even go larger but I haven't found any yet. :-)

Jim.

Very neat, a splendid idea.

I use kebab sticks though, got a pack given to me some years back. They are nice and long, particulatlary when used over a backscene, not easy to lose around the layout, tho' I have managed that.

John

I'm considering adapting the tooth-gap-poking device and fitting a nice long barbie-skewer handle - My usual device is a Barbie-skewer anyway, but I am impressed by the way the bristles seem to grab the couplers and open them. I think some experimentation may be called for. Glad to see that people are finding this post of interest.

The only passenger stock I have is some Athearn RDCs, and they rarely get a run-out - The cut-down, half-pint RDC currently abuilding [awaiting some putty for crack filling] will only ever run by itself. I would have thought that gangwayed stock was very difficult to uncouple without magnets.

• RMweb Premium

Looks a great idea and on my next visit to Morrisons I will get some.

I take it you are all aware that Kadee have a uncoupling tool in their range.

Terry

The best tool I've found is the RailCrew uncoupler. I was a firm believer in chopping the tails off and using a skewer as most other magnet-derived methods never quite seemed reliable enough, until I discovered these.

I have the plastic Kadee uncoupler stick, hardly use it, I find the bbq skewer works best...but I will definately try these mini-brushes, especially since I have been using them for years on my teeth and have a drawer full. And I never ever thought of trying them to uncouple my cars

I did a quick recce in the local shopping centre this afternoon and Superdrug and Boots had a good range of the Tepe brushes going from 0.4mm to 0.8mm.  Boots had a 3 for 2 offer on the Tepe brushes.  But they also had another brand called Dentek with a pack of three sizes - 0.4mm, 0.5mm and 0.6mm.  The Dentek pack of ten cost £4 and the Tepe packs of six cost £3.25

post-542-0-83938400-1471531162.jpg

The Dentek brushes also look as though they might be a better shape, with a narrower, tubular body, than the wider Tepe ones.

post-542-0-16419600-1471531183.jpg

Jim.

• RMweb Gold

I've had a decent amount of success using handles from those cheap kiddies paint brushes that come with coarse nylon bristles.

Cut off the business end and give the handle a rub with some fine wet-and-dry to remove the moulding lines and away you go.

All mine have had an oval section which seems to work better than the circular one of cocktail or kebab sticks. Most are brightly coloured, too, so fairly hard to lose!

I think I have a packet of those interdental brushes lurking somewhere so I'll give them a try.

I agree that the "official" Kadee tool is either pretty ineffective or I haven't got the knack of using it.

John

Personally, I find a cheap and nasty cross point screwdriver, as sometimes found in Christmas crackers, ideal. And it cost nothing.

Simon

Crackers with screwdrivers in them?? :O

Christmas sounds like a scream at your house, Simon!! :lol: ;)

Archived