Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Carry on Bob - all very relevant!

Photos coming up

Phil

So firstly Bob - the discussions on specific locos are in no way a hijack of this thread! They are part of the layout and therefore I love to see how others have tackled them so please carry on.

So Class 44 vs Class 45 - biggest issue for me in using a 44 bodyshell for a 45 is the length of the bodyside grilles. On a 45/46 they are symmetrical - but not on a 44, one section is longer.

Hope this photo shows it....

post-7138-0-67041700-1488400505_thumb.jpg

So when Mark built D15 for us we gave him a 45 as the starting point - with the aforementioned Craftsman cast split headcode boxes - but also with the etched doors from a Craftsman 45 to 44 conversion kit.

Ended up looking like this...

post-7138-0-63363600-1488400622_thumb.jpg

I think earlier comments about the headcode boxes also apply - but there was no Bachmann split headcode model when the work was done. So could be tempted to do another with D27 as the starting point - that super shot of D13 up the thread would be favourite.

Craftsman also did the class 44 grilles to go on a 45 body but that change would probably be tough to reverse engineer - 44 to 45 . Downendian of this parish has been using them to do D9 I think..... Is the Craftsman kit still available to get the etched doors?

And finally to keep the wolf from the door heres D4 with her extra OHLE flashes handrails and footsteps to keep Clive happy.

post-7138-0-68656500-1488400980_thumb.jpg

So back to changing headcodes.....

Phil

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

The etches for 44009 were from Pete Harvey, much finer than the A1 set - I don't think Craftsman did the D9/10 grilles.

Neil

Cheers Neil!

Grey cells going rapidly I think

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Love your stuff Phil.

I'll see if I can find a cheap 45 with boxes.

Cheers Bob

Might be worth seeing if you can get the etched doors first....

Phil

The picture of all green D13 IIRC is at Gainsborough on a trial.

Worth remembering for anyone doing D11 or D12 that the front doors had a vertical slot in them, I think so that they sat back further against the headcode boxes when open. This feature doesn't seem to apply to the other three.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Gold

The picture of all green D13 IIRC is at Gainsborough on a trial.

Worth remembering for anyone doing D11 or D12 that the front doors had a vertical slot in them, I think so that they sat back further against the headcode boxes when open. This feature doesn't seem to apply to the other three.

John.

Hi John yes that's my understanding too! Cheers phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The "to do" list before Nottingham:

FInish 125, 8175, 1584, 849 and 864

Additional weight in Hornby hoppers - got some liquid lead today so good to go...

Repair ECoS to layout lead

Replace lighting rig timbers we left behind at Newbury ..... doh!

Additional footstep on B end of D4, change handrails on D15

Order some Regent B tanks from Hattons - if Downendian brings his coke hoppers we will have a good rake of those for the LLantrisant - Kingswinford

Ensure all signals are working

Theres a recalcitrant GUV in 1B01 that kept derailing at Newbury, bet its the back to backs need sorting

Check headcodes in all locos and change as required, we are getting near the full wtt now so need to be spot on

Not too much there then!

Phil

Oh gosh that was a big list!

So - 849 and 864 good to go, 125 too - chip for 8175 needs a reblow sp that's on hold

Heljan Regent B tankers have arrived, and easy to debrand also some glue resiude

Headcodes all done

Half the hoppers done....

Other jobs still outstanding, and also have chip for Wickham trolley so would be good to get that done too....

Its all go!

Crew for the weekend is now settled with Pierre, Downendian and Tagiatrommel - lost Digby and Jimbo along the way. Van booked....

Lots to organise as usual, but a good weekend beckons....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

I didn't realise that it still had its nose door when blue.What was the date of the photograph?BobAh! 1967. Date with the photograph.

There's also some video of it on iirc the diesel and electric on 35mm films, or maybe this:

http://www.videoscene.co.uk/diesel-and-electric-journey-through-the-60s.html

• RMweb Gold

So SWMBO was out for supper last night with work colleagues

Picked her up and home about 8 ...at which time she turned around and baked some millionaires shortbread supplies for the layout crew for the weekend

What a star....thanks lovely!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Up and looking to leave for Chez Bullock at around 9am complete with Coke hoppers and a couple of guests for the Nottingham show, 44009 and D1065. Frustratingly the Western sound chip has not been delivered on time, so will be the only 2 non sound fitted locos there! Will be rummaging through my Heljan spares after my coffee following a request from the Abbotswood CME yesterday.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Liam

Indeed I did - apologies for not replying, will do so once this weekend is out of the way

Was great to meet you by the way - and a credit to the SVR you are for sure!

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So a great day yesterday. Layout ran well, signalling all worked reliably... Well except for down loop starter which kept over travelling, looked like bobby had 3 shredded wheat for breakfast! Crew were brilliant too...was all so good I could spend time out front watching trains go by and talking to punters. This is a very friendly show too...

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Glad all is going well Phil, missing my hydraulic fix!

Is there any millionaire shortbread left?

Mike.

And there were hydraulics aplenty spotted Mike!

Lets see.....Relentless, Sharpshooter, Spartan, Superb, Triumph, Zambesi, Western Thunderer, Western Lady, Western Druid, D7000/7/57, D6331 all appeared. And yes theres some cake left which is surprising when you look at this crew....

post-7138-0-38961000-1490044837_thumb.jpg

Definitely the A team this weekend! But SWMBO says I haven't drawn those cloud curtains correctly......

Only casualties were a couple of signals - the arm fell off the pivot on the down loop starter and a crank detached on the up main home....and a sound chip went pop, amp blown as confirmed by Biff, so that will go back to ESU....and of course I had to buy a replacement for it from Biff too!

Phil

• Like 7