Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Know what you mean Rob - when I was at school there were 4 Bullocks - not related!

So on to Nottingham..... Newbury must have been good or the crew are gluttons for punishment as they all want to do Nottingham too! Brilliant, thanks team! Jimbo planning to come on the Sunday too....

Phil

• Like 1

Phil,

Neither Russel (class 40) Saxton, of this parish nor Mr. Shawplan at Doncaster could shed any light on the colour of the traction motor blue line.

The only advice was to add white to blue.

I can do that.

Anyhow, review of what photographs available of class 40's which are modified made me realise that my memory is as unreliable as I thought.

The blue line is nowhere near as big as I remember. In fact, it's probably only about an inch wide and only just a bit longer than the 32 in D326.

That being the case, at 0.33mm, the transfer option I probably not a goer.

Probably the best option would be to line the loco directly with a bow pen using an approximation of the blue by mixing as advised.

Do you have access to the requisite equipment?

If not, do you have a deadline?

If not, I will be in your local (not the pub down the road) at the end of April.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Phil took a well deserved break from operating Abbotswood to have a look at the other layouts at the Newbury Exhibition. He left it to the capable hands of his assistants but  while he was gone prototypical operating took a downward slide and an intruder was spotted on the line.  This little loco seems to appear regulary when backs are turned.

post-22185-0-89263300-1488282586_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil, some great videos on here, particularly like the 20s whistling away.  I was at Newbury last weekend and spent a happy few minutes just listening to a Hymek ticking over at Abbotswood.  Thank you!

Tony

Welcome Tony! nice to know we hit the right note....

Phil

Phil took a well deserved break from operating Abbotswood to have a look at the other layouts at the Newbury Exhibition. He left it to the capable hands of his assistants but  while he was gone prototypical operating took a downward slide and an intruder was spotted on the line.  This little loco seems to appear regulary when backs are turned.

Hmmmmmmmm....a quick tow to Birds scrapyard at Long Marston could be arranged....hee hee

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are going to do it, do it properly :)

Andi

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well - if we stick some CBA tops on them and slap a Peak on the front then we have got the Tunstead - Margam limestone workings...so not too far adrift there Andi!

Hee hee

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The "to do" list before Nottingham:

FInish 125, 8175, 1584, 849 and 864

Additional weight in Hornby hoppers - got some liquid lead today so good to go...

Repair ECoS to layout lead

Replace lighting rig timbers we left behind at Newbury ..... doh!

Additional footstep on B end of D4, change handrails on D15

Order some Regent B tanks from Hattons - if Downendian brings his coke hoppers we will have a good rake of those for the LLantrisant - Kingswinford

Ensure all signals are working

Theres a recalcitrant GUV in 1B01 that kept derailing at Newbury, bet its the back to backs need sorting

Check headcodes in all locos and change as required, we are getting near the full wtt now so need to be spot on

Not too much there then!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

FInish 125, 8175, 1584, 849 and 864

Additional weight in Hornby hoppers - got some liquid lead today so good to go...

Repair ECoS to layout lead

Replace lighting rig timbers we left behind at Newbury ..... doh!

Additional footstep on B end of D4, change handrails on D15

Order some Regent B tanks from Hattons - if Downendian brings his coke hoppers we will have a good rake of those for the LLantrisant - Kingswinford

Ensure all signals are working

Theres a recalcitrant GUV in 1B01 that kept derailing at Newbury, bet its the back to backs need sorting

Check headcodes in all locos and change as required, we are getting near the full wtt now so need to be spot on

Not too much there then!

Phil

Both ends for your time period and the small handrails on both noses..................I will be checking as I am coming up on the Sunday.

And don't forget the additional overhead flashes!

Yours

Mr Rivette-Counteer

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee

Thanks Clive

She already has the extra handrails and OHLE flashes at both ends - I only had the components for the footsteps to do one end, must order some more....

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

That's smashing Bob .... mines a bit later, looks like this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/8012075882/in/photolist-dRw79D-dcZZ2m-qc5wq5-eRFypz-9wx2rb-yyABpx-nZMWhm-dzEmqX-c9daXS-dL3pit-fzy6u9-nZiDQg-p6sVy5-9LHSHB-awdBg1-ogsCH8-pK8awW-c3Kx8o-pF5Zdb-Ho8GkQ-nDqJeG-aDHtMG-nR76PZ-73RnCJ-6jcGYj-DHpw1u-sxds6L-K67cbc-Jjds7B-CLiWnN-JgdmrY-xQ7TFc-yyKFjs-xUu33e-JzVfC3-yyKNmy-JiwPeY-JhBuM3-oxKgBC

Will get a decent photo in daylight

Did D15 have a 55A shed plate on the nose end doors when green?

Prominent when blue

CHeers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Oh they'll be there Phil but looking a bit too pristine for my liking though, I have 15 now.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise that it still had its nose door when blue.

What was the date of the photograph?

Bob

Ah! 1967. Date with the photograph.

That's it! Copped her looking like that on my first spotting trip to Brum New Street - 3rd Sept 1967

Phil

Oh they'll be there Phil but looking a bit too pristine for my liking though, I have 15 now.

Neil

Yes ours are the same! They need to be black - and black - and rusty - and black!

Phil

It's a 44 with headcode boxes.

I thought it would be easier to fit boxes than to cut a convincing door line in the body.

Mind you, I did scribe the horizontal panel line that runs round the top of the nose.

I wish I'd seen Phil's 1967 photograph. I might have done it in blue.

That's still an option. Renumber this one because I do have evidence of a couple of the others in the north east and convert another to D15 in blue.

I think the boxes are from Craftsman. The only trouble is that they stand a bit too proud of the body. OK until you stand it side by side with a Bachmann 45 with boxes.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob