Hornby Bulleid coaches?

paftrain

• RMweb Premium

Difficulty is bringing out a range of coaches where something already exists. It's got to abstract from revenue. That said Hornby could do with some Bullieds to go with their MNs . I don't know the stock well enough, but maybe produce different diagrams from those produced by Bachmann. I think there is a good chance Hornby could announce a new range. If Bachmann started now , let's face it, it would probably take 4 years to get them out , based on Birdcages and 2fs , so Hornby could get a head start. Also they are more likely to be reasonably priced coming from Hornby judging by pricing levels of Colletts. v Thomsons or Birdcages.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

Difficulty is bringing out a range of coaches where something already exists. It's got to abstract from revenue. That said Hornby could do with some Bullieds to go with their MNs . I don't know the stock well enough, but maybe produce different diagrams from those produced by Bachmann. I think there is a good chance Hornby could announce a new range. If Bachmann started now , let's face it, it would probably take 4 years to get them out , based on Birdcages and 2fs , so Hornby could get a head start. Also they are more likely to be reasonably priced coming from Hornby judging by pricing levels of Colletts. v Thomsons or Birdcages.

If Hornby were to produce a range of Bulleid coaches to a standard comparable with their Maunsells, at prices In line with their most recent Colletts, I don't think the existence of the elderly Bachmann offerings would have much effect on demand. 

Certainly not for me, anyway. :sungum: The Bachmann ones are basically to a late 1970s - early 1980s specification.

The only fly in the ointment would be if Bachmann were already well advanced on an (as yet) unknown upgrade to a standard matching their rather lovely new Thompsons.

However, given that Bachmann are said to have cancelled a planned S15 when Hornby announced theirs, I think we can work out who's most likely to blink first if there is a risk of duplication.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Hornby could bring out 2 Diagrams of Brakes (loose and two set Diagrams) and sell dozens, along with some Bournemouth Stock maybe? 

Phil

There'd probably be a pretty healthy demand for the 2-set and loose BCK without stepping on Bachmann's toes in the slightest. 

A Bournemouth 6-dining set with the faired-in solebars would be positively Droolsville............. :yahoo:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There'd probably be a pretty healthy demand for the 2-set and loose BCK without stepping on Bachmann's toes in the slightest. 

A Bournemouth 6-dining set with the faired-in solebars would be positively Droolsville............. :yahoo:

John

Oh yes and some Bournemouth Diners went onto the Summer service Exeter route trains as well. I would probably purchase a dozen Loose Brakes and there atre loads of folk that model SR Withered Arm lines so the 2 sets would be popular IMO.

At least thee and me would be in Heaven John :sarcastichand:

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes and some Bournemouth Diners went onto the Summer service Exeter route trains as well. I would probably purchase a dozen Loose Brakes and there atre loads of folk that model SR Withered Arm lines so the 2 sets would be popular IMO.

At least thee and me would be in Heaven John :sarcastichand:

Phil

The customary ACE, eight brakes (or was it nine) in a 13 coach formation..................

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only fly in the ointment would be if Bachmann were already well advanced on an (as yet) unknown upgrade to a standard matching their rather lovely new Thompsons.

John

Pretty unlikely I think, given that Bachmann tend to announce things way in advance , to the point of lacking credibility that their catalogue contains things for release in the next 18 months. You are correct though , `Hornby do tend to be working on things before announced, so it could be (sheer speculation) that were they to announce them for 2018 they would already be well on their way. Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

I think this has been mentioned before, further back in the discussion, but Hornby have developed their 58' under frame for the Maunsells and then gone on to use it for the rebuilt LSWR coaches. I cannot claim to be much of an expert on Bulleid coaches but would that not also provide the underframe for the Bulleid 59' Brake Corridor Thirds and Corridor Composite? That would be a quick hit for Hornby and might scare Bachmann into doing a redevelopment and more extensive range of the much needed longer versions.

I suppose development of the 64' ones will depend upon whether Bachmann have other things in the pipeline, and whether they think the market will accept another range of expensive coaches. However they have certainly left this particular goal wide open. I remember speaking to one of the Bachmann team at the Bluebell Collectors' Club event which is now several years ago and getting a 'maybe at some time in the future' reply.

Which ever way, given the Original and Re-built Merchants and Light Pacifics, plus the diesels and the range of less glamorous southern locos now available, I would think sales of any Bulleid coaches would be good. The lack of any Southern restaurant cars might even make the Tavern Cars a profitable development. One can dream!

