Hornby Bulleid coaches?

paftrain

• RMweb Gold

Getting on for 9 months and no birth yet. So, as I shall die before this happens it will be Comet or Bill Bedford sides on the carppy Bachman sides if ICBA. Yes, I know the Baccy sides ar a little short but I don't care any more.

L.A.Y. Zeebastard

Have faith, they will come! They must know it makes sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Need more catering vehicles....

Though I wouldn't say no to a Tavern car, even if from the outside there's not much you can see of the inside.

Bulleids would be nice, if they included lights, lights through the tiny tavern car window would be a little quaint too.

Edited by adb968008

Of course they will come. Post war coaches of three of the big four have been produced to modern standards,

that just leaves the post war SR.

What is more, there is a large choice of Bulleid coach types/styles for a manufacturer to choose from.

Hornby are asleep on this one, considering they've had Bulleid pacifics in their range for years now.

Also Maunsell restaurant car anyone ?.

Need more catering vehicles....

Though I wouldn't say no to a Tavern car, even if from the outside there's not much you can see of the inside.

Bulleids would be nice, if they included lights, lights through the tiny tavern car window would be a little quaint too.

Tavern Car trailers, ie the restaurant composites, spent the vast majority of their lives with proper windows.

16176257311_1c0d1f623b_z.jpgS7836S_SotonC_20-5-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Of course they will come. Post war coaches of three of the big four have been produced to modern standards,

that just leaves the post war SR.

What is more, there is a large choice of Bulleid coach types/styles for a manufacturer to choose from.

Hornby are asleep on this one, considering they've had Bulleid pacifics in their range for years now.

Also Maunsell restaurant car anyone ?.

If Hornby had to choose between doing their Maunsell range or embarking on a selection of Bulleid stock first, they probably picked correctly.

Don't forget that the first Bulleid coaches didn't appear until 1946, so only Maunsell stock is appropriate to run with the air-smoothed MNs they made in very early condition.

Apart from a very few used as travelling HQs for prominent figures, Pullmans were stored throughout the war.  

John

• RMweb Premium

Getting on for 9 months and no birth yet. So, as I shall die before this happens it will be Comet or Bill Bedford sides on the carppy Bachman sides if ICBA. Yes, I know the Baccy sides ar a little short but I don't care any more.

L.A.Y. Zeebastard

I have to concur old chap.

R.C. Farmer

• RMweb Premium

L.A.Y. Zeebastard

Mainline MK1s are the thing to use for conversions using sides I'm told.

Phil

The "trick" with the Mainline Mk1 coaches is that they have a slightly lower gutter ridge. Mounting the Bulleid brass sides with the top on that gutter line moves the upper sides outwards slightly, giving a better representation of the classic Bulleid profile. Of course, one can simulate that on the other manufacturers' Mk1s by simply gluing a length of microstrip along just below the gutters.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

Having recently picked up on ebay more than a dozen metal Bulleids, painted and signed by Larry Goddard, at average prices rather less than twice that of new Hornby Maunsells, I can’t see too much of a need right now.......

Full metal jacket......impressive...even more impressive is their pedigree. Question......given their weight (but allowing for smooth running wheelsets ) which r-t-r locos can haul a reasonable rake of them ? Just interested to know. :thankyou:  :thankyou:

• RMweb Premium

Full metal jacket......impressive...even more impressive is their pedigree. Question......given their weight (but allowing for smooth running wheelsets ) which r-t-r locos can haul a reasonable rake of them ? Just interested to know. :thankyou:  :thankyou:

RTR would be interesting, however I have a Kit built original West Country that would probably cope, but it is only DC at the moment and it would need a motor change before going DCC. TW has offered to do that for me as it was his loco! Such generosity between mates.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Having recently picked up on ebay more than a dozen metal Bulleids, painted and signed by Larry Goddard, at average prices rather less than twice that of new Hornby Maunsells, I can’t see too much of a need right now.......

Where do you find such gems Dudds? All I can find on Ebay these days is carp piles of dross (possibly 'cause you have filched all the good stuff).

Phil

I suspect that it's more likely that Bachmann will be the first to produce 4mm Bullieds. Remember that they've already done the research for the 1951 stock so it would be a matter of new tooling. I wouldn't be entirely surprised also if we saw a U from them as well, I remember speaking to their rep not long after the N came out and he sais that they had done the research but as sales for the N were disappointing they wouldn't be going ahead.

