RMweb

Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Phil, what is the overall size is this layout ? 

is it a exhibition one or fully home based.?

Phase 1 is 12 x 10

Phase 2 doubles that - 24 x 10

Only way to set it up at home is in the garden when the sun shines! Will be fun with phase 2

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope it's an exhibition layout because he has agreed to bring it to Trainwest in 2015.

Geoff Endacott

Absolutely Geoff its in the schedule - will try and get down to 2014 show for a recce, is there a deffo date yet for 2015?

Phase 2 should be well under way by then - but not sure about completed

Pretty much a one man team these days when it comes to layout construction :cry:

But some great mates & family to help with exhibitions and running :)

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, a fair size,  must get to a show to see it in full glory

Would be good to see you Ralph

Current bookings for 2014 are Redditch (September) and Bishops Cleeve (December)

Then as Geoff says TrainWest in 2015

Railex at Butterley has been mentioned in 2014 but not a firm arrangement as yet

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin

It'll be work on a board at a time - with two or 3 joined up as needed in the garage

Off up the  community centre in a big van when I need to set the lot up!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Job 2 now completed - Baby deltic is back together - not finally tested yet

Found another job though - test and replace chip in Class 14, has never really been run in anger

Keeps me off the streets .....

Phil

A few folks have asked to see a track plan

Having played with several packages have settled on Anyrail - heres the result

attachicon.gifAbbotswood phase 1.jpg

Its still pretty rough and ready but you'll get the drift

12 x 10 ft

Phase 2 to follow!

Cheers

Phil

Having seen phase 1 at Cheltenham show - I'm really looking forward to phase 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent outdoor lighting today so got some snaps of the latest motive power

D1067 - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33639-Dapol-western/page-123&do=findComment&comment=1280530

and

D6992 - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80301-d6992-from-Bachmann-37254/

Looking forwards to getting them chipped and running

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This super photo - thanks to Maybach Music on Flikr - shows the terrain for the Worcester end of phase 2 nicely

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1015/8310561554/in/photostream/

Taken from the minor road overbridge by the Retreat pub in Norton, the M5 over bridge is out of sight around the corner - will have to be foreshortened significantly to bring the motorway bridge at least half way along this train.

Ignore the headcode - these are empty clays heading back south so 6V53 or 6V06 would be correct perhaps

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

This super photo - thanks to Maybach Music on Flikr - shows the terrain for the Worcester end of phase 2 nicely

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1015/8310561554/in/photostream/

Taken from the minor road overbridge by the Retreat pub in Norton, the M5 over bridge is out of site around the corner - will have to be foreshortened significantly to bring the motorway bridge at least half way along this train.

Ignore the headcode - these are empty clays heading back south so 6V53 or 6V06 would be correct perhaps

Phil

Looks like you will be up for a rake of Hoods then. By the way i saw a shot the other day of D5901 at Sheffield Midland on a test train, therefore it certainly got about with the boffins onboard. So is that the distant sounds of a Baby Deltic I can here in the distance?

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Looks like you will be up for a rake of Hoods then.  

Kevin

I'm sure Phil knows, these were not 'clayhoods' (with the 'tent' style covers) but they were rather optimistically called 'clayliners' - actaully normal 10' wheelbase, 5 plank fitted (high fit) wagons, usually with roller bearing axleboxes as they covered longer distances, with normal flat tarpaulins. I've realised now that, be really accurate you need 2 rakes, one with & one without the tarp's as they usually ran uncovered when empty (just to add to the work needed.....).

• RMweb Gold

To model these correctly, the tarps need to be folded and carried in the empty wagons. I have a photo (somewhere) showing just this.

Geoff Endacott

Or sometimes (I've read) in a van. Should also have said the 'clayhoods' didn't really go outside of Devon & Cornwall.

Forgot to say how much Abbotswood Junction appeals, I'm sure it will be even better with the extras added on.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich and Geoff

Yup clayliners it is - roller bearing 10' wheelbase, the bacchy ones are mongrels and wrong for both clay hoods - which should be 9' wheelbase but plain axleboxes - and clayliners - which should be 10ft with roller bearings.

As far as I can see all the bacchy clay hoods are 9' but with roller bearings!!!!

And yes we have 2 rakes, loaded with flat tarps and empties with the tarps folded in the wagons as Geoff says. That can be avoided by marshalling a van or two at the front of the rake to stow the tarps in which was done occasionally.

D1013 and D1048 both BFYE are available for haulage - D1046 and D1067 also on roster but in MSYP and MFYE - all wizzos were blue by the time the clays ran this route regularly - from 74 onwards.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like you will be up for a rake of Hoods then. By the way i saw a shot the other day of D5901 at Sheffield Midland on a test train, therefore it certainly got about with the boffins onboard. So is that the distant sounds of a Baby Deltic I can here in the distance?

Kevin

Certainly got to Wolves several times

I can see a scenario where it has run down to Gloucester - on a few maroon coaches or maybe even the Invicta LE Tribometer train - and failed. WR control would not tolerate such a monstrosity on their patch for long so the nearest spare hydraulic power is coupled to tow it north and dump it in the up loop at Abbotswood before running back light engine to Gloucester. Fitter comes south from Derby on next freight and manages to revive her - cue much revving and deltic din before she roars out of the loop back towards Brum and Derby

Hee hee

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Certainly got to Wolves several times

I can see a scenario where it has run down to Gloucester and failed - on a few maroon coaches or maybe even the Invicta LE Tribometer train - and failed. WR control would not tolerate such a monstrosity on their patch for long so the nearest spare hydraulic power is coupled to tow it north and dump it in the up loop at Abbotswood before running back light engine to Gloucester. Fitter comes south from Derby on next freight and manages to revive her - cue much revving and deltic din before she roars out of the loop back towards Brum and Derby

Hee hee

Phil

I can here the telephone ringing in control right now...

The beast was always at Derby everytime I went in the early seventies. On another note, wasn't there a 2-BIL there at Derby at one point as well that they had hijacked most likely on its way to Chesterfield for breaking up for some fiendish use by the boffins in white coats. They should have hijacked a rake of 4-CORS if it was for studies on train tilting for the APT, as on 4-CORS through Clapham Junction you needed your sea legs as they swung wildly about towards the end of their days!

So you might have an excuse for a 2-BIL in a few years when someone wants to dispose of a Hornby non runner cheap...

Now thats thinking outside of the box!

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes - scrap is a useful traffic source

Several Claytons, a Class 16 and several class 74s met their fate at the hands of the local scappy in Birds yard at Long Marston together with many diesel shunters, steam and underground stock.

Have done a tubbyduff as D1725 in BFYE specifically to haul 75002/6/13 and 92138 there when phase 1 is done - that was a working witnessed at Worcester.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phil....Phil... Phil, you have just phased me out will all your phases !!! loving the signs from Narrow Planet.

Nice aren't they! Will have to get some "Norton Junction Signal Box" ones done as a statement of intent.

P