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
  • Like 3

I think this has been mentioned before, further back in the discussion, but Hornby have developed their 58' under frame for the Maunsells and then gone on to use it for the rebuilt LSWR coaches. I cannot claim to be much of an expert on Bulleid coaches but that would that not also provide the underframe for the Bulleid 59' Brake Corridor Thirds and Corridor Composite? That would be a quick hit for Hornby and might scare Bachmann into doing a redevelopment and more extensive range of the much needed longer versions.

I suppose development of the 64' ones will depend upon whether Bachmann have other things in the pipeline, and whether they think the market will accept another range of expensive coaches. However they have certainly left this particular goal wide open. I remember speaking to one of the Bachmann team at the Bluebell Collectors' Club event which is now several years ago and getting a 'maybe at some time in the future' reply.

Which ever way, given the Original and Re-built Merchants and Light Pacifics, plus the diesels and the range of less glamorous southern locos now available, I would think sales of any Bulleid coaches would be good. The lack of any Southern restaurant cars might even make the Tavern Cars a profitable development. One can dream!

I believe the underframe from the Maunsell Pull-Push Brake Compo would be ideal for the Bulleid 59ft stock.  It has shorter battery boxes than all the other Hornby Maunsells, the battery boxes having changed from long to short during 1934.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that it's more likely that Bachmann will be the first to produce 4mm Bullieds. Remember that they've already done the research for the 1951 stock so it would be a matter of new tooling.

Except that some of us would undoubtedly prefer the shallow window Bulleids, which includes the all important BCK, rather than new versions of the current Bachmann offerings. For those I do think Hornby is a more likely bet and wouldn't duplicate Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

So are Hornby doing these before or after the LSWR Ironclads? ;)

The real question is:

"Do I start all these BSL kits I have, would be a shame not to as I've bought the Branchlines detailing kits too? Not forgetting the Bill Bedford etches for the Pull-Push sets". :scratchhead:

Of course the ex-Kirk Bulleids now in the Phoenix Precision range are staring at me too... the ba$tards!

Come on Hornby - gauntlet dropped!

Edited by Tim Dubya

I think this has been mentioned before, further back in the discussion, but Hornby have developed their 58' under frame for the Maunsells and then gone on to use it for the rebuilt LSWR coaches. I cannot claim to be much of an expert on Bulleid coaches but would that not also provide the underframe for the Bulleid 59' Brake Corridor Thirds and Corridor Composite? That would be a quick hit for Hornby and might scare Bachmann into doing a redevelopment and more extensive range of the much needed longer versions.

1950's 64' Bulleids are absolutely essential. I hope it will be Hornby....separate grab handles....sprung buffers....etc.

• Like 2

Except that some of us would undoubtedly prefer the shallow window Bulleids, which includes the all important BCK, rather than new versions of the current Bachmann offerings. For those I do think Hornby is a more likely bet and wouldn't duplicate Bachmann.

We need two BCKs - the diagram 2405 for 2-sets 63-75 and the loose diag 2406.  If the vents were moulded in the window glazing then with alternative glazing mouldings the  same basic body shells could presumably provide both shallow and deep window versions of the diag 2123 semi open BTK and diag 2315 CK?

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Seeing as some have now suggested EMUs, how about the Double Deckers?

You can even scan two of the cars.  :D

Jason

Now that would be a curve ball move wouldn't it? ;)

Realistically soemthing that is only ever going to be the domain of kits (MARC models and Worseley Works offer kits/models of the units).

We need two BCKs - the diagram 2405 for 2-sets 63-75 and the loose diag 2406.  If the vents were moulded in the window glazing then with alternative glazing mouldings the  same basic body shells could presumably provide both shallow and deep window versions of the diag 2123 semi open BTK and diag 2315 CK?

Chris Knowles-Thomas

I've got etched sides for 2405.  I bought them from your stand at Southampton.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as some have now suggested EMUs, how about the Double Deckers?

You can even scan two of the cars.  :D 

Jason

The DDs are a difficult item to sell, surely. Route-restricted like nothing else, only those modelling the Bexleyheath line would really have a use for them. An operational nightmare in the peaks because of extended dwell-time, particularly at London Bridge, this brave experiment didn’t really succeed.