• RMweb Gold

The bogies do run, but not as sweetly as modern plastic ones. All are currently fitted with screw couplings, and will eventually be given Kadees. Weight is not much of an issue. Oddly, one composite has a number - 5731 - that Southern never used, and that is being used as a mule to sort the optimum arrangement for Kadees. It also has a bogie that 'loses' one axle, so some use of Bachmann Bulleid bogies will be needed there. I am unlikely to run more than 6 in one rake. 

Where do you find such gems Dudds? All I can find on Ebay these days is carp piles of dross (possibly 'cause you have filched all the good stuff).

Phil

I simply have 'Goddard" as an ebay search in OO Gauge, and the same seller 'Edwintrain' turned up trumps several times. He was also selling exotic stuff like Liverpool Overhead Railway vehicles, and some prices were rather higher than for the Bulleids. I got lucky, that's all. My final purchase was four fine blood and custard Bulleids for £210. I see he has a Silver Jubilee and seven coaches, built by Michael Edge, right now. For nearly five times that amount, mind!

• Like 1

Have faith, they will come! They must know it makes sense.

Not just for Southern Region modellers.  Remember that they were also used on the Eastern (GC, GN & GE sections) and on the Midland as well for a short time.  I would like a couple of blood and custard Tavern cars behind my Prince Palatine on the "Master Cutler".

• RMweb Premium

Not just for Southern Region modellers.  Remember that they were also used on the Eastern (GC, GN & GE sections) and on the Midland as well for a short time.  I would like a couple of blood and custard Tavern cars behind my Prince Palatine on the "Master Cutler".

That reminds me of the Gresley/Eastleigh convesrions of 1955. They were on the Midland first of all I seem to remember.

Phil

I think the Bulleid Tavern Cars as "one offs" (well "eight offs") are really more in the realm of the Rails/Rapido one-off LNER dynamometer car.   They won't interest even most Southern Railway/Region fans, and are an oddity.  Their detailing and livery would help justify their high costs.

However, back in the real world, further livery variants in Hornby's existing excellent Maunsell coaches would be popular (and "cheap").

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Gold

I think the Bulleid Tavern Cars as "one offs" (well "eight offs") are really more in the realm of the Rails/Rapido one-off LNER dynamometer car.   They won't interest even most Southern Railway/Region fans, and are an oddity.  Their detailing and livery would help justify their high costs.

However, back in the real world, liveries in Hornby's existing excellent Maunsell coaches would be popular (and "cheap").

Agree...but really no substitute for newly tooled Bulleids.They are long,long overdue.

Agree...but really no substitute for newly tooled Bulleids.They are long,long overdue.

They are long overdue. Hornby even produced a 2HAL, surely more obscure, and less commercial than

Bulleid steam stock. Another advantage for a manufacturer, of say ,a Bulleid 3 car set  is that only two sets

of tools would be required, as both brakes were identical.

There is also a good selection of prototypes, in preservation, to scan/measure etc.

Yes, but Hornby should be wary - the Bulleid coaches were previously done by Bachman - they MIGHT take it badly if Hornby try to "poach" them.

Having said that the coaches are long overdue for an update to decent modern standards - but the tavern sets are unlikely to be in Bachman sights even if they do produce a decent set of Bulleid corridor coaches.

• RMweb Premium

They are long overdue. Hornby even produced a 2HAL, surely more obscure, and less commercial than

Bulleid steam stock. Another advantage for a manufacturer, of say ,a Bulleid 3 car set  is that only two sets

of tools would be required, as both brakes were identical.

There is also a good selection of prototypes, in preservation, to scan/measure etc.

A couple of decades ago you might have had a point, however as the increasing number of 3rd rail layouts shows that is not the case today. Also the 2HALs were not 'obscure' by any means, being found on all 3 sections of the SR over the years. As has been noted before the Southern did not build any new suburban coach / loco designs preferring to invest in electrification and thus the 2HAL is in essence no different to Hornby producing the Fowler / Stainer 2-6-4T and LMS suburban coaches in recent years

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but Hornby should be wary - the Bulleid coaches were previously done by Bachman - they MIGHT take it badly if Hornby try to "poach" them.

Having said that the coaches are long overdue for an update to decent modern standards - but the tavern sets are unlikely to be in Bachman sights even if they do produce a decent set of Bulleid corridor coaches.

Bachmann (who almost completely ignored the Southern for the first 80% of their existence) probably only ever did the Bulleids because Airfix had already done the donkey work on them.

It's likely that they have been anticipating Hornby to jump on them since about 2001 or they would have got their finger out long ago.

The problem for us, I think, is that each of them have been expecting the other to do something......

Maybe Oxford Rail will beat them both to it. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling